The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Advise on rear emergency brake spring (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255728)

daveymc29 12-06-2018 09:47 PM

Advise on rear emergency brake spring

So, I need to take my brakes off and replace the lining, have the drums turned and the linings arched to the new cut on the drums. I'm okay so far, what has me stuck is how is the best way to get that e-Brake spring hooked around the operating arm? Can one do it alone or is that a two man job? Do I need to remove the radius rod to provide access to pul that spring around the actuating arm?
Today I intended to help a friend do the same spring installation. We were advised to hook a piece of wire around it and wrap the free end around a punch or such to make a handle with which to pull. He went under the car and I stayed just forward of the wheelwell and as he pushed the spring with a notched screw driver I pulled. All we succeeded in doing is proving I can still pull hard enough to break a piece of safety wire. Sent him out for piano wire for tomorrows show and tell time. Just hoping there is a better way. When the wire snapped I was lucky and didn't lose any blood. I have fears that I may not fair so well the next time. Thanks for any pointers. (I'll read Les's book tonight also. Thanks in advance.

J Franklin 12-06-2018 09:54 PM

Re: Advise on rear emergency brake spring

Use a string, wire, or stiff wire with a hook to pull the spring. Use a screwdriver in the other hand to guide it to the lever.

MAG 12-06-2018 10:05 PM

When doing the rear brakes that is the first thing assembled. With the Backing Plate off I install the spring and actuating lever. With the Radius Rod out of the way, install the backing plate then the Radius Rod. Then install all shoes, springs, etc.. Install E-brake lining and springs. Then connect the E-brake C shaped link to complete the installation.
When you think about it, How did Ford do it? Doubt he used a wire and something to pull it with.

J Franklin 12-06-2018 11:17 PM

"Doubt he used a wire and something to pull it with"

The wire, string, hook trick is when things are assembled on the car, of course it is easy when it is all apart.

CarlG 12-07-2018 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought this nifty little tool at Harbor Freight. Immediately solved the problem of the elusive spring installation.

redmodelt 12-08-2018 01:10 PM

I have found that not all the hooks that go around the lever are the same. Some are wider. My OP, is also some of the repo springs are made using too heavy of wire. Anything that can be removed and out of the way works great and if you can install with the plates off the car, even better. I have in the past used some not so nice words when installing them while working under the car. LOL I use a very strong wire loop and screw drivers to work them around till they hook on the lever. I have also trimmed the leg on the open side of the hook back a bit on some.

daveymc29 12-08-2018 11:32 PM

A little update. Pulled both sides off after removing the radius rods. Took 2 minutes to undo that in the front and the backs were going to be unbolted anyway, Yesterday I helped a friend put his back on and why one would fight that spring instead of just dropping the radius rods off is a mystery to me. Didn't even break a sweat and with two of us starting from scratch, had 'em back together in less that two hours. Now to get the fine fellow to return the favor when I get the shoes and fittin's.

Brian in Wheeling 12-09-2018 10:06 AM

CarlG....that's the tool! Use mine all the time, handy for lots of stuff.
Brian W.