The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Crab Dist Adapter (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58711)

David Lien 01-11-2012 12:11 PM

Crab Dist Adapter

I have a 59 AB engine with a Helmet Dist. Can someone tell me where to purchase an adapter to run a 42 Crab dist???. I have two good crab Dists. and would like to run on of them.Thanks

TomT/Williamsburg 01-11-2012 12:43 PM

Re: Crab Dist Adapter

I think this is what you need:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flathe...pter,6003.html

Plus, 2-3 bolt plate that you can probably get from Bubbas, or ThePitstopGary has one as well - about $55.

oldford2 01-11-2012 12:44 PM

Dick Spadaro.com

800-222-3248

ken ct 01-11-2012 12:48 PM

Oh,John i didn't know Dick carried them,thanks. ken ct.

David Lien 01-11-2012 02:41 PM

Thank you very much for the help. You guys are the best;
David

OLD...BILL 01-11-2012 03:35 PM

Dave: NO ..adaptor plate. get the original front cover plate two bolts. stock engine timing cover plate.. keep it all stock and all Ford, the adaptor plate adds about 1/2 inch. moves the dist. out and you haft to run the cam extender, may come with the adaptor plate ?? and the vacuum conector is or maybe with the adaptor plate too ?? more junk... with the stock timing cover its. all there, no extra stuff. less change for oil leaks too... Mac's and others supplers have the stock plate page 46,in there cataloge and for $24.75 plus ship...... OLD....BILL

Randy 01-11-2012 08:05 PM

In my experience, helmet distributors are not usually on 59AB engines, they have the crab distributor housing with either the flat, Mallory style, cap or they have the large plastic cap with the rubber boot on each side. If you have that, then you can just add the '42 clips and a '42 cap. If a helmet distributor is on a 59AB then it may already have an adaptor or it may have the wrong cover on it. I guess that's the thing to check is whether your timing cover is a 2 bolt or 3 bolt?

ken ct 01-11-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy (Post 341809)
In my experience, helmet distributors are not usually on 59AB engines, they have the crab distributor housing with either the flat, Mallory style, cap or they have the large plastic cap with the rubber boot on each side. If you have that, then you can just add the '42 clips and a '42 cap. If a helmet distributor is on a 59AB then it may already have an adaptor or it may have the wrong cover on it. I guess that's the thing to check is whether your timing cover is a 2 bolt or 3 bolt?

You would also need the 42 rotor not the same one as 46-48. ken ct. Also use the small rubber nipples on the wire to cap 9 of them.

David Lien 01-11-2012 10:29 PM

Thanks all::
This engine has a three bolt timing cover and a helmet Dist. I think with the help here I now have this figured out.:) Thanks again
David

ken ct 01-12-2012 01:49 AM

Personaly i think your going through a lot of trouble and work to gain almost nothing. Helmets run just as well as the crab when done up right. OMO ken ct.

Ralph Moore 01-12-2012 10:01 AM

Doesn't the helmet dist have to have the longer cam snout with the original three bolt cover?

Mart 01-12-2012 02:38 PM

If you have a helmet dizzy currently running and you take it off, a crab style dizzy will bolt up with just the adaptor, no spacer required.

I have this setup on two of my engines.

Mart.

Mark Slight 01-12-2012 02:45 PM

It's a distributor!

BUBBAS IGNITION 01-12-2012 02:48 PM

I would have to agree with some of the others. although we do tons of the crabs the helmet is just as good in all respects...
Both are very good examples of early Frod ignition and are just about perfect when matched up with good parts, coil and a proper set up...

Ralph Moore 01-13-2012 09:21 AM

I'm still a bit confused:confused: The adapter you speak of is the three bolt to two bolt, like speedway sells? Then no "button" is required when combining the crab with the longer cam?

ken ct 01-13-2012 10:14 AM

Both styles of the pancake dist have long snouts on them obviously to reach in further to reach the shorter cam in the 42 and up engines.Unless the mount surface of the 2 bolt cover is further out more than the helmet covers. Then why is 1/2" spacer made in the first place. ??? ken ct. I am NOT talking about the button which is a diff situation again.