The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Distributor outer cap gaskets on dome distributors (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322534)

Lawson Cox 01-19-2023 09:34 PM

Distributor outer cap gaskets on dome distributors

What am I missing here? Does anyone make or sell a CORRECT gasket for the outer caps on dome style distributors? I'm asking about 39 distributor specifically.

I cannot get one to even come close to fitting without cutting it and spreading it out, thus increasing the circumference of the gasket. Also, I have to cut out a notch on the inner circumference of the gasket to accommodate the little tab that aligns the cap and the notch in the distributor body. This CAN'T be right.

I have tried several different vendors and they all sell the same thing. It's blowing my weak mind.

Brian 01-20-2023 01:52 AM

Re: Distributor outer cap gaskets on dome distributors

No need to cut /trim anything. The gasket fits on the spigot on the outside edge of the inner cap, the outer cap goes on the other side of the gasket; the protrusion in middle of outer cap fits through the hole in centre of inner cap and a rubber o ring is inserted onto the groove on that protrusion, which holds the whole assembly together.

V8COOPMAN 01-20-2023 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawson Cox (Post 2197590)
What am I missing here?

I have tried several different vendors and they all sell the same thing. It's blowing my weak mind.

Lawson... CALL & TALK to Michael at 3rd Gen and describe what you have to him. He'll make you whole!

Coop
__________________________________________________ ___

3rd Gen Automotive - Contact

Michael Driskell (Ask for Michael on phone)

Third Gen Automotive
Phone: 844-327-5988
Url: thirdgenauto.com
2600 Old Nashville Hwy
McMinnville, TN 37110

Lawson Cox 01-20-2023 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 2197639)
No need to cut /trim anything. The gasket fits on the spigot on the outside edge of the inner cap, the outer cap goes on the other side of the gasket; the protrusion in middle of outer cap fits through the hole in centre of inner cap and a rubber o ring is inserted onto the groove on that protrusion, which holds the whole assembly together.

I think I follow you, HOWEVER, that leaves a gap between the body and the outer cap for water etc to enter, and it LOOKS VERY WEIRD to boot. I can't imagine Henry's engineers designing something that way.

Can you elucidate ?

V8COOPMAN 01-20-2023 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawson Cox (Post 2197710)

Can you elucidate ?

Counselor.... That was part of the intention of my original post. IF YOU'LL MAKE THE EFFORT TO CALL & SPEAK TO MICHAEL AT 3RD GEN, I'm sure that he is well-qualified for, and will be more than willing to ELUCIDATE you on your distributor gasket shortcomings.

Coop

Lawson Cox 01-20-2023 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN (Post 2197751)
Counselor.... That was part of the intention of my original post. IF YOU'LL MAKE THE EFFORT TO CALL & SPEAK TO MICHAEL AT 3RD GEN, I'm sure that he is well-qualified for, and will be more than willing to ELUCIDATE you on your distributor gasket shortcomings.

Coop

Coop: I have made several attempts to do just that, how-some-ever, Michael is a hard man to reach. I'll keep trying. I rest my case.

JM 35 Sedan 01-20-2023 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 2197639)

Exactly Brian, you nailed it. I've never had to trim any of those end cap gaskets that are included in any distributor gasket sets, or included in complete engine gasket sets from Best Gasket Co. or other well known gasket companies.

Lawson Cox 01-22-2023 03:02 PM

Finally, after reading these fine responses,, I have concluded, THERE MUST NOT BE ANY GASKET MATERIAL BETWEEN THE EDGE OF THE OUTER CAP AND THE DISTRIBUTOR BODY ITSELF. That seems very strange to me. Now I understand why these old Fords died so many times when you went through a puddle. LOL

Brian 01-22-2023 04:41 PM

Yes there is a gasket there...the very gasket in question. In my opinion, these early distributors are the most waterproof of the Ford distributors. The gasket you have been asking about sandwiches between the inner and outer caps and extends out to the outer perimeter of the outer cap. Then, when the cap assembly is positioned into the side of the distributor, that gasket seals against the dissy housing. So, in a nutshell, the gasket seals the inner and outer caps, also the outer cap to distributor

koates 01-22-2023 06:36 PM

Brian, a very good correct answer. One gasket does two jobs. Never a problem with waterproofing these distributors if the correct gaskets are used and assembled as per original factory design. A beautifully designed distributor, the best of the V8 era in my opinion. Regards, Kevin.

DavidG 01-22-2023 07:10 PM

But placed in an unfortunate location for servicing.

