The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Head Torque (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276769)

rfitzpatrick 02-15-2020 01:43 PM

Head Torque

What's the maintenance schedual for Head Torque checking? Is it by millage, or, time ? Or what?
Thanks

DHZIEMAN 02-15-2020 02:10 PM

Re: Head Torque

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick (Post 1852225)
What's the maintenance schedual for Head Torque checking? Is it by millage, or, time ? Or what?
Thanks

For me, after a head or head gasket is replaced, I torque down to specs, then run the engine for a while, it varies, and then I re torque the head, by loosening each head bolt in the tightening sequence and repeating with each head bolt. What I have discovered using this technique, for me to get the same torque on each, the torque wrench, in all cases, moves further in the tightening direction than originally as loosened. Quite honestly once I have done this, that is it, no more to do unless some related problem shows up. And even at that, I am not sure any retightening had to be done, I just feel better about making sure.

Ernie Vitucci 02-15-2020 04:19 PM

Good afternoon...Many folks have found that checking the torque on flat head engine heads once year is a good idea and it doesn't take much time...much better than having a leak develop...Ernie in Arizona

Kurt in NJ 02-15-2020 08:01 PM

I torqued mine over a 3 days of driving, haven't touched it since--- ---35 years ago-- using the tool kit wrench that came with the car

Bob Bidonde 02-16-2020 11:57 AM

The cylinder head to block joint is elastic in that the head gasket is compressible. Until the head gasket is compressed to its maximum amount, the torque of the head nuts will decay. In my opinion, its a good idea to check the head nut torque annually.
By the way, it is also a good idea to have a stop leak additive in the coolant. I use Barr's pellets, 1/2 of a jar full without anti-freeze. Barr's has a water soluble oil that is excellent for the water pump, and it also does the function of an anti-freeze.

Purdy Swoft 02-16-2020 02:07 PM

Does that mean that it will also prevent the engine from freezing and cracking ?

Y-Blockhead 02-16-2020 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 1852465)
Barr's has a water soluble oil that is excellent for the water pump, and it also does the function of an anti-freeze.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft (Post 1852520)
Does that mean that it will also prevent the engine from freezing and cracking ?

I doubt it... :p:p

CT Jack 02-16-2020 09:55 PM

Bob Bidonde is correct about the need to completely compress the head gasket and check the torque at least annually. Someone said they 1st loosen the head nuts and then retorque them, not a good idea. The stud needs to be in full tension when the engine is cold. This is the only time when torquing should be performed. When a new engine or head gasket replacement is performed the studs will yield or stretch slightly when they are torqued to the proper torque. It is very important to have the head uniformly compressed as it eliminates leaks and warping. The engine is continually going through thermal cycling as it warms up and cools down. Maintaining the proper uniform compression helps to maintain continuous trouble-free operation. I check head torque at least 3 times a year.