The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model T (1909-1927) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Convert 1921 Kerosene tail light to electric (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273749)

Chris Haynes 12-07-2019 03:53 PM

Convert 1921 Kerosene tail light to electric

I would like to convert my 1921 Kerosene tail light to electric without butchering the burner. Are there any kits available?

dumb person 12-07-2019 08:17 PM

Re: Convert 1921 Kerosene tail light to electric

I'm not sure what kits there are, but i simply didn't install a burner.
Instead, just ran speaker wire in through the hole where the burner winder pokes out and dropped that into the fuel bowl where the wire made a U-turn, and connected to a bulb socket.

Jeff P. / MN 12-08-2019 09:28 AM

Quote:

Instead, just ran speaker wire in through the hole where the burner winder pokes out and dropped that into the fuel bowl where the wire made a U-turn, and connected to a bulb socket.
That is what I did on my 1913.....works great.

big job 12-08-2019 11:54 AM

I'm sorry but the thrill of it all is wooden matches and light em up . smell the smoke and
need electric I go in my 46 V8 LOL

Chris Haynes 12-08-2019 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big job (Post 1829481)
I'm sorry but the thrill of it all is wooden matches and light em up . smell the smoke and
need electric I go in my 46 V8 LOL

You can't have a kerosene brake light.

Jack Innes 12-09-2019 09:45 AM

I had a pair of very small but bright LED lights mounted under the rear body of a 1911 Buick & they worked very well. Following motorists need to see 2 brake/tail lights to understand what is going on. The same car has a pair of tiny Halogen driving lights concealed under the acetylene head lights. All of the flame powered lights still work but it is certainly safer & simpler to pull on a hidden switch when you are 1/2 hour from home & darkness is approaching.

big job 12-09-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Haynes (Post 1829701)
You can't have a kerosene brake light.

Simple learn how to drive, not me its them : its called tailgating $50 fine
However that car avitar how many stop light switch's do I have to go thru?

Chris Haynes 12-09-2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big job (Post 1829814)
Simple learn how to drive, not me its them : its called tailgating $50 fine
However that car avitar how many stop light switch's do I have to go thru?

The law here says I must have a brake light.

rotorwrench 12-16-2019 01:38 PM

Most all states have Slow Moving Vehicle laws. Now the definition is 25 MPH or slower so most model Ts could beat that but at night?. SMV laws also apply to horse & buggy vehicles that share the road with motor vehicles. They are truly SMVs. They still have to have two white forward facing lights and two red rearward facing lights but they also have to have the SMV orange reflective triangle and two flashing amber lights to be on at all times just like a farm tractor. Turn signals are optional. Many of the Amish buggies also have brakes fitted but they don't use brake lights and most only have two wheel brakes. Most lighting systems for buggies are LED and they use rechargeable electric drill type batteries with spares in the cab.

Most folks with Model Ts don't drive after dark but some like to live on the edge. I don't even like driving my model A after dark very often. Folks here in SA will run right over you if you don't go 70 mph.