The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sagging door pockets (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263049)

Wello 05-07-2019 08:49 PM

Sagging door pockets

Any tips on replacing the elastic in fabric door pockets? My interior is in excellent condition except the door pockets.

Thanks,

Dan

M2M 05-07-2019 08:57 PM

Re: Sagging door pockets

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wello (Post 1755191)
Any tips on replacing the elastic in fabric door pockets? My interior is in excellent condition except the door pockets.

Thanks,

Dan

Stop putting your Smith & Wesson in there.

BillCNC 05-07-2019 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M2M (Post 1755196)
Stop putting your Smith & Wesson in there.

Now that's Funny :D

My driver's side pocket is just starting to sag. It wouldn't be so bad if they both has the same amount of sag.

Regards
Bill

dansluck 05-07-2019 09:21 PM

Put the ammo in the other pocket. Should solve the problem

duke36 05-07-2019 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wello (Post 1755191)

Thanks,

Dan

You may want to remove the panel, poke holes in the backer panel at the pocket top corners, take a large sewing needle and feed it thru one pocket top corner and into the front where the elastic is with some heavy cotton line to draw it up tighter, feed the needle thru the opposite pocket top end hole and tie off and/or staple at the back.

russcochiolo 05-08-2019 08:09 AM

I basically did what duke36 is suggesting. I found that pulling the new elastic tended to put stress on the panel. My solution was to use a paint stir stick as a spreader on the back side.....problem solved!

chap52 05-08-2019 01:20 PM

I will try to explain what I did to tighten up those saggy pockets. I didn't want to remove the door panels.
I took some 1/2 inch elastic from my wife's sewing box and cut two pieces about 15 inches long. Tied the ends of each piece into a loop. Laying flat the doubled elastic was about 7 1/2 inches long.
After cutting a small slit on the inside of the pocket at each end of the elastic pocket I was able to clip and remove the old elastic. I proceeded to fasten a medium safety pin to each end of the two loops, placing the knot about in the middle of the loop.
Then I attached one of the safety pins on the elastic inside the pocket and fastened where the pocket is fastened to the door material, out of sight, fed the other safety pin with elastic attached in the slit and worked it through to the slit on the other end where I was able to stretch it and pull it out. Then I fastened it inside the pocket , at the seam, out of sight.
Hope this makes sense, It worked great for me, no more saggy pockets. Chap