The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Truck based woody (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175939)

Bill 07-08-2018 07:47 AM

Re: Truck based woody

I told ya the kids wood really enjoy your wagon in the parade!! Do Hank Jr. and Johnny cash do great harmony on Surfin' USA? I can hear them now..Gotta 46 Ford and We call it a Woodie, Orcas Island here we come, Not very cherry it's an oldie but a goodie.... May it never end! Bill :D :D :D

GB SISSON 07-08-2018 08:58 AM

Us Seattle natives were never much into the surf culture. The music was popular here though. Many Orcas Islanders are SoCal transplants and I had numerous offers of surf boards to haul in the parade. If I were gonna put something on the roof it would be an ancient wooden extension ladder or something else related to the trades. Before the surfers bought all the old used up woodies, they made a good cheap work vehicle.

mhsprecher 07-08-2018 08:37 PM

Wonderful way to debut it. You have accomplished a lot with this one.

GB SISSON 07-09-2018 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks. I got a close up of Woodie before I take him and his microphone off the hood for everyday driving.

DocJohn 07-29-2018 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB SISSON (Post 1647131)
What do you guys think? I like it, but there's still a part of me that says 'body color', a green.. This looks nice to me so it will most likely stay. I found some white spray primer so I painted the wheels with that first so the tacoma cream spray would go further.

I think that it is fabulous! As you said in my thread, the way you've done the rear is very similar to my UK built Pilot Woodie.

GB SISSON 07-29-2018 03:48 PM

Thank you Doctor!

GB SISSON 10-13-2018 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello again! I miss the excitement of building the woodie. All the stuff to figure out and to source, just the mental exercise in general. I have only taken her to the mainland once but have now managed to rack up in excess of 1000 miles on the island. On the interstate I managed a top speed of 66 mph as verified by my speedometer app on my phone. It was a hot day and I was pushing it for standard pickup gearing, and it belched out a bunch of coolant, but I added some and kept it just below 60 for the next half hour and it was fine. I added the correct shroud and fine since. The good driving days for a woodie are coming to an end later this fall, but I'll be heading into town after a couple of shop hours building regular woodwork for customers. There are only 3 coats of spar varnish on the wood and I'm hoping to get a fourth with our dry Fall weather we are experiencing. There are some winter projects here for sure, such as finding matching front seats and getting them in for a recover. Currently it's a landcruiser seat for me and some unknown vintage bucket seat for Ma. Fortunately, the gorrilla tape upholstery has help up well for the summer. Here's a shot in Anacortes Wa. from that mainland trip.

VeryTangled 10-13-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB SISSON (Post 1685184)
Here's a shot in Anacortes Wa. from that mainland trip.

Drive on GB, drive on! You inspire us with your skills.

47panel 12-16-2018 08:06 PM

Beautiful job !!!
Your parts supply makes me envious as I have a 47 panel (late model running gear 300/6, C6,9 inch, power discs on orig. axle)
My truck is pretty complete just needs paint -
Love your dedication to the wedge cabs !
GO (in Phx,AZ - a little dryer,hotter and one hell of a lot less trees!)

Tinker 12-16-2018 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Very cool stuff. SOOO NICE!

One of my favorite pictures from this thread. Quite the craftsmanship.

GB SISSON 12-16-2018 11:11 PM

Had a nice dry day yesterday, so I busted it out of the garage for a spin. It's time for a heater though. I have a nice three door example to install for a winter project. Like I mentioned previously, this was a blast building this thing!

hook00pad 12-18-2018 11:45 AM

I love the Woody. This has been a great thread.

Keep on Truckin'

Al Hook

38bill 12-18-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB SISSON (Post 1648876)
Us Seattle natives were never much into the surf culture. The music was popular here though. Many Orcas Islanders are SoCal transplants and I had numerous offers of surf boards to haul in the parade. If I were gonna put something on the roof it would be an ancient wooden extension ladder or something else related to the trades. Before the surfers bought all the old used up woodies, they made a good cheap work vehicle.

Around here it would be a cedar strip wooden canoe on top of the woody. Say..... there's another project for you.

GB SISSON 12-18-2018 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This showed up beside the road about a mile from here last summer. Nobody has touched it since it appeared. Rain and leaves falling into the open hatch way. I have resisted the urge to call the property owners, at least until last week. :) I got their son's phone number, but I'm afraid to call because he might say it's available. I have brought back a 32 footer that I paid a hundred bucks for and later a 26 footer that I got for free. At 23 years old we lived on the 26 footer (built 1930) and that's how we discovered the islands up here. Oh, and "somebody stop me!"

VeryTangled 12-18-2018 06:41 PM

Sweet Fancy Moses, son, you are disturbed. I vote for driving around that place for a while, and burning the phone number. But what fun is that! Full speed ahead! Experiences vs. mementos. A bigger fool paid to have it hauled there. :)

GB SISSON 12-18-2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeryTangled (Post 1707283)
Sweet Fancy Moses, son, you are disturbed. I vote for driving around that place for a while, and burning the phone number. But what fun is that! Full speed ahead! Experiences vs. mementos. A bigger fool paid to have it hauled there. :)

Thanks Jeff, I needed that. :) Actually a boat may eventually be in the works. My son, my employee and I are talking about going 3rds on a 14' aluminum skiff with about a 20 hp and trailer. And not a fixer-upper either!

51504bat 12-18-2018 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB SISSON (Post 1707300)
Thanks Jeff, I needed that. :) Actually a boat may eventually be in the works. My son, my employee and I are talking about going 3rds on a 14' aluminum skiff with about a 20 hp and trailer. And not a fixer-upper either!

This line from Jaws comes to mind: "I think we need a bigger boat"

flatford8 12-18-2018 09:31 PM

You?????.....in an ALUMINUM boat!?!?!?.......Mark

38bill 12-19-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51504bat (Post 1707339)
This line from Jaws comes to mind: "I think we need a bigger boat"

For what its worth I don't like a 14' boat. On our lakes a 14' tends to plow right into the next wave. 16' seems to reach the next wave much better and will usually run just as fast as the 14' using the same size motor and sim hull design. Anyway you may need the extra room if all three of you want to go out at the same time.:)

GB SISSON 12-19-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 38bill (Post 1707451)
For what its worth I don't like a 14' boat. On our lakes a 14' tends to plow right into the next wave. 16' seems to reach the next wave much better and will usually run just as fast as the 14' using the same size motor and sim hull design. Anyway you may need the extra room if all three of you want to go out at the same time.:)

Thanks Bill. I have never owned or ridden much in any aluminum boat. That makes sense to me though. I really do enjoy being a ford v8 enthusiast, so a maintenance free generic boat allows me more time to fiddle with (finish) my trucks, and still get some fresh seafood after work.