The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I think I found it (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227480)

Minn-Tex Lee 08-23-2017 11:59 AM

I think I found it

I have been fighting a miss for some time. Today while idling the engine, I grounded out #1 and no change. I grounded out #2 and no change. Grounding out #3 and #4 each slowed down the engine speed.
I measured the dynamic pressure at each plug and all were at 90-93 psi.
I do not have the tools to do a leak down test.
I have previously lubed the cylinders with MMO to help in the event it is a valve sticking.
I am guessing a head gasket failure between #1 and #2 cylinders. However wouldn't that keep the pressure from being as high as it is?
I would like to hear some other fixes besides replacing the head gasket.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Lee

Anteek29 08-23-2017 12:30 PM

Re: I think I found it

Before proceeding further, have you checked to see if you are getting spark to plugs 1 and 2?

H. L. Chauvin 08-23-2017 12:49 PM

Hi Lee,

Two (2) Bingo guess tests from miles away:

A. Gap between the rotating metal perimeter tip of the rotor and distributor body's in-side metal lugs at all four (4) distributor body metal contacts measures: and,

B. The height of the (4) lobes on the distributor cam opens points how many thousandths of an inch:

1. _________? _________?
2. _________? _________?
3. _________? _________?
4. _________? _________?

100IH 08-23-2017 12:51 PM

And are the plugs fouled from the MMO? Stay on point, don't try another fix that is not next thing to verify. You need to verify spark at those 2 plugs, common possible cause: crack in cap causing cross-fire, Wires crossed (may not apply), try swapping the rear plugs with the front plugs. Then consider one intake port feeds #1&#2, vacuum leak at manifold gasket.

48fordnut 08-23-2017 12:56 PM

first find out if 1, and 2 are firing. A vacuum leak should not cause the plug to not fire.

Flathead 08-23-2017 01:02 PM

Don't pull the head yet! If the compression is 90-93 on all cylinders it isn't the head gasket. As previously suggested verify a good spark to #1 and #2 cylinders.As 100IH pointed out, it may be an intake leak, I would try spraying some carb. cleaner around the front intake port while idling and see if you get an improvement. Let us know what you find.

100IH 08-23-2017 01:05 PM

That would be called a lean misfire, very real in today"s cars. Lean won't stop the spark but it will stop the ignition of the fuel and air mix and it will send unburned fuel out to the hot exhaust and often can be a backfire.

H. L. Chauvin 08-23-2017 02:33 PM

FWIW: For often reported future Model A problems in general:

Lots of times, Model A owners have a Model A that's been sitting for quite a few years where they were formerly maintained with cheap, foreign Model A parts from the 1950's, (some from J.C. Whitney and others where points and condensers sold for only 00.15 each), prior to today's Model A modern parts suppliers.

If these cheap substandard parts are not removed and provided with some of the better than 1950's new modern Model A parts of today, Model A engine problems will always be a possible mystery.

Minn-Tex Lee 08-23-2017 03:11 PM

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I do have spark at #1 and #2. I will have to get a hand crank to further test point gap etc. I am very encouraged by the comment associated with 90# pressure would negate blown gasket.
I will keep you posted as to my findings.
Lee

JDupuis 08-23-2017 03:38 PM

Minn-Tex Lee. I had the same problem. Turned out to be a bad distributor body. It was shorted on the inside. It sparked #1 and #2 at the same time. So as it rotated to #2, it would spark #1 as well.
So when you grounded #1 and # 2 it would not change the engine idle.
Use an olhm's tester to see if you have continuity between 1 and 2 on the dist body.
Good Luck. Jeff

Anteek29 08-23-2017 06:54 PM

Minn-Tex Lee...keep us informed on your progress.

Big hammer 08-23-2017 07:00 PM

Jeff's got the right idea! It's usually between 3+4 thats shorted!
In one of my modern's , I was going through caps fast, the aluminum contacts would corrode. After about 3 caps@6$ each I asked who makes better caps? He said we have them but there 10$ each :-( Last cap I put on that modern :-)

Minn-Tex Lee 08-24-2017 10:18 AM

Good news --I think. Spraying carb cleaner around the manifold reved the engine up considerably. So now I believe the problem to be the manifold gasket. My engine builder insisted on putting the manifold on himself because he felt an novice would damage the glands. So now this is an area where I will be on new ground. I will now dis-assemble inspect and order new gasket etc.
I will keep you all posted with a new thread when I have more info.
WOW- I never thought of intake leak would be the problem. Thanks so much for the great ideas.
Lee

Redbird 08-24-2017 11:56 AM

Square up the manifold surface if necessary.

Minn-Tex Lee 08-24-2017 12:09 PM

It was indeed a blown gasket at #1/2 intake.
I am in the process of ordering new glands and gasket.
This is new territory for me so any advice to keep me from messing up will be appreciated. You guys are the greatest!!!
Lee

RawhideKid 08-24-2017 02:08 PM

ALWAYS dab a bit of anti-seize on the threads!!

George Miller 08-24-2017 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minn-Tex Lee (Post 1517992)
It was indeed a blown gasket at #1/2 intake.
I am in the process of ordering new glands and gasket.
This is new territory for me so any advice to keep me from messing up will be appreciated. You guys are the greatest!!!
Lee

some engines were not made for glands. Make sure they go in all the way in the head and manifold.

SeaSlugs 08-24-2017 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Miller (Post 1518022)
some engines were not made for glands. Make sure they go in all the way in the head and manifold.

all the way in WITHOUT a gasket... sometimes between the engine being decked and the manifolds being decked the glands no longer fit.

George Miller 08-24-2017 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaSlugs (Post 1518059)
all the way in WITHOUT a gasket... sometimes between the engine being decked and the manifolds being decked the glands no longer fit.

Yes. The other thing is a lot of time the rear of exhaust sags a little. That will keep the rings from going in.

For me I do not use them any more. They really are a good thing if every thing is right. But for my cars they work fine with out them. But every one should do what is best for them.

Anteek29 08-24-2017 06:04 PM

Glad you found the problem...instead of needlessly pulling the head. :)