The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Gas rust (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123234)

wildwilly 11-14-2013 03:01 PM

Gas rust

:( Sad to say, getting a lot of fine rust showing up in my fuel filter now. Getting to the point now where is slowing the flow of fuel and starving the carb while driving :eek:. Hope someone knows the best way to seal tank with out removing a the tank ???

bart78 11-14-2013 03:05 PM

Re: Gas rust

I have never seen it done. I would take it out. And take it to a radiator shop and have them vat it. And then seal it.

ford3 11-14-2013 03:28 PM

with out removing the tank the only other option is to add another temp fuel filter setup, use a clear filter so you can see what is being picked up, they are cheap and easy to replace

Ross/Kzoo 11-14-2013 03:35 PM

And I'm not too sure about sealing it. Modern fuels are playing havoc on sealers from what I understand.

txturbo 11-14-2013 03:36 PM

I would put some neodymium magnets in the glass sediment bowl to catch it. I buy the 3/8" round by 3/16" thick ones and use them for all kinds of stuff. One magnet will hang a 5lb sledge hammer on the side of my tool box.

wildwilly 11-14-2013 03:42 PM

Ok, sounds like I may need to search for the best tank sealant. I have just thought maybe the uses of one of them full car stands that one can rotate a car on, or even some type of bladder bag to fill with air to spread sealant thru out the tank ?? Just Ideas.

DougVieyra 11-14-2013 05:37 PM

Forget the sealant - at least for now. Your first order of business is to get rid of the rust in your gas tank. The Ford Forum has at least two threads dealing with this issue. Use your 'search' tab in the black bar at the top of this page.

I have been wrestling with this issue for about a year now (I too did not want to take my gas tank out of my already (although 35 years) restored car. It ain't gonna be easy to solve your problem. But the two Ford Forum threads I reviewed did point me in the right direction with excellent suggestions. There are several ways to go about it - you pick out the one that best fits you temperament and inclination.

newshirt 11-14-2013 05:57 PM

Tried this?

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/kellyshutoff.htm

Aok 11-14-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newshirt (Post 765357)

The method in the link works well for me and a lot easier then removing the tank.

Cockshutt Kid 11-14-2013 06:29 PM

Before going too far, are you sure the rust is coming from your gas tank. I have been having some issues with a very fine "rust" in several fuel tanks, some of them plastic. Also the fuel delivery company has come and installed filters on all of the farm tanks without being asked. It appears that the ethanol fuel is loosening up dirt and rust in the holding tanks and trucks and it is moving around and ends up...{guess where?} May or may not be relevant, but you might want to think about it before you tear a car apart.

Ed Northrop 11-14-2013 06:45 PM

Be careful about boiling tank out at radiator shop as it will remove your paint.

smurph 11-14-2013 07:19 PM

Go to a hobby store and buy some small, circular magnets. They are surprisingly powerful and not expensive. Place them in a ring around the fuel valve under the dash. Helps to keep rust from getting in the system in the first place. You will want to do this after you've gotten the major stuff out.
Smurph

eagle 11-14-2013 07:30 PM

Walmart sells the neo magnets in their craft section. Just bought some yesterday. They come in a (4) pack for $2.94.

txturbo 11-14-2013 07:47 PM

also....a lot of radiator shops wont do gas tanks anymore. Contaminates the tank.

BILL WILLIAMSON 11-14-2013 08:40 PM

Vermin ran fine when I got him 2 1/2 years ago. Running a stock cast iron sediment bowl & the regular screen in the carb. Dropped the carb bowl & it had an accumulation of rust colored stuff that was fine, like talcum powder, but didn't plug up anything in the carb.
I WON'T use MICRO-FILTERS, as I'm quite sure the fine powder WOULD plug them up! (OH! & a magnet WILL NOT pick up the powder, they WILL pick up rust FLAKES, though!) I'll flush the tank as best I can, & use the little stainless "pencil" filter in the top of my fuel valve, & HOPE FOR THE BEST!!! Bill W.

bart78 11-14-2013 09:20 PM

I think if it were my car. And I planned to drive it for a while. I would go ahead and fix it right. And not worry about it anymore.

Mike V. Florida 11-14-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurph (Post 765394)
Go to a hobby store and buy some small, circular magnets. They are surprisingly powerful and not expensive. Place them in a ring around the fuel valve under the dash. Helps to keep rust from getting in the system in the first place. You will want to do this after you've gotten the major stuff out.
Smurph

Cow Magnets

Kurt in NJ 11-15-2013 10:14 AM

I cleaned my tank by taking a 2500 mile trip, originally I had a standpipe on the fuel valve, removed it and poured and filtered a few gal through the tank, then set out on the trip cleaning the bowl at every fillip, after about 1500 miles no more debris in the filter , it stayed clean for many years, now 25 years later it needs cleaned once a year.

wildwilly 11-15-2013 11:58 AM

thank you all on your great response to this matter. I do drive this car on weekends around the area. My fuel system is half azz right now, because that's the way we found her. I have an glass inline filter under the dash, in it the fine brown powder stuff building up. Don't see where there are any larger flakes that could clog this carburetor up. The Carb is another story, NOT the norm, it is a Zenith, but all my research on it shows to come from an old Ferggi Mass farm tractor. It does look like a real fine brown powder as I have read in one replay. My next step I shall try, I guess, Is to test that brown powder to see if metallic. Also wonder if I can do a tank flush, an run with a filter for now ?? :confused: Going to buy the right fuel set up with tax return. :)

wildwilly 11-15-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougVieyra (Post 765341)
Forget the sealant - at least for now. Your first order of business is to get rid of the rust in your gas tank. The Ford Forum has at least two threads dealing with this issue. Use your 'search' tab in the black bar at the top of this page.

I have been wrestling with this issue for about a year now (I too did not want to take my gas tank out of my already (although 35 years) restored car. It ain't gonna be easy to solve your problem. But the two Ford Forum threads I reviewed did point me in the right direction with excellent suggestions. There are several ways to go about it - you pick out the one that best fits you temperament and inclination.

Thank you, Will look up old threads.