The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Gus And His Model Garage (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46406)

Ryan 09-01-2011 12:21 PM

Gus And His Model Garage

https://www.fordbarn.com/wp-content/u...011/09/gus.jpg

I posted this today on the Jalopy Journal and figured I had better post it here as well...A guy named Mike Hammerberg fell in love with the character of Gus and the stories he tol... To read the rest of this blog entry from The Ford Barn, click here.

flatheadernie 09-01-2011 12:35 PM

Re: Gus And His Model Garage

Thank you Ryan , I just went back to the future 60 plus years,Gus saves the hot rod boys job read all I could get of Gus 40,s an on ! great trip LOL ernie n tx

Ross in East Texas 09-01-2011 05:47 PM

Back in the 60's, this was the first thing I looked for when each issue of Popular Science came in the mail. I was addicted to the Model Garage and Gus' skills at diagnosis and repair.

Barry-ct 09-01-2011 07:27 PM

I have that site in my favorites and I've read every story there over the past winter. I remember as a kid in the late 60's reading them every month when the popular Science magazine showed up in the mail. I know it was the tail end of the series then, and didn't think much when the ended, but we're lucky someone had the sense to preserve them so I could enjoy all of them. What a treasure!

raprice 09-01-2011 08:30 PM

When I was a kid during the '50s, my parents bought me a subscription to Popular Science. That's when I got to know Gus Wilson and his Model Garage. It's also when I started to learn more about automobiles and how to trouble shoot problems with the cars.
Thank you for taking the time to post all those great article from PopSci. They are a true treasure.
Rog

31 Pickup 09-01-2011 08:47 PM

This is very cool !
That site is now listed in my favorites!

Shadetree 09-01-2011 09:03 PM

This is great Ryan! Thanks.

Shadetree

flatford39 09-02-2011 08:16 PM

Thanks Ryan....these are even cooler than "Click & Clack the tappet brothers"

I can't stop reading them.

Mart 09-03-2011 06:40 AM

Thanks Ryan, a great way to pass a couple of hours.

Mart.

Ray in La Mesa 09-03-2011 10:03 AM

What a great sight, thanks Ryan. Now I have something ELSE to add to my bucket list!

John Kennedy 09-04-2011 07:54 AM

Those are cool! Thanks Ryan. Nice site layout, easy to come back to and read one or more.

hbleadsled 09-04-2011 09:20 AM

Thanks Ryan, sounds like Gus was a lot like my father I started learning about cars in the 40's & 50's, it will take weeks to read all about Gus. Harold central coast Ca.

Tony Martino 09-04-2011 01:28 PM

Great stuff!!!!
Bought a copy of Gus stories in paperback from Scholastic Book Club in school in the fourth grade! Read it over and over. It gave me a whole lot of Ideas about trick fixes and getting back on the road when I started driving! I still try to think, What would Gus do?
This will really be fun to get taken back to simpler times!
Thanks for the cool link!
Regards to all.
Tony

Henry/Kokomo 09-04-2011 02:32 PM

Many thanks for posting the link. Brought back memories.

Bob/Ohio 09-05-2011 05:47 PM

Ryan,
This is a great site. I found it about a year ago. My Grandfather had a subscription to Popular Science, so I used to read about Gus back in the mid sixties. The trouble with the site is that you read one story, and then you say just one more, well maybe just one more.

Dick Webber 09-05-2011 10:58 PM

Many thanks for posting those great stories. Lots of us old gearheads grew up with Gus. Couldn't wait to read it in the school library or when PS arrived each month.

perrysmith 10-06-2011 08:31 PM

Thank you! I getta great kick out of the superhero of the 50's, and never has the world known a better patriot and all-around guy, I suspect! Not necessarily fun to grow up in the home of a guy like that (as my late father certainly was -- working late for little or nothing, and volunteering for weekend duty somehow every time, it seemed)! HO! I think were I teaching mechanics to a young one, I would use Gus as the teacher! Great logician, too!

fordy_nine 10-08-2011 08:21 PM

Gus was a real hero to some of us in the Fifties. He taught us how to diagnose problems; he also taught us the value of common sense....Bob L

oldbugger 10-08-2011 09:03 PM

My father bought my brother and I a liftime sub to Popsci,because we both loved to read his. For me Gus was a favorite part of the mag,to bad Popsci just don't seem to be what it once was.JMO