The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Late V8 (1954+) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1957 Country Sedan front brakes (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283968)

vilanar 07-13-2020 01:09 AM

1957 Country Sedan front brakes

Hi guys,
I bet someone can educate me.
I´m checking over new to me ´57 Country Sedan , witch has "brakes overhauled"
Lines are new and internals look new also , but at front I can see linings between the drum and backing plate.
I measured that brake drum should go inwards 5/8 to be at right depth.
Bearings and races are properly assembled.
Question is are there drums with different "dish". Width of the drum looks to be right or have they changed wrong hub or maybe wrong hub and drum.
Work has been done while ago , so I can't say which part is new and which isn't.
Car has sit still in the carport years after that.
I did check Mac´s , Kanter and others but info is very limited.

Thanks,
Ari

streetdreams 07-13-2020 08:14 AM

Re: 1957 Country Sedan front brakes

does drum rotate or are shoes rubbing drum on inside keeping drum from rotating?

vilanar 07-13-2020 08:36 AM

Yes, they rotate and brakes work.

paul2748 07-13-2020 07:54 PM

If you have a shop manual, it should say what size the front brakes are. Then check the drum to see if it is wide enough to fit the shoe width. Wagons typically had larger brakes, maybe someone one put sedan drums on. Drums typically were swedged on the hub for those years.

vilanar 07-14-2020 08:17 AM

Regarding to shop manual , shoes and drums are right width... but they are same in so many years. Maybe there is different dimension hubs on some models/years.
I just hoped that someone has tinkered with these and rememberes what is right and what is wrong.

paul2748 07-14-2020 03:51 PM

The only possibility I see is the inner bearing is not the correct one, preventing the hub to go all the way on????.

The other possibility is you have the wrong backing plates???

Does the spindle nut seem to be correct when the hub is tightened up?

Pull the hub - put some clay or similar material on the spindle, put the hub on and tighten up. The pull the hub off and see what you have

Let us know what you find

bobss396 07-16-2020 07:11 AM

So the brake shoes may have a step worn in them? Probably has an odd-ball set of drums and hubs on it, any idea where they came from?

vilanar 07-22-2020 10:34 AM

Shoes are new and drums are turned and they match widthwise(contact area). Hubs go all the way like they should , that is why I asked if there is different "offset" drums.Looks like backing plates are original so I'm leaning towards that hubs are wrong.