The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Who lightens flywheels? Looking for a shop (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278746)

solidaxle 03-31-2020 01:32 PM

Who lightens flywheels? Looking for a shop

It's a 8ba flywheel I want lightening up.

supereal 03-31-2020 02:06 PM

Re: Who lightens flywheels? Looking for a shop

You would have to remove a large amount of material to realize any change in performance. Your best bet is to check with a performance vendor, such as Jegs, for a light flywheel. We resurface flywheels in our shop, and rebalance them, even if the cut was slight. Finding any performance parts for flathead has become difficult, and torque converters have largely replace flywheels with flex plates.

J Franklin 03-31-2020 03:16 PM

Anybody good with a lathe should be able to do that.

solidaxle 03-31-2020 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supereal (Post 1868423)
You would have to remove a large amount of material to realize any change in performance. Your best bet is to check with a performance vendor, such as Jegs, for a light flywheel. We resurface flywheels in our shop, and rebalance them, even if the cut was slight. Finding any performance parts for flathead has become difficult, and torque converters have largely replace flywheels with flex plates.

What I'm reading I should be able to shave 9-10lbs.Is that right?

Fidanza makes an aluminum with an insert weights 15lbs for around $400.00
Maybe I should go that way since it includes a new ring gear.

Alaska Jim 03-31-2020 03:59 PM

only use an aluminum lightweight flywheel in a light car, or you may end up having to rev up the eng, and possibly slip the clutch to get rolling. the heavy flywheel prevents this by way of centrifugal force of the rotation of the flywheel/crank assembly. the light flywheels work in early cars like model A's 32-33's especially when robbed of their "extra" parts like fenders, hoods, etc. I think 8-10 lbs off an 8BA wheel is doable, but should be done by someone who has knowledgeable about how and where to remove the material

jim1932 03-31-2020 04:22 PM

http://www.godevilgarage.com/ Near Albany. He is on the Hamb I believe.

skidmarks 03-31-2020 04:27 PM

Ive done them. Used a ford industrial 4 cyl in a model A and they have a massive flywheel. Cut 13 lbs off it. Just takes awhile.

When i did one for a early flathead, cut the end off a junk crankshaft to hold it in the lathe.
Taper all the cuts

cas3 03-31-2020 04:41 PM

i've done them too. in my 14" clausing they only fit with the ring gear off. i've taken the big blob off of several of the early 9" clutch's. use a bit for cast iron and run slow. it takes several beers and makes a helluva mess, but i get a good finish

Pete 03-31-2020 09:39 PM

At a place I worked many moons ago, we had a dedicated lathe for lightening flywheels. We did a lot of them. We always balanced them afterward. We never had any problems with any of them, EXCEPT ONE in a 32 roadster. I just happened to be the passenger and the driver was going to show me how he could full power shift (button shift) with his new light flywheel. He missed the one two shift, the engine went over 7K free winding and the flywheel exploded. It was a toss-up whether the car or the people got the worst of it.
They quit lightening flywheels. Too many possible harsh side effects.

flatheadmurre 04-01-2020 12:37 AM

And getting mass to the center of flywheel does the same job...so hopefully there isnīt an 11" clutch on the flywheel you work with.
Just going from a 11" to a 9" does quite a bit to rotational mass.

solidaxle 04-01-2020 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska Jim (Post 1868478)
only use an aluminum lightweight flywheel in a light car, or you may end up having to rev up the eng, and possibly slip the clutch to get rolling. the heavy flywheel prevents this by way of centrifugal force of the rotation of the flywheel/crank assembly. the light flywheels work in early cars like model A's 32-33's especially when robbed of their "extra" parts like fenders, hoods, etc. I think 8-10 lbs off an 8BA wheel is doable, but should be done by someone who has knowledgeable about how and where to remove the material

It's a light car, no fenders or hood

solidaxle 04-01-2020 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim1932 (Post 1868487)
http://www.godevilgarage.com/ Near Albany. He is on the Hamb I believe.

Will do

solidaxle 04-01-2020 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 1868587)
At a place I worked many moons ago, we had a dedicated lathe for lightening flywheels. We did a lot of them. We always balanced them afterward. We never had any problems with any of them, EXCEPT ONE in a 32 roadster. I just happened to be the passenger and the driver was going to show me how he could full power shift (button shift) with his new light flywheel. He missed the one two shift, the engine went over 7K free winding and the flywheel exploded. It was a toss-up whether the car or the people got the worst of it.
They quit lightening flywheels. Too many possible harsh side effects.

Good advice for a high hp car. Sounds like a little more then my 239Cu. in. I'm not too concerned.

solidaxle 04-01-2020 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatheadmurre (Post 1868608)
And getting mass to the center of flywheel does the same job...so hopefully there isnīt an 11" clutch on the flywheel you work with.

There's a 10 incher now, but that can change. Is 9 inch too small?

Tim Ayers 04-01-2020 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatheadmurre (Post 1868608)

I thought about that and have a "lipped" flywheel with the 9" clutch. I was concerned that the 9" wouldn't hold up to a hipo flathead of around 190 hp.

I went with a 10" clutch on a aluminum flywheel (Weber with Centerforcce PP & clutch) to split the difference

Bored&Stroked 04-01-2020 10:08 AM

Exploding flywheel: Pete's story is one to pay attention too . . . I just don't like the potential of a cast iron flywheel to potentially grenade. (I'm not going to risk my feet to find out).

I'm currently having a special steel billet one made at RAM clutches (lightened and profile cut from their standard 33 lb version) - should come in about 24 - 26 lbs. I'm taking out the Fidanza aluminum one that I have in my 32 at the moment - just too light of a flywheel for normal street driving . . . have to slip the clutch a lot as it doesn't have enough reciprocating weight to make normal standing starts as easy/smooth as I'd like them.

I'll report back how I like the new one (once this dang shutdown of the world is over!).

skidmarks 04-01-2020 10:15 AM

Scatter sheild. One of the old hotrods i have, the removable toeboard is fabricated out of 4 pieces of 1/4" plate.
Who really beats on these cars that hard anymore?

Tim Ayers 04-01-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked (Post 1868713)
Exploding flywheel: Pete's story is one to pay attention too . . . I just don't like the potential of a cast iron flywheel to potentially grenade. (I'm not going to risk my feet to find out).

I'm currently having a special steel billet one made at RAM clutches (lightened and profile cut from their standard 33 lb version) - should come in about 24 - 26 lbs. I'm taking out the Fidanza aluminum one that I have in my 32 at the moment - just too light of a flywheel for normal street driving . . . have to slip the clutch a lot as it doesn't have enough reciprocating weight to make normal standing starts as easy/smooth as I'd like them.

I'll report back how I like the new one (once this dang shutdown of the world is over!).

Please do. How much did your aluminum weigh?

solidaxle 04-01-2020 11:38 AM

Quote:

Does your 32 have fenders?

JSeery 04-01-2020 03:33 PM

Quote:

What rear end gears are you running?