The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1941 Ford Pickup frame-off restore for the next generation (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150622)

mrfliboy 09-27-2014 07:19 PM

1941 Ford Pickup frame-off restore for the next generation

13 Attachment(s)
Mandatory introduction, my name is Jon and I'm doing a frame off restore for the next generation. My interpretation of that is, it'll survive another 60yrs or so after I'm done with it hopefully for the next generation to revive again.
Been a car buff all my life, specialized in VW's back when. On/off 10yr project completed 2001.

While traveling shows with my wonderful wife, she started liking old trucks. So I've kinda had a eye out for few years now while driving the countryside around here (northern IL, southern WI). On a recent job trip up north I ran across this beautiful truck on a trailer with a for sale sign on her. Haggled a price and had it at my house by the weekend.
July 2013

(I'll be updating as time permits)

This will be picture heavy, I like taking them but finding time to post is another. LOL

Motor had a couple stuck lifters, leaky fuel pump, broken points and carb full of dust. After fixing these few items I was able to get it to fire up. Now at least I believe I have a useable original flathead.

Motor running video 6 weeks in to restore, it was nice to get the original 31,000 mile motor running

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxtN...obTRusrwozsbuw

Mike B 09-27-2014 07:28 PM

Re: 1941 Ford Pickup frame-off restore for the next generation

What's all that "Clear" stuff between the roof and hood, and in the doors? ;)

Seems I;ve never found one with decent glass!

Nice start you have there!

mrfliboy 09-27-2014 07:33 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Hats off to all that have contributed to this forum, without the wealth of knowledge here I'd be lost or at the library anyway. LOL

Found a used 1940 Pass frame 15minutes from my house, whats the chances. Built a quick rotisserie for the frame and started stripping down the old truck.

mrfliboy 09-27-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike B (Post 952749)
What's all that "Clear" stuff between the roof and hood, and in the doors? ;)

Seems I;ve never found one with decent glass!

Nice start you have there!

THanks, within the first month I cracked the driver door glass, its pretty fogged up.

mrfliboy 09-27-2014 07:40 PM

10 Attachment(s)
After completely stripping the truck down, I decided cab repairs first. Picked up a bead roller and some metal and was ready to go. Made a cart to be able to work on the cab. Braced the cab and started cutting out the rot.

mrfliboy 09-27-2014 07:44 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Front inners and floor were the worst of the whole project so decided to try my luck at metal fab.

mrfliboy 09-27-2014 07:48 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Had fun using the bead roller for all the pcs needed. Finished product came out nice in my book. Should survive for many years or until the next generation wants to play with it.

mrfliboy 09-27-2014 10:42 PM

9 Attachment(s)
The real fun began, finally get to tackle a floor pan. Spent many days working thios and figuring out best way to accomplish it. All in all turned out alright.

mrfliboy 09-27-2014 10:43 PM

11 Attachment(s)
Just a few other areas needed my attention and I was able to get the cab outside for the first time.

mrfliboy 09-28-2014 07:51 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Time to start on the frame, its a 1940 passenger frame with surface rust only and a little tweak in the right front area. Removed the body mounts and we now have a truck frame. Frame horns also will be changed out.
Time to paint, I moved the whole frame setup outside for prepping. I decided to go with KBS coatings, mainly since I was able to purchase a frame kit at Jefferson Swap last fall (2013).

While on my stand, while rotating one time too many, the frame decided to slip and fall, engine stand leg kicked out. I decided to try and stop it from falling and ended up rupturing my right bicep. This is going to slow things down a bit.

Frame all finished time to move onto the running gear. Front end first.

tamnalan 09-28-2014 08:58 AM

Nice work! Hope you heal fast.

Can you say more about the KBS coatings? What is it? Cost?

Mart 09-28-2014 10:27 AM

Great work going on, get that arm better first, don't risk damaging it further by overdoing it.

Mart.

Shadetree 09-28-2014 10:33 AM

Great project! One of Fords best looking trucks!

mrfliboy 09-28-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamnalan (Post 952984)
Nice work! Hope you heal fast.

Can you say more about the KBS coatings? What is it? Cost?

Thanks

The way I understand it is KBS is a offshoot of POR 15 at 1/2 cost. $60 for kit , seemed to work fine for me.

mrfliboy 09-28-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mart (Post 953021)
Great work going on, get that arm better first, don't risk damaging it further by overdoing it.

Mart.

Thanks, arm is doing well. Amazing what you can still do one armed. Just takes a little while longer is all.

mrfliboy 09-28-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadetree (Post 953024)
Great project! One of Fords best looking trucks!

Thanks my wife and I agree.

elliotweiland 09-28-2014 12:30 PM

Why did you use an alternate frame? Was your's too far gone? I'll also mention that I'm very jealous... hope to find a 40 truck in the near future. Looks great and good luck!

mrfliboy 09-28-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliotweiland (Post 953094)
Why did you use an alternate frame? Was your's too far gone? I'll also mention that I'm very jealous... hope to find a 40 truck in the near future. Looks great and good luck!

thanks
Actually when I bought the truck, as we were pulling it out from his yard, I spotted some old frame rails. Was told 36-37 and mine for the taking if wanted. I thought they'd make great patch pcs.
After full teardown, pics in third post, full damage of frame rails discovered. Cab and bed atually holding frame together. Found a frame local, that was in fabulous shape and price was right.

Cecil/WV 09-28-2014 01:42 PM

Yeah, I saw that frame in the first post. It is bad!

mrfliboy 09-28-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecil/WV (Post 953130)
Yeah, I saw that frame in the first post. It is bad!

Of course when my wife got a chance to see the truck for the first time, she inquired about the frame. My response was the spare rails will work out fine. Later after seeing true damage, I realized replacement frame best bet. All I had to do was convince wife. Lol