The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Station Wagon (Woody) Body Kit (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302342)

AForUs 08-11-2021 12:51 PM

Station Wagon (Woody) Body Kit

Hello All,

I am new to the Ford Barn. Lots of great information.

I am looking for an individual or company that manufactures and sells as a kit the Model A station wagon bodies, complete with wood and hardware.

There are a number of older posts on this site but was looking for current information on the subject.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

ronn 08-11-2021 06:32 PM

Re: Station Wagon (Woody) Body Kit

Steve, dont believe anyone builds the station wagon "kit" any longer. Please speak with Brent, as he may be undertaking that task.

There are huckster builders, if that is a preference. Pleasantville used to build the wagon kits years ago, but are no longer in business. I remember pricing their kit at Hershey and it was 6k for the body 30 yrs ago. When you can buy a used wagon in the low 20s, it is hard to manufacture the bodies at todays wood prices.

AForUs 08-12-2021 07:51 AM

Hi Ronn,

Thanks for your reply.

I only recently started my research on complete Woody body kits and am not finding any source for them. As you mentioned, there are several companies out there that have gone out of business or are no longer making them.

I suspect that I will be buying a Woody when one is found to be reasonably priced, whatever that is. They sure are cool looking.

Thanks again.

Steve

BRENT in 10-uh-C 08-12-2021 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AForUs (Post 2045204)
Hi Ronn,

Thanks for your reply.

I only recently started my research on complete Woody body kits and am not finding any source for them. As you mentioned, there are several companies out there that have gone out of business or are no longer making them.

I suspect that I will be buying a Woody when one is found to be reasonably priced, whatever that is. They sure are cool looking.

Thanks again.

Steve

Steve, as mentioned above we have reproduced the wood for the 150, however not really in a kit form. I think the biggest issue you are going to have trying to do one in kit-form is locating all the metal pieces (inner fender panels, rear spring cover, hinges, and brackets). Those metal pieces are no longer being replicated either, and there is a large amount of those pieces in these bodies. IMO you will likely need to find a deteriorated original body that has all of those hinges and brackets where you can build from there.

ronn 08-12-2021 08:30 AM

reasonably priced for a "real" woody is not less then 20-25k in most instances and up.

29spcoupe 08-12-2021 11:47 AM

Check with Richard Currier in Cape Neddick, Maine. He makes wooden bodies for the Model T and A. I don't see any Model A on his web site, but he does advertise for Model A bodies. John

ronn 08-12-2021 12:33 PM

29, he makes beautiful bodies.............

never seen him make a wagon body though-speedsters, hucksters c cab......

AForUs 08-13-2021 07:04 AM

Thanks to all for your comments.

With little to no sources for the metal components needed, my "kit" search is over. However, my search for an existing station wagon will continue. Eventually, I'll find one.

Thanks again.

Steve

ModelAWagon 09-22-2021 09:52 PM

I run the Woody Wagons SIG Model A Station Wagon and Wooden Bodied vehicle group. The above comments are correct. A lot of the hardware is obsolete and not reproduced. There are no current body manufacturers around that are actively advertising.

People do list wagons and parts in my quarterly newsletter. Yearly membership is $20.00/year.

Feel free to email me at [email protected]

I will be at Hershey AACA swap meet in spaces OBH9-10. Swing by.