The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Leatherback '28-'29 Group (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424)

Bill Goddard 05-08-2010 08:41 AM

Leatherback '28-'29 Group

6 Attachment(s)
I decided to start a new group because we Leatherback owners have some unique restoration problems. Mine is a '29 - I think! It has a 2-6-29 firewall stamp and a motor number 1,08x,xxx which puts it in Feb 29 production, and my frame and motor number matchs. The interior was severely deteriorated but original. When I removed the tacks and nails there were no other holes. This will be its first restoration. It has rear seat arm rests at the side walls. This is supposed to be a '28 feature. The rest of the upholstery is 1929. The car has been painted all black in the past but there are several places where Andalusite Blue is evident. These are in places where only the factory would have painted like the windshield frame and overspray of wood frame parts.
Well - that's an introduction to my project. I hope others can contribute to this thread and we can all benifit from the exchange.

Rich in Tucson 05-08-2010 11:17 AM

Re: Leatherback '28-'29 Group

Your 60-B looks good Bill, I have a mostly disassembled 60-A that I am slowly working on and I know of at least 4 other '28-29s in my area. There is much not documented about these so hopefully we can fill in some blanks

Ray A from PA 05-08-2010 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bill great looking Leatherback. I just finished the final touches to mine and
really enjoy it. It was a major task requiring a complete restoration including all new wood. Many of the roof part were missing when I started, it sure was fun.

montanajohn 05-08-2010 04:18 PM

Bill - Glad to see this special group formed. I have a 1929 60-C blindback awaiting restoration. I imaging that, except for he top material, everything else would be the same as on a leatherback. I'm sure that lots of questions will emerge as I start to work on it. Right now, I'm tied up getting my '31 coupe roadworthy.

HDowse 05-08-2010 04:49 PM

Bill - A good idea to pull the Leatherbacks together in a group. Mine is a New Hampshire car, bought by the previous owner from the original purchaser in 1953. The car chassis was restored in 1995 and painted Brewster Green. The top was changed in 1953, seat covers put on but the rest of the car is original inside. I've had the car four years. It's got 10-12-28 on the firewall.

Steve Ciccalone 05-08-2010 09:08 PM

I have an unrestored 10/28 60-A with 14,000 original miles. I don't have any photos of it in the computer to post right right now. If anyone has any questions about particulars I would be happy to answer them.

Rowdy 05-08-2010 09:14 PM

Ray, That looks real nice compared to the parts we sent you. Glad to see you got it all together. We still have some sheetmetal left from the two we drug home. Sold some of it at Chichashae, but not all of it. Going to forward pic's of this one to Dad as he busted his butt on those parts, so some eye candy will be good. Rod

Rich in Tucson 05-11-2010 03:54 PM

Hello Steve, a few questions off of the top of my head 1) if you know and if they are there - what is the time interval between firewall date and frame/engine# production date? 2) has it a cowl vent? 3) Has it an MD clutch? 4) Has it any assembly plant code and if so where is it located?

Thanks and take care!

Rene R 05-11-2010 05:09 PM

I'd be happy to bring my 1928 60A into the group but I don't know how much help I could be, it was already restored when I bought it. But from everything I've seen and read it appears to be an extremely accurate restoration of a very solid original. I bought it out of Oklahoma but there's some indication it had been in Nebraska before that.

It's a late 1928, motor number A7114XX, with no date on the firewall and no cowl vents.

There's an excellent article in the Nov/Dec 1978 issue of The Restorer with detailed pictures of the interior of an unrestored 60A.

Meanwhile, here's a contemporary snapshot from Wellington, Kansas which I bought off of eBay, found in an old album:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...no/kansas2.jpg

Barry B./ Ma. 05-11-2010 06:02 PM

Does this include leatherback coupes? I have a 29 Special. Just kidding guys, I know you probably mean Fordors.

