The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What is "heat soak"? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205328)

700rpm 09-23-2016 11:06 AM

What is "heat soak"?

I saw this term on another thread in reference to a starter, and I asked what it meant but got no replies. I'd never heard it before. Whutizzit?

C26Pinelake 09-23-2016 11:19 AM

Re: What is "heat soak"?

Heat soak is when the starter has so much internal heat it will not turn over until cooled down. I have a 1931 Chevrolet and a 1932 Chrysler that suffer from heat soak. Wayne

Barber31 09-23-2016 11:27 AM

I believe it's in reference to heat cooking the internals of starters and solenoids.

Mitch//pa 09-23-2016 11:34 AM

http://www.knowyourparts.com/starter...hot-heat-soak/

Many cars use a heat shield to protect the starter and prevent drag

captndan 09-23-2016 11:38 AM

A welding term. Not sure what it has to do with starters. A large piece of cast iron must be heated in an oven or with a rosebud before it can be welded with nickel rod. Not many old time welders around anymore.

700rpm 09-23-2016 11:42 AM

Thanks guys. I love it when I learn something new every day.

2manycars 09-23-2016 12:51 PM

When i worked in the ford dealerships, we used that term to describe how the engine and the engine compartment heats up after the engine is shut off, as the coolant is no longer flowing to the radiator and back to cool the engine. This can cause fuel and electrical problems.

Kevin in NJ 09-23-2016 01:06 PM

When testing the coil you need to do a heat soak.

This is just allowing current to pass thru it to warm it up. Often a failing coil tests good when cold.

It is just a term used to imply getting something warm.

Like the engine compartment temp rises when you shut down because the heat is still there and no moving air to take it away. You get a heat soak condition with the engine compartment temp rising.

It can be applied in different ways.

BILL WILLIAMSON 09-23-2016 01:18 PM

Some have a whole different definition of the wurd.
Bill W.

Cornishman 09-23-2016 02:54 PM

You often use a heat soak when soldering to protect vulnerable components close to the heat source.

Tom Wesenberg 09-23-2016 03:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manycars (Post 1359185)
When i worked in the ford dealerships, we used that term to describe how the engine and the engine compartment heads up after the engine is shut off, as the coolant is no longer flowing to the radiator and back to cool the engine. This can cause fuel and electrical problems.

I agree with what Bill said as the most common use for the term. My Studebaker suffered from heat soak to the carb each time I turned the engine off. Today's gas boils too easily as compared to the gas of the 70's, and after 10 minutes my intake would be flooded and make the engine hard to restart. If parked for a day or two the heat would have boiled the gas and left the carb dry, and the flooded intake would have also evaporated, meaning I had to prime the carb or do a lot of cranking.

Anyway the thin stainless plate I made took care of my heat soak problem and this morning I went back to the metal yard and bought more stainless so I can make a heat shield for my Model A carb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornishman (Post 1359234)
You often use a heat soak when soldering to protect vulnerable components close to the heat source.

That would be a heat SINK. :)

700rpm 09-23-2016 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1359243)
I agree with what Bill said as the most common use for the term. My Studebaker suffered from heat soak to the carb each time I turned the engine off. Today's gas boils too easily as compared to the gas of the 70's, and after 10 minutes my intake would be flooded and make the engine hard to restart. If parked for a day or two the heat would have boiled the gas and left the carb dry, and the flooded intake would have also evaporated, meaning I had to prime the carb or do a lot of cranking.

Anyway the thin stainless plate I made took care of my heat soak problem and this morning I went back to the metal yard and bought more stainless so I can make a heat shield for my Model A carb.

That would be a heat SINK. :)

Maybe it's different across the pond? :confused:

2manycars 09-23-2016 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1359243)

I am having the same problem with my MGBGT with camero engine. I am making a heat shield from an old aluminum highway sign.

C26Pinelake 09-23-2016 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manycars (Post 1359301)
I am having the same problem with my MGBGT with camero engine. I am making a heat shield from an old aluminum highway sign.

Sometimes instead of shielding you provide ventilation. Wayne

BILL WILLIAMSON 09-23-2016 05:01 PM

Isn't it interesting what folks use to make things!
A friend had NO trunk lid for his Model T, used a HEAVY commercial baking sheet, upside down & air scoops from 1/2 an old headlight shell.
Bill Hoarder

Mikeinnj 09-23-2016 05:28 PM

http://www.edelblog.com/tech-tips/resolving-heat-soak

100IH 09-24-2016 12:54 PM

Today's cars deal with heat soak by keeping the electric fan running after shutting the engine off using temp sensors in the coolant. Some have electric auxiliary water pumps to circulate the coolant while the fan is running. This eliminates the rise in temp. and protects electronic components and may avoid an over rich startup if attempted during the heat soak period.

Jemelton# 09-25-2016 01:56 PM

It's what I get mowing my grass in an Iowa summer:D

Indiana A. Lover 09-25-2016 04:27 PM

HEAT SOAK it has to do with HOT-Rodding I was always Sticking the Biggest Baddest, Meanest, Engines into Small cars,With big comes Heat! My 55 chevy was grammed full of 392 HEMI Ran like a scolded Dog but when HOT would not Start. HEAT SINK:cool:

Cool Hand Lurker 09-25-2016 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jemelton# (Post 1360218)
It's what I get mowing my grass in an Iowa summer:D

Yah, dats tru in Minnesoda too, espeshly under certan parts of da body, ya sure :mad:.