The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Late V8 (1954+) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   '55 Ford Sedan Radio (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253398)

Anteek29 10-19-2018 06:44 PM

'55 Ford Sedan Radio

Delete

Anteek29 10-19-2018 06:49 PM

Re: '55 Ford Sedan Radio

2 Attachment(s)
My Fairlane has an identical stock copy radio made by Antique Automobile Radio, Inc. (FL) in the dash. Unfortunately, the electrical connector with all the wiring is open...a prior owner unplugged everything.

The radio looks brand new...I want to make the setup operational again by figuring out
what wires go where.

The company is still in business but claims no manuals exist with them because that particular model has been out of production for 10-12 years.

I know this is a l-o-n-g shot...can anyone with one of these radios out there help :confused:

miker98038 10-19-2018 07:05 PM

Couple thoughts. They show a dealer locator (not the dealer area). That’s got two in Sacramento and one in Phoenix. They might be worth a call. I’d be kind of surprised if they didn’t use a standard color of some kind. Red for power, white for ground, something for a memory, electric antenna, etc. clear across the line. If that doesn’t work, maybe a local radio repair guy could open it up and tell you what’s what. That would probably be an out of dash deal.

When you get it working, please post how it sounds. I’ve got a couple custom autosounds that have failed and I’ve been looking at Antique as a solution but their kind of pricey to take a chance on with no feedback.

Herman Munster 10-19-2018 08:00 PM

deleted

tjaybo 10-20-2018 10:45 AM

Alan , go talk to this guy in Oceano , He does it all old resto, new . retro , ect. "Bobs" auto radio . 805-489-8200

Anteek29 10-20-2018 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjaybo (Post 1687430)
Alan , go talk to this guy in Oceano , He does it all old resto, new . retro , ect. "Bobs" auto radio . 805-489-8200

Thank you...will do ;)

Daves55Sedan 10-20-2018 10:29 PM

I had a guy in Breese, Illinois gut my radio and he installed modern state-of-the-art stereo components. It has a huge cluster of wires for four sets of stereo speakers. Each pair of pigtails is color coded and tagged with a (+) or (-). The standard units that he was supplied with do not include the standard available module that connects inside the unit, so he makes up his own with different color codes than the standard unit. He included his own wiring diagram that shows which sets of pigtails are for front and back speakers and which ones are (+) or (-). It could be that many of the individual antique radio shops that convert to modern technology are doing it this way. It could be a toss-up as to what you really have unless you can get the diagram that came with the unit. Even then, you can't be sure. Mine came with the standard wiring module diagram (which he did not use) and his own made-up version. Thus, I had two diagrams. The factory diagram, I was to ignore and use his made-up diagram. See what I mean.
BTW, that guy went out of business about 20 years ago. Thank God the radio still works though.

Anteek29 10-21-2018 09:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Owing to the fact that I am a basic stock guy at heart I would be very pleased to have a functional AM radio...do not need a stereo setup. I suppose if my search does not turn up what I need for this existing unit then I can always reinstall a rebuilt original radio.
However, what is in the dash now looks brand new...really want to keep it. ;)

Herman Munster 10-21-2018 05:00 PM

deleted

bobss396 10-22-2018 10:11 AM

If the car is 12V, consider an FM converter. I still have one in the box I bought probably in 1975 and used it in a bunch of cars. Mine is made by Audiovox and probably ran less than $10 at the time.

http://www.antiqueradio.com/Aug06_Smith_FM.html

Anteek29 10-22-2018 10:19 AM

Yes, I remember those.

Anteek29 10-23-2018 06:02 PM

I took tjaybo's advice...pulled my radio and took it to Bob's Auto Radio. He suggested how to connect everything by color-coded wires. Will give it a try.