Bill Goddard 05-13-2010 06:21 AM

My Leatherback is a Briggs body and the cowl light reenforment brackets are in place, std from the factory. They are part of the gas tank support system. The raised bosses in the support bracks are obvious where the cowl lights should be mounted. I have seen only one other leatherback and the brackets are the same. From this I assume cowl lights were a possibility as a dealer installed option or aftermarket because the factory did not install them this early in the run. The problem is I have never seen this car with cowl lights. Has anyone else?

Bill Goddard 05-13-2010 06:44 AM

I did mean Fordors only because of the excessive amount of wood in the structure and the limited information out there - and I had forgotten about the coup. I also don't know if the body is done Briggs style - wood sheathed in steel - or if it is mostly a steel structure like the standard coup. You would be able to help me there. Your car had a shorter run and probably much lesser numbers made so it should be very valuable.

Steve Ciccalone 05-13-2010 08:35 AM

Rich, no cowl vent, the gas tank is 10/18/28, October engine w/multiple disc. No assembly plant code. I think when Briggs built the bodies, they may have not been stamped. I have a 1930 Briggs 5 window that also does not have a body code.

Freddie (Memphis) 05-14-2010 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Can I jump in this group...? We own a '29 Briggs Leatherback (60B). It's a very amateur restoration...mostly cobbled up. But, Jippy runs well and drives nicely. One day - probably when I retire - we'll do a complete restoration; at least that's my plan. Until then, Jippy Car is a family favorite!

I've done some work to her...12v conversion, new wiring harness, rebuilt the carb, FS ignition. I have new drums and hubs, need to rebuild the brakes this year. She needs a new top....interior...paint...you name it...but, we love her as she is. She seems happiest when full of family rolling down the road...."making haste, slowly"...

Freddie (Memphis) 05-14-2010 09:50 AM

Would you like me to initiate a new group on Ford Barn? There's a section for creating new groups, and it's fairly easy to do and maintain.

If you're interested...drop a line here and let me know. I'll be glad to get it started for us...

Thanks... :)

Bill Goddard 05-14-2010 10:48 AM

Freddie,
There is already a steelback 60C group I discovered a few minutes ago. That should work for the whole family of 60A, 60B and 60C. I am not sure how we know there has been a new post to the group when we log in to the forum.

Freddie (Memphis) 05-14-2010 11:30 AM

Bill...I joined the 60-C group just now and posted a message over in their section to see what responses I may get. Looks like a small group...let's see how we grow.

Nice day here in the Memphis area...might take Jippy Car for a spin to pick up the kids at school this afternoon. They love riding in the ol' girl, and they REALLY like me to pick them up at school. Seems it differentiates them from the rest of the herd...

Aerocraft 05-14-2010 12:05 PM

One of our local Joliet Region MARC members, Russ Knaack, has done a lot of research on the 60 series cars and has a data base of body and serial numbers. I'll advise him of this group posting.

Barry B./ Ma. 05-14-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Goddard (Post 6431)
I did mean Fordors only because of the excessive amount of wood in the structure and the limited information out there - and I had forgotten about the coup. I also don't know if the body is done Briggs style - wood sheathed in steel - or if it is mostly a steel structure like the standard coup. You would be able to help me there. Your car had a shorter run and probably much lesser numbers made so it should be very valuable.

The Special coupe had a lot of wood from the door tops up. They were built by Ford from mid 28 through mid 29. Mine is an early June 29.

Freddie (Memphis) 05-14-2010 12:25 PM

Hey, Aerocraft...is that a Pietenpol Air Camper in your avatar...? Nice...

We love old airplanes, too. Nothing prettier than a ragwing biplane rising up off a grass strip and climbing into the sunset...love it...! I like the sound of radial engines, too. I've even got my 10-year old twins, Will and Drew, to where they recognize the sound of a radial engine and rush outside to look up when they hear one. I've taken them to Oshkosh...air ahows...we regularly go down to Olive Branch airport and sit on the bench outside one of the FBO's and just watch general aviation aircraft come and go. They love it as much as I do...