The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Starter Jammed on ring gear (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174246)

juke joint johnny 07-25-2015 03:38 PM

Starter Jammed on ring gear

Got my starter Jammed on the ring gear in the Pickup . I guess the 12 Volts I have been putting thru it is trying to pull the ring gear off !!!

Engine locked up tight, I Have removed bolts on starter but can't move that either!!!
any Tips???? to free it off

Thanks in advance
John Cochran

Mitch//pa 07-25-2015 03:43 PM

Re: Starter Jammed on ring gear

a few threads down

http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174175

Barry B./ Ma. 07-25-2015 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juke joint johnny (Post 1127342)
Got my starter Jammed on the ring gear in the Pickup . I guess the 12 Volts I have been putting thru it is trying to pull the ring gear off !!!

Engine locked up tight, I Have removed bolts on starter but can't move that either!!!
any Tips???? to free it off

Thanks in advance
John Cochran

I had one like that, no rocking or pushing would free it and removing the mounting bolts didn't help either so I removed the outer starter case and put a large pipe wrench on the armature gave it a twist and it came loose. The armature wasn't damaged but the main problem was the pinion gear teeth were worn and galled, that's why it jammed in the first place. A new Bendix solved the problem.

BILL WILLIAMSON 07-25-2015 09:51 PM

A friend got stalled on his restoration for 5 years, because of a HORRIBLY locked up starter.
I went over with my long 1" cement breaking bar, aimed, hit the starter case @ about 2 o'clock position & it fell out on the second hit. Sometimes, BRUTE force is necessary!!! I tole you I wuz GOOD!!--LOL---Brush the flywheel teeth with HEAVY wheel bearing grease & rarely will lock up happen again!!!
Bill W.

ian Simpson 07-25-2015 10:24 PM

Same thing happened t me. Hit the starter with a BIG rubber mallet and it fell off.

juke joint johnny 07-26-2015 11:55 AM

Thanks Team for your Help

The Bigger Hammer with a 2x3 and some pushing back and forth did the Trick !!!!

Have also put some old Black Grease on there as Bill W recommended

All Working Good Now !!

BILL WILLIAMSON 07-26-2015 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juke joint johnny (Post 1127811)
Thanks Team for your Help

The Bigger Hammer with a 2x3 and some pushing back and forth did the Trick !!!!

Have also put some old Black Grease on there as Bill W recommended

All Working Good Now !!

Yo' John, just thinkin' of you, while listening to ROGER MILLER:D
I learned the GREASE trick while working on Jaguars & the Rootes' Group cars, the starter drives were the same design as The Model A's.
Rockys' "EVIL TWINS"--A vintage dragster, has the side by side engines "hooked" together through the flywheel TEETH!! Just grease teeth & you're OFF, singing a FINE TUNE:D:D
Bill W.

western77 10-06-2015 05:01 PM

We'll Bill, I am 600 miles from home and have had starter lock up problems and yesterday broke the bolt on the starter drive. I repaired the drive and added the heavy black grease to the gear. So far so good. Thanks for the tip. JB

BILL WILLIAMSON 10-06-2015 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by western77 (Post 1168351)
We'll Bill, I am 600 miles from home and have had starter lock up problems and yesterday broke the bolt on the starter drive. I repaired the drive and added the heavy black grease to the gear. So far so good. Thanks for the tip. JB

I learned the grease trick while working on pre-'65 Jaguars & all the ROOTES GROUP cars.:) They used the same type of starter drives & have similar engagement problems.
Bill W.