Lawson Cox 01-22-2023 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 2198378)
Yes there is a gasket there...the very gasket in question. In my opinion, these early distributors are the most waterproof of the Ford distributors. The gasket you have been asking about sandwiches between the inner and outer caps and extends out to the outer perimeter of the outer cap. Then, when the cap assembly is positioned into the side of the distributor, that gasket seals against the dissy housing. So, in a nutshell, the gasket seals the inner and outer caps, also the outer cap to distributor

I never was all that smart, and in my old age I seem to have lost what brain I had. Is there any possibility that someone could post a picture, or tell me where to find a picture?

Lawson Cox 01-22-2023 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 2198418)
But placed in an unfortunate location for servicing.

I'll drink to that Dave. Fortunately, on this job, I have no trouble getting to it; my problem seems to be properly putting a gasket on it. LOL

petehoovie 01-22-2023 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawson Cox (Post 2198422)
I never was all that smart, and in my old age I seem to have lost what brain I had. Is there any possibility that someone could post a picture, or tell me where to find a picture?

These?
https://external-content.duckduckgo....74b&ipo=images

Lawson Cox 01-22-2023 09:25 PM

Thanks Peter. I KNOW what the gaskets look like. What I need to see is one of the two top ones in the picture, properly installed. Keep in mind I've never seen how the go onto or into the end caps. That's what's throwing me.

38 coupe 01-22-2023 10:42 PM

Assembly of the inner caps, outer caps, plug wires, gaskets, and o-rings is definitely tedious.

First make sure the inner cap fits the distributor housing. Seems like half the distributors have been dropped at some point and the side openings are no longer quite round. Sand the housing opening and inner cap where interference is found until the inner cap slides in easily.
Once the inner cap fits into the housing put the distributor together enough to have the shaft and rotor in place. Spin the shaft and find all the tangs on the rotor and cap that hit. Disassemble and file the brass tang(s) down that are hitting. Reassemble and repeat until no contact. Take the inner cap back off.

Repeat the above for the other side.

Assemble the rest of the distributor (if it was taken apart).

Next fit the spark plug wires to the tubes.
Add the rubber boot over the spark plug wires.
Add the outer cap over spark plug wires and shoved into the boot.
Add the gasket in question over the spark plug wires.
Plug each spark plug wire into the inner cap (this is annoying) without damaging that gasket.
Carefully squeeze the outer and inner cap together without snagging that gasket. The gasket will extend out passed the edge of the inner cap.
Put the o-ring onto the extended point of the outer cap that is sticking through the inner cap. The o-ring basically holds the whole mess together.
Put the whole mess onto the side of the distributor.

Image from Van Pelt's website of resources (http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...electrical.htm)
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...r_1937to41.JPG

Brian 01-22-2023 10:42 PM

Lawson, like you I have trouble posting photos on here. I'll try and explain once again....
Get your inner cap.
Place it on the table with the prongs facing down [you'll have four holes looking at you]. Grab one of those gaskets as illustrated in the above picture, and manoeuvre it around until you find a place where it will just fall into place over a spigot provided in that inner cap.
That's where it sits. Leave it there!
Now, get the outer cap, and position it so it fits over the inner cap/gasket and the protrusion in that inner cap fits through the hole that's in the inner cap.
wriggle it around until the tang drops into the slot.
The outer cap will now be snug up against the gasket and the inner cap.
Now pick that entire assembly up in your hand off of the table.
twist your wrist, turning that whole assembly 180 degrees so the prongs side of the inner terminal is facing you.
You will see the prong of the outer cap is sitting through the hole in the inner cap, exposing a groove.
Fit an o ring into that groove.
The whole assembly is now done.
Oh wait!!! you forgot the HT leads

38 beat me to this post. I know you don't need to fit the leads; this is for the 60 display engine right?

Brian 01-22-2023 10:53 PM

sorry man, I know it sounds like I'm taking the mickey of you, no way...I'm trying to 'elucidate' you. The hardest part of this exercise is trying to assemble it all whilst configuring 4 HT leads to fit within that assembly. Fitting the inner and outer caps together with a gasket inbetween them both is dead easy.

Lawson Cox 01-23-2023 10:56 AM

Oh, everything is fitted together wiring wise. I am just envisioning the fully assembled distributor with a gasket between the outer caps and the body of the distributor, that is clearly visible from the outside. Apparently that ain't gonna happen. LOL. (I apologize for being so anal over this bit of V8 minutia.)

DavidG 01-23-2023 12:19 PM

Depending on the color of the gaskets, the outer edges are visible from the outside. Do you honestly think anyone in Auburn gives a damn?