The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Battery charger (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292702)

smurph 01-08-2021 09:22 PM

Battery charger

Anyone have a recommendation for a good quality 6 volt battery charger?
And a good quality trickle charger?
Thanks in advance
Smurph

AlexLohmann1 01-08-2021 09:28 PM

Re: Battery charger

I have a rolling battery charger made by Schumacher and a trickle charger also made by Schumacher. I have some battery tender trickle chargers and a prologix 6v/12v portable one. As you can see, you can never have enough battery chargers. Haha!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

eagle 01-08-2021 09:30 PM

This one is both: https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC...ts_id=15707061
Schumacher makes a good charger.

Ruth 01-09-2021 02:10 AM

Never had a problem with any of the Battery Tender products. The have numerous chargers and maintainers, both 6v and 12v.

I have tried the other brand with varying success.

Bob Bidonde 01-09-2021 08:05 AM

Schumacher makes excellent battery chargers. Here's one:
Schumacher SP1356 Charger / Maintainer 6V & 12V

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wc...6_pri_larg.jpg

shew01 01-09-2021 08:43 AM

Battery charger

This is what I use. The previous owner let it go with the purchase of my 6 volt Model A. I purchased a second one like it for my 12 volt Mustang so I can maintain both batteries at the same time. (There is a 6v/12v switch on it.) I especially like the price, about $20.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0051...b_b_asin_title

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ModelAMike1930 01-09-2021 09:43 AM

We use Deltran Battery Tenders on 4 of the 6 cars in my family. I have been using them for many years with no problems.

mhsprecher 01-09-2021 10:45 AM

I have a couple of rolling battery chargers. I bought two from Speedway. One gave up the ghost, so I bought a Schumacher. I think it is hard to buy a good quality charger. Just my experience.

denis4x4 01-09-2021 10:49 AM

I have remote battery posts on both of my A's to make it east to use a trickle charge or jump start some poor soul. 12v of course. They're available from Speedway or NAPA

katy 01-09-2021 11:12 AM

I have a "Genius" 6/12 volt, 4 amp charger/maintainer that works great.

There's lots of makes and models out there, check out the reviews and take your pick.

eagle 01-09-2021 01:18 PM

One thing to remember, slow or trickle chargers are much better for the battery than higher rate chargers. If one of my vehicle batteries gets accidentally discharged, if its not an emergency to get it on the road right away, I always use a trickle charger on the battery, leave it on for a couple days if possible. A lead acid battery likes a long slow charge to get it back in shape after the trauma of a complete discharge. Even if you jump start a modern car and drive it a while, when it gets home for the night put a trickle charger on it over night to bring the battery back up to snuff. Most of the automatic chargers will go into a trickle or maintenance mode after a few hours of charging, that doesn't mean the battery is "done". Leave it to top off. Longer the better, within reason. I know someone that parks his modern car for the winter and just uses his pickup. He doesn't disconnect the battery or charge it at all in the winter. In the spring of course it usually won't start so he jumps it to get it going. Batteries don't last more than a couple years.

Brubaker 01-09-2021 02:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Recently purchased a Genius G3500. No complaints.

2935ford 01-09-2021 02:50 PM

^^^^
I also have one.
Works great.

woofa.express 01-09-2021 02:59 PM

[QUOTE=eagle;1972137]One thing to remember, slow or trickle chargers are much better for the battery than higher rate chargers. If one of my vehicle batteries gets accidentally discharged, if its not an emergency to get it on the road right away, I
etc etc.

That was informative, thankyou Eagle.

d. 01-09-2021 06:26 PM

I have used a Harbor Freight 6/12, charger/maintainer for years with good results. It cost $24 on sale.
It reads the current voltage and shows when it is charging, like a thermometer going up.
It shuts off and maintains when the proper voltage is reached.
yes, it is digital and easy to read.

midgetracer 01-09-2021 11:30 PM

Battery Tender or NCCO Genius are good tenders. Schumacher last only one to three seasons. I have 10 6V model As that I keep a battery tender on all winter, which is long up here. Schumacher will warranty theirs if in the warranty period, but it takes at least a month when you send it in. I have also had bad luck with Black and Decker(usually last only one season)Some of my Battery Tenders are 15 years old and none have failed.

The Master Cylinder 01-09-2021 11:55 PM

I bought a Schumacher when I read a similar thread on Ford Barn a couple of years ago and I thought I would try one, even tho I have always used Deltran battery Tenders in the past with no problems. Glad I only bought one. It only lasted ~6 months. One of the Battery tenders I have had for over ten years. I have 4 Battery tenders now of different sizes.

Y-Blockhead 01-10-2021 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle (Post 1972137)
One thing to remember, slow or trickle chargers are much better for the battery than higher rate chargers.

I remember working at service stations in my youth. Someone would bring a battery in for a charge. We would pop the caps off and proceed to boil the crap out of them for a couple of hours until the customer came back, acid splattered all over the top and the ground. You could always tell where the battery charge 'station' was. All the black cement floor was eaten up and white in that area.
Wiped them off with the red shop rags that turned blue when they came into contact with the battery acid and they were ready to go...

Eagle, Excellent advice on the slow charge. I use a Deltran 750mA Battery Tender Jr.

California Travieso 01-10-2021 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder (Post 1972366)
I bought a Schumacher when I read a similar thread on Ford Barn a couple of years ago and I thought I would try one, even tho I have always used Deltran battery Tenders in the past with no problems. Glad I only bought one. It only lasted ~6 months. One of the Battery tenders I have had for over ten years. I have 4 Battery tenders now of different sizes.

I had the same experience with a Schumacher. I’ve also had a good experience with Deltran Battery Tenders.

I also have a 6V/12V battery charger and maintainer I bought at Sears many years ago. It is still working and I can select the level of amps to charge and use to start my cars if the battery is low or dead.

David Serrano

beefheart 01-10-2021 04:40 PM

I like the battery tender products, I also have a 40 year old Schumacher 6-12 volt charger that still works great!