The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Member Here (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99042)

LockDoc 02-28-2013 07:19 PM

New Member Here

5 Attachment(s)
-

I just joined up a couple of days ago so I thought I would drop in on the A forum and post a few pictures of my basket case roadster. I have owned this for a year or so but have not started on it yet. The body was completely disassembled when I got it but I stuck it back together to make it easier to store. The frame has been blasted and painted black and I have most of the parts to put it together, except for a useable engine. It was an old street rod but luckily they didn't make any modifications that would be hard to correct. I'm looking forward to getting started on it but it won't be a show car, I enjoy driving them too much.

Good to be here.

LockDoc

Mitch//pa 02-28-2013 07:27 PM

Re: New Member Here

Hey welcome
That roadster isn't bad, i have seen much worse. actually it looks to be in better shape than that chevy truck :D
any help you need just post it as there are a lot of smart dudes here..

John LaVoy 02-28-2013 07:28 PM

Welcome to the Model A hobby. Engines are plentiful for the Model A. You should investigate a local chapter someone probably has a block that is useable.

Phil 02-28-2013 07:28 PM

Welcome to the barn! Looks like a good project. It is always good to see one being brought to life. Good luck.

Ghost of elmirage 02-28-2013 07:28 PM

Welcome from Massachsetts to the Frod Barn

kwisor 02-28-2013 07:30 PM

welcome leon
you have alot of work but you are at the right place to get the help you need
kevin
1930 model a tudor
1923 model t roadster p/u

c125bob 02-28-2013 07:41 PM

Welcome from Georgia, lots of help here on the barn !

Now....... get to work !

Hicktick 02-28-2013 07:43 PM

Looks like a good start , what are your plans for the roadster????

Welcome to the barn.

LockDoc 02-28-2013 08:42 PM

Thanks for the welcome fellas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John LaVoy (Post 601830)
Welcome to the Model A hobby. Engines are plentiful for the Model A. You should investigate a local chapter someone probably has a block that is useable.

The guy I bought the car from gave me a book that lists the names of the members of the local chapter. Now I need to find it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hicktick (Post 601843)
Looks like a good start , what are your plans for the roadster????

Welcome to the barn.

Right now I just want to get it put together and moveable under it's own power. That will give me time to upgrade some of the parts that aren't in the best of shape. Thanks

LockDoc

metalho 02-28-2013 08:46 PM

AWSOME START! :) You will know every part on the car when your done. Good work

james hitchcock 02-28-2013 09:24 PM

Now the fun begins.... Looks like a good start. Welcome to The Barn.

ctvpa 02-28-2013 09:47 PM

Great car. The hardest part is to turn the first screw. If you don't have a shop, might I suggest the following items that have helped me to unbelieveable rate. First a compressor, (bigger is better) a sand blaster cabinet ( I got a great one from Harbor freight) , and a tumbler (again big is best) You can put a couple handfulls of parts in, and they are clean and polished with no work I all (I got mine at Eastwood)
Heres what mine looked like a while ago, now putting interior in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJHMrVqkvnw

Best of luck

Joe K 02-28-2013 10:06 PM

You really shouldn't carry all that "eye candy" around in the back of a truck. We're the sort who can see a Zenith in a junkpile at 50 paces.

Glad you're aboard. Get ready to meet Bill and his Dog and just remember - it's a party. Some fellow party go-ers you like a lot, others you wish would stay home. But it's still a party and we all stay polite - mostly.

And I see you're good at pix. We all LOOOOVE pix.

http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/eoc/mr_macgready.gif

Above is John Hoyt and his Model A in the Midas Muffler Commercial. He's the one who said "How do you think the richest man in town STAYS the richest man in town."

He's done his restoration - that's why.

See ya round, boy...

Joe K

Mike V. Florida 03-01-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 601895)

Right now I just want to get it put together and moveable under it's own power. That will give me time to upgrade some of the parts that aren't in the best of shape. Thanks

LockDoc

Wise move!

newshirt 03-01-2013 08:48 AM

You're going to love that A! Hope to see you around the barn.

Steve Wastler 03-01-2013 08:58 AM

I too agree, looks like a great start.....

kenparker 03-01-2013 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the Barn. Lots of good advice and good friends too. My last three A's were basket cases and I loved every minute of the reassemblies. The pix is part of the load that came home as a basket case - the S/W. ken

LockDoc 03-01-2013 09:51 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctvpa (Post 601941)
Great car. The hardest part is to turn the first screw. If you don't have a shop, might I suggest the following items that have helped me to unbelieveable rate. First a compressor, (bigger is better) a sand blaster cabinet ( I got a great one from Harbor freight) , and a tumbler (again big is best) You can put a couple handfulls of parts in, and they are clean and polished with no work I all (I got mine at Eastwood)
Heres what mine looked like a while ago, now putting interior in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJHMrVqkvnw

Best of luck

I have a pretty well equipped shop, in fact my wife says we are tool poor... I also have a small tumbler. What I found that works a lot better than a tumbler is an old cement mixer that I bought cheap. You can put a lot of stuff in that thing and it comes out like new. I use the old sand from my sand blaster in it.

That is a great video. I probably would have driven it around the block... j/k

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe K (Post 601960)
You really shouldn't carry all that "eye candy" around in the back of a truck. We're the sort who can see a Zenith in a junkpile at 50 paces.

Glad you're aboard. Get ready to meet Bill and his Dog and just remember - it's a party. Some fellow party go-ers you like a lot, others you wish would stay home. But it's still a party and we all stay polite - mostly.

And I see you're good at pix. We all LOOOOVE pix.

http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/eoc/mr_macgready.gif

Above is John Hoyt and his Model A in the Midas Muffler Commercial. He's the one who said "How do you think the richest man in town STAYS the richest man in town."

He's done his restoration - that's why.

See ya round, boy...

Joe K

Joe,

I'm ready for a "polite" party.

Like John, I try to do all of my own work. I do trade some mechanical work for some of the body work and painting. I can do it but it isn't one of my favorite things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenparker (Post 602154)
Welcome to the Barn. Lots of good advice and good friends too. My last three A's were basket cases and I loved every minute of the reassemblies. The pix is part of the load that came home as a basket case - the S/W. ken

Ken,

Most of your basket case parts are in much better shape that mine but I have a hammer, dolly, and a welder.

LockDoc

antiquepa 03-03-2013 09:37 PM

Welcome,and have fun putting your "A" back together, once shes done you"ll have a blast driving your Model "A". When I got mine back in 2002, it was a very drivable car, and every winter I would work on the car and drive in the spring/summer. Its done after 10 years and 48000 miles later, and like I said You"ll have a blast driving your Model "A". Good luck on your project!!

LockDoc 03-04-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antiquepa (Post 604132)
Welcome,and have fun putting your "A" back together, once shes done you"ll have a blast driving your Model "A". When I got mine back in 2002, it was a very drivable car, and every winter I would work on the car and drive in the spring/summer. Its done after 10 years and 48000 miles later, and like I said You"ll have a blast driving your Model "A". Good luck on your project!!

Thanks antiquepa. I can't wait to start on it. I may be able to sneak a few hours into it this Spring...

LockDoc