The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Oil slinger, crank snout, crank sleeve. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280185)

Rocket455 04-28-2020 07:52 PM

Oil slinger, crank snout, crank sleeve.

1 Attachment(s)
Some of you I’m sure are recognizing my name by now. I’m not getting rid of this car in the near future. So I’ll be asking questions here.

The “oil slinger” key way doesn’t touch the key way on the crank. Maybe the new crank gear acts as both? I don’t know. See pictures.

Also, the crank sleeve I bought from Mac’s can spin on the crank snout freely. That doesn’t seem right.
The original one fits on the snout but will need a little love to seat it down. This one fits like a hot dog down a hallway. I only bought it so I can use the one piece seal. What should I do?

I have a video of me spinning the crank thingy on the snout but it won’t upload.

JSeery 04-28-2020 07:57 PM

Re: Oil slinger, crank snout, crank sleeve.

Problems with uploading photos is almost always file size.

Rocket455 04-28-2020 08:06 PM

Well, it’s a video too. So maybe we cant upload videos here. But I can spin it with my finger.

Rocket455 04-28-2020 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This sleeve thing just spins. I spin it with my finger and it continues to spin for about 2 seconds. It doesn’t seem right.

philipswanson 04-28-2020 08:19 PM

You have some wrong parts.

Rocket455 04-28-2020 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipswanson (Post 1880847)
You have some wrong parts.

Care to elaborate? Which are wrong?

Ronnieroadster 04-28-2020 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket455 (Post 1880841)
This sleeve thing just spins. I spin it with my finger and it continues to spin for about 2 seconds. It doesn’t seem right.

Sadly the reproduction sleeve internal dimension is to big your not the first to find this out it would be nice if they were actually machined correctly but as you see thats not the case. The sleeve should be a shrink fit so it stays in place. If it was me I would request a return and refund.
Ronnieroadster

Rocket455 04-28-2020 09:35 PM

Those too easy. And I have the stock one to use. And I’ll just use the standard seals on the end instead of the one piece.

But what about this “oil slinger?” it doesn’t fit on the key way at all. Extra part? Put it in my pocket and pretend I didn’t see it?

quickchange34 04-28-2020 10:17 PM

You need to keep the oil slinger . Once you install your crank pulley and the bolt and washer that holds it on it will hold the oil slinger in place tight against the crank gear.

Rocket455 04-28-2020 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quickchange34 (Post 1880903)
You need to keep the oil slinger . Once you install your crank pulley and the bolt and washer that holds it on it will hold the oil slinger in place tight against the crank gear.

Ok. So i'm also looking at this DIYford.com site that pretty much shows a step-by-step putting together a flathead V8. It doesn't look like they have the slinger keyway lined up on anything either. So why is there a notch cut out in the slinger if it doesn't lock in with the woodruff key? It scares me a little rhat something isn't right.
But I'll accept it. So slinger, crank sleeve, then seals with timing cover and oil pan in place, then the pully. And lastly washer and nut. That's it.

Ideucev8 04-29-2020 05:03 AM

Hi the notch is in the slinger so that you can slide it off & on the crankshaft snout without removing the pulley key.

Rocket455 04-29-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ideucev8 (Post 1880956)
Hi the notch is in the slinger so that you can slide it off & on the crankshaft snout without removing the pulley key.

I was thinking that. But the sleeve would be in the way if I tried to take off the slinger with the key still there. So one would have to remove the key anyway.

Whatever the case, I have seen and heard enough to accept what seems weird and just run it.

flatjack9 04-29-2020 11:07 AM

If your stock sleeve doesn't have a wear groove in it, the one piece seal will still work on the original sleeve.

Ideucev8 04-29-2020 09:25 PM

The same slinger is used from about 1939 through to the 8BAs & as the seal sleeve was part of the front pulley on the pre 8BAs you could slide the slinger off & on with the key in place.
Phil

Rocket455 04-30-2020 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by flatjack9 (Post 1881073)
If your stock sleeve doesn't have a wear groove in it, the one piece seal will still work on the original sleeve.

This is my original one. Can I use a one piece seal or should I use the two piece?

Thanks.

JSeery 04-30-2020 01:30 PM

Can you put a thin speedi sleeve over it?

Rocket455 04-30-2020 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1881662)

Don’t know what that is.

Rocket455 04-30-2020 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1881662)

I’m googling. I found an old thread here that shows a references a Napa part. Buts $50. Is leaning towards old sleeve and 2 piece seal.

tubman 04-30-2020 05:30 PM

I am not a pro engine builder by any means, but I have put a few together. I have never had a problems with a front seal leaking on any of the engines I did. After much research on the one piece front seals (use lots of rtv to anchor them in the pan), I decided I didn't want to use them.

I have found that if you are careful and use the kits that come with quality gasket kits, rear seals can be leak free as well. I did have a few leaker back when I thought I knew better than the gasket manufacturers.

Russ/40 04-30-2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1881805)
I am not a pro engine builder by any means, but I have put a few together. I have never had a problems with a front seal leaking on any of the engines I did. After much research on the one piece front seals (use lots of rtv to anchor them in the pan), I decided I didn't want to use them.

I have found that if you are careful and use the kits that come with quality gasket kits, rear seals can be leak free as well. I did have a few leaker back when I thought I knew better than the gasket manufacturersa.

Amen to that!

No reason whatsoever to use the "modern" seal. The ropes will outlast anything else.