The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   CCPU Technical Questions (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265319)

BadgerA 06-23-2019 12:18 PM

CCPU Technical Questions

I am going to be restoring a late 30 CCPU and have some questions for those of you familiar with these vehicles. I intent to restore this vehicle to near fine point status. Accordingly I have some specific questions as follows:

1-Color Options & Paint Questions

According to the paint and finish guide, there were only three color options in 1930, rock moss, blue rock green, and black. However, in the DeAngelis book it also lists copra drab. Which is accurate?

In 31, Ford "opened the spigot" on color choice options. When was this change formally instituted? Was there a clean break in January of 31,, or was it late in 30?

As we all know, the vast majority of these restored trucks are over restored with too glossy of paint. I am aware that supposed Ford offered the option of buffing out the late trucks. When was this offered? Was the top and inside of the bed left un buffed, which would make sense?

Were the insides of the cabs always body color? Some have told me that they were also black depending on the body color?

The cab to box splash shield was black. Was this dipped enamel like the lights, fenders, running boards, dispatch box,, etc?

2-Body Change Over
We know Ford used the flat firewall until around May of 31. When did they make the crossover from the 30 splash apron and fenders, to 31 style? Was there carry over into 31 to use up the 30 items or was there a clean break in January? I.E., were there early 31s (and expanded color options) in early 31 with the "old style" fenders and aprons?

I am aware that "you can paint it and do whatever you want", but I want to be accurate to known Ford plans. Is there a good source of information regarding the proper restoration of the commercial vehicles? The only book I am aware of is questionable at best.

Let the games begin,,,, and thanks in advance for your feedback!

Bob C 06-23-2019 12:35 PM

Re: CCPU Technical Questions

You may not have read far enough in the paint and finish guide, there is
another chart showing more colors used after Sept. 1930.

Bob

BadgerA 06-23-2019 12:50 PM

Bob, I stand corrected. You are correct in that they added six more colors. Thanks for the correction. However, I am still interested to know when the "1931" color options were added specifically. Thanks.

Herb Concord Ca 06-23-2019 06:57 PM

When I did my T/S in 2010, I think I read a Service Letter that listed the increase in Commercial colors, but today I can't find that letter?! My memory says the letter was written in 193.

Herb Concord Ca 06-23-2019 06:57 PM

Sorry can't type today! it should say 1931.

Bob C 06-23-2019 07:32 PM

Your right Herb, looks like 9-22-30 Indianapolis Service Letter.

Bob

Steve Plucker 06-23-2019 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadgerA (Post 1770521)
I am going to be restoring a late 30 CCPU and have some questions for those of you familiar with these vehicles. I intent to restore this vehicle to near fine point status. Accordingly I have some specific questions as follows:

1-Color Options & Paint Questions

According to the paint and finish guide, there were only three color options in 1930, rock moss, blue rock green, and black. However, in the DeAngelis book it also lists copra drab. Which is accurate?

In 31, Ford "opened the spigot" on color choice options. When was this change formally instituted? Was there a clean break in January of 31,, or was it late in 30?

As we all know, the vast majority of these restored trucks are over restored with too glossy of paint. I am aware that supposed Ford offered the option of buffing out the late trucks. When was this offered? Was the top and inside of the bed left un buffed, which would make sense?

Were the insides of the cabs always body color? Some have told me that they were also black depending on the body color?

The cab to box splash shield was black. Was this dipped enamel like the lights, fenders, running boards, dispatch box,, etc?

2-Body Change Over
We know Ford used the flat firewall until around May of 31. When did they make the crossover from the 30 splash apron and fenders, to 31 style? Was there carry over into 31 to use up the 30 items or was there a clean break in January? I.E., were there early 31s (and expanded color options) in early 31 with the "old style" fenders and aprons?

I am aware that "you can paint it and do whatever you want", but I want to be accurate to known Ford plans. Is there a good source of information regarding the proper restoration of the commercial vehicles? The only book I am aware of is questionable at best.

Let the games begin,,,, and thanks in advance for your feedback!

Get a copy of the MARC/MAFCA Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards.

Pluck

BadgerA 06-23-2019 10:19 PM

Pluck. I have a well worn copy of the JS. Many if not all of these questions are not addressed there to my knowledge.

BILL WILLIAMSON 06-24-2019 07:01 AM

How many say, "I'll restore my car to the Cats' MEOW & NEVER DO IT???
Bill W.

BadgerA 06-24-2019 07:30 AM

Say what?

Joe K 06-24-2019 07:40 AM

CCPUs, at least in the 1928-29 version I'm familiar with were painted "body color" - the 1928-29 palette limited to three colors.

The bodies were painted as a "unit" inside and out, to include the wood parts including seat back. Then, escutcheon mouldings and windshield were applied to the body afterwards. The metal parts were almost universally painted gloss black. The interior panels the color of your particular year and probably to match the upholstery.

The roof interior covering for my year was black cotton material.

Some trucks were done by the factory - but I think more commonly supplied to the dealers as "service chassis" and then the truck body applied there. My cowl was painted black (per the usual service body) but the truck body itself was painted the Gunmetal color, and the cowl overpainted afterwards to match. One can conceive the overpainting was not always done.

This last conjecture on my part. My body has stamping on the underbody cross-member which I take to mean assembled Somerville, MA.

Joe K

Bob C 06-24-2019 10:45 AM

"Were the insides of the cabs always body color? Some have told me that they were also black depending on the body color?"

In the Judging Standards see pages 12-18 and E-66 last line under 82-B.

Bob

BadgerA 06-24-2019 12:46 PM

Tnx Bob. Got it.

RonC 06-25-2019 06:15 AM

[Paint info from service letters

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/p...ors_Page_1.jpg
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/p...ors_Page_2.jpg
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/p...ors_Page_3.jpg
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/p...ors_Page_4.jpg
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/p...ors_Page_5.jpg

BadgerA 06-25-2019 07:13 AM

Thank you for the input Ron. A lot of color flexibility in mid 31 to be sure. Not so much in 30.

CHuDWah 06-25-2019 01:17 PM

The letter RonC posted emphasizes "COMMERCIAL CONCERNS FOR COMMERCIAL USE" which implies Ford wouldn't do special paint for just anyone. Was there any definition of what constituted commercial concern and use? For example, say Farmer Brown bought an AA for general work around the farm where he raised hogs to sell. He also used it to haul the animals to market. Would that qualify him for special paint?