The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How to Pipe-up an Oil Filter Canister (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186527)

Drbrown 01-08-2016 11:19 PM

How to Pipe-up an Oil Filter Canister

Aside from installing a brass "T" fitting at my oil gauge sending unit, I seem to remember that one can (1) use a flex hose connector between the sender unit and the canister side port and (2) copper tubing between the canister bottom port and base of the oil dip-stick.

Questions:

1) Where can I obtain the required pressure restricter ? (part # ?) or is it home-made ?
2) Where is that installed ?
3) What size flex line and copper tubing ?
4) Flared or compression fittings on copper line ?

Thank you for your help.

flatheadmurre 01-09-2016 05:06 AM

Re: How to Pipe-up an Oil Filter Canister

Im not sure what engine youre putting it on.
Earlier had a restrictor at the inlet of the filter later had a t-fitting with the restrictor and the oilpressure sender at the inlet of the canister.
Stay away from flexlines and use hardlines if possible.
Originals are flared tubing.

flatheadfan 01-09-2016 05:37 AM

If you get a chance check this out...http://www.frantzoil.com/catalog.html

They have a lot of parts and and a good information source of how to put things together.

Tom

johndee138 01-09-2016 11:05 AM

Anybody tried this toilet paper filter? I have heard of it before but........

JSeery 01-09-2016 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndee138 (Post 1220607)
Anybody tried this toilet paper filter? I have heard of it before but........

I believe they are to restrictive, they flow a lot less oil than the proper filter.

4t8v8 01-09-2016 12:35 PM

I put one on a '62 Ford 292 back in 1964.. It worked fine but can't really tell if it did much. In those days they recommended them as strictly an additional filter to help clean the oil, not to replace the original.

flatheadmurre 01-09-2016 01:02 PM

In my opinion a good filter has a controlled filtration area and filtration grade.
Not sure how you get that with something bought at the local supermarket...
But they sure is a nice vintage addon so just to figure out how to fit a descent filter inside.

Rowdy 01-09-2016 01:10 PM

Watching this thread with some interest as I plan to use my vintage firewall mounted Fram canister filter if I end up building the AV8 coupe. There have been many posts on the flathead oiling system and having not studied up on the system many leave me somewhat confused on how to make things work best. Some of this is because Ford changed the system a few times. Rod

JSeery 01-09-2016 01:33 PM

Rowdy, keep in mind that if you firewall mount the filter you are going to be dealing with a different arrangement as far a plumbing goes. If the filter is mounted on the engine hard lines can be used because everything moves together. If you use a firewall mount you will have to have flex connection on both the intake side and the return side. The engine moves in relationship to the firewall. Now this movement is very slight, but it will fatigue crack hard lines over time.

I not sure what about these systems is confusing you, they are fairly simple.

1. The original style system is a by-pass set up. That means a portion of the oil is bleed off through a restrictor and goes through the filter and back to the oil pan. So, a portion of the oil BY-PASSES the main oiling system and is filtered. Over time all the oil is filtered. A restrictor is required or the amount of oil through the filter can drop the oil pressure to the engine.

2. What is called a 95% filter system modifies the oil passages in the block such that the oil is routed through a remote filter and then back into the oil passages in the block. All of the oil is filtered except one passage that goes directly to the rear main, thus the name 95%. The pressure though the filter is the same as the pressure in the engine oil passages.

3. Full filtration modifies the system such that all of the oil is routed through the filter before it inters the engine oil passages. Again, the pressure through the filter is the same as the pressure to the engine.

All three system have their advantages and disadvantages.

Rowdy 01-09-2016 02:00 PM

With the money I will likely have wrapped up in the lower end with a stroker crank etc I am leaning more towards 100% filtration for obvious reasons. Still need to get the 59A engine broke loose and torn down. Ran onto a cheap running 8RT that I might use for a while, but am hesitant as I do not know if I will have to move the front engine mounts when I put the 59A engine in later. I hate rework. Some of this will depend on the waterpumps. It will be midyear before I commit to anything so lots to read up on. Rod

flatheadmurre 01-09-2016 02:05 PM

I have thought about adding same type of filter used for hydraulic pump systems as oilpickupfilter.
It should be able to keep the pump and engine free from any metal or other instant disaster stuff while the bypass filter takes care of the finer filtration.
Any thought on that aproach.
With modern oil and frequent changes the fine mesh of the pickup shouldnt clog up...or have i missed something ?

marcshall 01-09-2016 05:00 PM

I have a 51 custom, that has copper lines to the canister filter, that is mounted on the head . is this ok? or should this be changed to steel lines I have heard that copper will crack or and break

Jack E/NJ 01-09-2016 06:27 PM

flatheadmurre>>>With modern oil and frequent changes>>>

This is probably about all that's needed in keeping the oil free of harmful debris. 8^)

Jack E/NJ

flatheadmurre 01-09-2016 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ (Post 1220859)
flatheadmurre>>>With modern oil and frequent changes>>>

This is probably about all that's needed in keeping the oil free of harmful debris. 8^)

Jack E/NJ

Then why do we bother about full flow filtration ??

Jack E/NJ 01-09-2016 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatheadmurre (Post 1220861)
Then why do we bother about full flow filtration ??

Hmmmm---good question. But I'll guess cuz some of us are fussy. Did I guess right? 8^)

Jack E/NJ

JSeery 01-09-2016 07:38 PM

[QUOTE=With modern oil and frequent changes the fine mesh of the pickup shouldnt clog up...or have i missed something ?[/QUOTE]

If you keep the engine temperature up it helps a lot with the engine staying cleaner.

nospartsman 01-09-2016 11:29 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Soft line routing, at distributor is the hose with banjo fitting and special bolt.