The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Main Wiring Harness 1929 Questions (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9344)

Hunter 07-30-2010 02:26 PM

Main Wiring Harness 1929 Questions

I have a few questions concerning the wiring harness/proper installation of the main wiring harness on my 1929 coupe.

1) When the original wiring exited the light switch cover did you see the individual wires or did the loom extend into the cover so that the only thing you see is the loom exiting the cover?

2) I have a few pieces of old harnesses. All of these seperate at about 16 1/2 inches or so from the contacts (to all components). The JS states that for a 29 there is one sepeartion at 16 1/2 to the right headlight and then about 3 more inches another sepration for the rest (left hand, horn, generator). Is this correct? Does somone have a picture of an original 29 harness that they can post?

3) At the point where the wire runs to the stop switch - does it run between the gound strap and the battery or between the ground strap and the center crossmemeber? Where any clips used to hold it to the center crossmember?

4) How was the wire rounted as it approaches the rear crosmember?Does it go over the rear cross member and where was it attached?

Thanks - Hunter

Tom Wesenberg 07-30-2010 11:45 PM

Re: Main Wiring Harness 1929 Questions

All good questions that I'd like the answers to also. I should have taken more pictures of Dave Lopes' nice low mileage 1929. That's the only 1929 that I know of with original wiring.

msmaron 07-31-2010 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter (Post 53258)
I have a few questions concerning the wiring harness/proper installation of the main wiring harness on my 1929 coupe.

1) When the original wiring exited the light switch cover did you see the individual wires or did the loom extend into the cover so that the only thing you see is the loom exiting the cover?

Thanks - Hunter

I can address this for sure, the first thing that the judge will look for after the condition and originality is how it comes out of the light bail, Many many cars were docked in Dallas and Flick if they came out sloppy., You can see the pic how nice and clean they are from the bail. I will re read the other questions for you,

walkerlakeprinter 12-19-2018 06:32 PM

I am puzzled as to where the wires to the stop light switch and taillight run along the frame. Does anyone have pictures of where they laid those wires from the light switch to the taillights? I'm mostly curious how to route the stop light switch wires so they don't interfere with the battery box.

walkerlakeprinter 12-19-2018 07:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are three pictures of what I am looking at. First one shows routing below the steering output shaft, second shows running behind Float-a-Motor mount, and third shows it arriving next to the battery box. Should it go behind the battery box, then underneath the crossmember and then on top of the lower part of the frame rail to the rear?

steward614 03-20-2019 06:06 PM

HI Walker! I am having the same issue and my brake switch wires are short. How did you do yours?!?

walkerlakeprinter 03-20-2019 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo of what I did. The wires to the taillights went through the hole in the crossmember and the stop switch wires branched off at that point. If there is a better way, I am open to suggestions.

steward614 03-21-2019 11:23 AM

Seems that it would work, my issue was that the two green wires for the switch were rather short and would not extend from the frame rail. I was thinking of cutting them soldering in an extension so that my tail light wires would be long enough. How did you get to the tail lights with enough length?

Bob C 03-21-2019 11:39 AM

This link may answer some of your questions. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258444
Is it possible you have a 1930-31 wiring harness for the stoplight switch mounted to the frame?

Bob

denniskliesen 03-21-2019 09:24 PM

Like Bob C said, most of these aftermarket wire harness are made for a 30-31 stoplight switch mounted to the backside of the crossmember. Therefore the wires did not need to be as long as they would be needed for the 28-29 transmission mounted brake light switch. I've been told Sacramento Vintage made the correct harness for a 28-29, not sure if they still do. Give them a call. Or splice in some green wires to lengthen the wires to the brake light switch. That's what I did. You can but the wire from some of the vendors or Toms Engine Barn has it.
https://enginebarn.myshopify.com/ Cloth covered primary wire.

CarlG 03-21-2019 10:57 PM

I just replaced my wire harness. My truck is a ‘31. The harness i got from Sacramento Vintage fit perfectly. They did ask what year it was for so they must have a different one for the earlier models.

1929 Red Tudor 03-22-2019 09:04 AM

Bert's has the correct harness for the 28-29. Fit great

steward614 06-01-2019 02:46 PM

Thanks All! I ended up getting some loom and cutting/ soldering in two spacer wires. Cant even tell with the loom covering it up!!