The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New to this, looking for advice (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273709)

Cwillis29 12-06-2019 08:32 PM

New to this, looking for advice

Recently purchased a 29 fordor. Car is all original, runs and drives well. I would like to keep it mostly original as well however there is things I'd like to fix. The car leans slightly to the left, seems like the suspension is worn. Are the parts available to rebuild the original suspension? Can I add shocks to the existing setup to help with the ride? Any must dos to make it a better driver? Did look through the forum a bit to try and find answers before posting but was hoping this would be more concise. Thanks in advance!

1930artdeco 12-06-2019 08:36 PM

Re: New to this, looking for advice

Welcome Cwillis! There are parts galore new and used around. The lean can be caused by a few things: a broken center spring bolt so a leaf has slid around, lack of shocks on one side or frozen ones on one side.

How is the wood in the Car? There are a few lists on what to do with a new car. Here are some from me:
-Get the original manual
-Join a club (put your location here for additional help.)
-Drain and replace all fluids
-Get the Ford factory 'manual' and Les Andrews books from the vendors. they have all sorts of parts for a stock suspension as well.
-Learn about your new kid and take her out as often as possible for the smiles galore.
-Shocks Bill Stipe Or get some origianls and have them rebuilt. It may take about 8 to get 4 good ones.

Mike

Cwillis29 12-06-2019 08:48 PM

Thanks! Located just NW of Des Moines, Iowa. Thanks for the info about the vendors too, helps alot. The woods in good shape for the age. I'd bet its been replaced but she's also spent the last 5 decades as a parade car, hardly ever driven. Maintenance is the plan for this winter, going to do ignition, fluids and belts for sure and anything else I happen to find. Hope to spend a good bit of time driving it next year so want to spend this season getting it fixed up

mike657894 12-06-2019 11:28 PM

Plan for a new set of springs. Ive tried and tried with mine ground greased rotated. pushed to one side. just get new ones. and many different shocks available. I run some tube shocks on an agle in the rear and some friction shocks with standard dog bones in the front I got from a model T shop. The suppliers sell replicas of OE and tube kits.

Marshall V. Daut 12-06-2019 11:55 PM

Check your private messages on this website, top right corner of this page, right below the bold-faced "Welcome" message with your user name.
Marshall, Iowa boy in Davenport

chap52 12-07-2019 07:01 AM

Welcome aboard. Lots of great folks here to help you with your new kid.
Enjoy the adventure... Chap

Mulletwagon 12-07-2019 08:44 AM

Had the same lean problem. Turned out the shackle bushings and shackle on the lean side were badly worn. The perch bushing fell out in two pieces and the cross section of the shackle shafts were "D" shaped. Welcome to the forum and the hobby.

Aretino 12-07-2019 08:54 AM

Stipe Shocks!

Kurt in NJ 12-07-2019 10:09 AM

take oil can fill with thin oil--automatic trans fluid works --squirt way up into the area of the upper leaves, pretty much drench the whole spring, go for a drive, do it again

before you drive --have you checked all the fluids-don't forget the steering gear ---grease all the fittings

after the springs are lubed they will loosen up, then you will know how well the shocks work ---if you have stock shocks have you checked the fluid level in them?

DHZIEMAN 12-13-2019 03:52 PM

Welcome! And you will find a wealth of knowledge on this forum! And more than one way to arrive at resolution of fixes to the Model A.

ronn 12-19-2019 04:14 PM

all of the answers, missing the most obvious one regarding the lean............

get yourself a heavy set wife or girlfriend and all will be straightened out.