The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Stuck side cover for timing gear (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274781)

alexiskai 01-01-2020 09:41 PM

Stuck side cover for timing gear

One of my long-standing checklist items is to inspect the timing gear. I have no reason to think it's busted, but I'd like to get a sense of its condition. I attempted to remove the side cover to get a look at it, but after removing all the bolts it wouldn't budge.

Any suggestions for how to unstick this cover? Penetrating oil around the edges? Torch?

I'm reluctant to apply a lot of force, both because there's a lot of critical stuff in that area and because it's a good way to get some nasty cuts. I also don't want to remove the main timing gear cover if I don't absolutely have to.

1955cj5 01-01-2020 09:51 PM

Re: Stuck side cover for timing gear

You said you removed all the bolts........be sure to remove the one that comes from underneath through the oil pan lip.

I used a deadblow hammer to gently loosen the cover...

rogerkb1936 01-01-2020 09:52 PM

did you remove the bolt on bottom that comes up thru oil pan?

Gary WA 01-01-2020 09:54 PM

Oil pan bolt bottom corner

alexiskai 01-01-2020 11:50 PM

Thanks everyone, yes I did remove all three bolts.

J Franklin 01-02-2020 01:08 AM

A blow from a rubber hammer is how I get things to move.

ryanheacox 01-02-2020 07:40 AM

Rubber hammer or dead blow should pop it free.

62pan 01-02-2020 08:15 AM

Isn't there 5 bolts?

Jack Shaft 01-02-2020 08:43 AM

Get some help,the suggestions you initially made for removing the cover imply your skills lie else where than basic mechanics..please don't take that wrong,even if you do get the cover off a little help in technique will insure it wont leak,its encompasses three gaskets,two of which are partially exposed by the small cover.rip those gaskets and don't assemble it correctly you will pour oil.

johnbuckley 01-02-2020 09:53 AM

Removal of the side plate of the timing cover. To remove this undo the two retaining side bolts (7/16th) , the three front bolts ( 9/16th) and the sump nut which also retains it. The sump nut can be difficult to get at especially if the engine splash plates are in situ,- gentle leverage of the plate allows an extra few millimetres

alexiskai 01-02-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Shaft (Post 1837178)
Get some help,the suggestions you initially made for removing the cover imply your skills lie else where than basic mechanics

If my skills were in basic mechanics I would not be on this forum asking this question; "getting help" is exactly what I'm doing.

johnbuckley 01-02-2020 10:58 AM

Well said Alexiskai. Good on yer! Unsolicited opinion as opposed to useful advice occurs all too often on forums -even fordbarn.com . Don't be afraid of asking advice and try to ignore ignorant comments .

Stew Masche 01-02-2020 11:35 AM

A putty knife between the cover and block, tap lightly with a hammer.

katy 01-02-2020 12:04 PM

Probably stuck on w/gasket goo of some sort. Leave the 2 large bolts in loosely until it's loose. That way if you shmuck it w/a hammer it won't go flying.

alexiskai 01-02-2020 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 1837239)
Probably stuck on w/gasket goo of some sort. Leave the 2 large bolts in loosely until it's loose. That way if you shmuck it w/a hammer it won't go flying.

That's some good advice there. So I've had two main suggestions: (a) give it some taps with a dead-blow hammer, see if it shakes loose; (b) use a thin implement such as a flathead screwdriver to gently work into the mating surface and see if it can be carefully pried apart.

Thanks all, and to those who DMed, I'll go try this out.

Mad Mac 01-02-2020 02:51 PM

Leave it alone.

J Franklin 01-02-2020 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Mac (Post 1837299)
Leave it alone.

That is good advice often, but the bolts are already out and he has a curiosity.

Jeff/Illinois 01-02-2020 05:51 PM

Check your Private Messages.

Jack Shaft 01-02-2020 09:34 PM

Didnt mean to insult anyone.When you mention using a torch to remove the timing gear inspection cover you reveal a bit of your skills.

alexiskai 01-02-2020 09:49 PM

Ha, I do that all the time around here. I've started threads with "I've never done this before" and "Keep in mind I have no idea what I'm doing." I've asked about technical details that turned out to not even exist. I routinely reply to people with "What exactly does that mean?" When someone recommended a dead-blow hammer I had to google what that was (I'm gonna buy one).

People come to FordBarn for different reasons – well, I come here to get educated. I'm not embarrassed about it.