The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Painting Banjo Steering Wheel (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258056)

Woodie1 01-22-2019 05:57 PM

Painting Banjo Steering Wheel

How does one cover the banjo spokes to keep paint off them. Do you wrap each spoke individually or tape up the 4 spokes at each end & try to clean when done. The hub looks to be the toughest because you need to get paint between the spokes. Thanks.

adileo 01-22-2019 06:16 PM

Re: Painting Banjo Steering Wheel

1 Attachment(s)
The hardest part for me was getting it off without bending horn/light shaft. See pic for tape, good luck. Shout if you need more details.

Royal Ryser 01-22-2019 06:26 PM

I recently did mine like adileo did. Carefully wrapped each spoke individually. The more time spent doing that, the less time trying to clean up afterword. Spraying was no problem but you must be careful to get the paint between every spoke.

Woodie1 01-22-2019 07:40 PM

Thanks adileo. I thought it may be best to tape each spoke. Looks like yours came out nice.

adileo 01-22-2019 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Down by the hub I did individual wrap. Then covered the four with one wrap over lapping individual. Yes I was happy with the result

Detonator 01-23-2019 01:00 AM

Looks great! What paint did you use?

adileo 01-23-2019 06:42 AM

Thanks. I did it about 3 years ago and it’s holding up fine. I used Rustolium and then a clear coat.

swoopNZ 01-24-2019 01:27 PM

Short sections of drinking straws cut in half would do the trick to mask the spokes.

KGS 01-24-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swoopNZ (Post 1719549)
Short sections of drinking straws cut in half would do the trick to mask the spokes.

Not permitted in California...;)

TJ 01-24-2019 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KGS (Post 1719551)
Not permitted in California...;)

I think it's a felony to possess them in San Francisco and Berkeley, but it's fine to use the puiblic sidewalk for a toilet.

Detonator 02-09-2019 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ (Post 1719576)
I think it's a felony to possess them in San Francisco and Berkeley, but it's fine to use the puiblic sidewalk for a toilet.

Ha ha. Reminds me of a line from one of editor Dave Wallace's vintage car articles:

"Bashing all things Cali is as fashionable today as moving west was six decades ago..."

tubman 02-09-2019 08:58 PM

Well said "Detonator" One of the few things that I dislike about this forum is when certain members try to take a thread off topic to make a political point. That's not what we are about here. There are plenty of other sites on the internet where you can post your political feelings. Do it there; not here!:mad:

cas3 02-09-2019 11:09 PM

nothing political about it, its the law there agree or not

37coop 02-10-2019 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adileo (Post 1719049)
The hardest part for me was getting it off without bending horn/light shaft. See pic for tape, good luck. Shout if you need more details.

Yup agree,when I restored my 39 coupe banjo I had to remove a rear window to avoid an extreme bend...the wheel rim was broken to the metal in some places and cracked all over,I used a two part weld stuff ( can't remember the name) and much time and patience,I masking taped individual spokes and primer and painted and two pack lacquered to finish....15 years down the line still looks great.

37coop 02-10-2019 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37coop (Post 1725333)
Yup agree,when I restored my 39 coupe banjo I had to remove a rear window to avoid an extreme bend...the wheel rim was broken to the metal in some places and cracked all over,I used a two part weld stuff ( can't remember the name) and much time and patience,I masking taped individual spokes and primer and painted and two pack lacquered to finish....15 years down the line still looks great.

JB WELD...that was it.