The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mixing synthetic and regular oil (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266460)

Rich-CO 07-17-2019 11:44 AM

Mixing synthetic and regular oil

Hello all-----Is it ok to mix synthetic and regular oil?

Rich

rockfla 07-17-2019 11:51 AM

Re: Mixing synthetic and regular oil

Yes, several oil companies sell it already mixed. I use NAPA brand in my Lincoln

tubman 07-17-2019 12:00 PM

Hmm. Interesting to hear this. Back in my snowmobiling days, it was a definite no-no. Nobody ever gave a good reason, though.

40 Deluxe 07-17-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1778265)
Hmm. Interesting to hear this. Back in my snowmobiling days, it was a definite no-no. Nobody ever gave a good reason, though.

One requirement for an oil to meet a standard (such as SJ, etc.) is that it has to be compatible with all other oils meeting that same standard.
There were a lot of myths and misunderstandings floating around in the early days of synthetic oil. Much like with the zinc "issue" today.

rockfla 07-17-2019 12:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
NAPA's synthetic blend!

Tim Ayers 07-17-2019 01:13 PM

Same weight and type, no problems mixing.

V8 Bob 07-17-2019 01:25 PM

Motorcraft 5W20 synthetic blend, recommended for my wife's Explorer.

JSeery 07-17-2019 02:03 PM

I was just getting ready to post what Bob posted! Ford recommends a blend on their newer cars.

WABOOM 07-17-2019 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ayers (Post 1778280)
Same weight and type, no problems mixing.

It doesn't even have to be the same weight.

Rich-CO 07-17-2019 07:14 PM

Thanks for all the excellent responses.
Rich

adileo 07-17-2019 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich-CO (Post 1778391)
Thanks for all the excellent responses.
Rich

Agree.

Is it also a myth that once you use synthetic you can’t go back to regular? I assume yes

WABOOM 07-17-2019 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adileo (Post 1778426)
Agree.

Is it also a myth that once you use synthetic you can’t go back to regular? I assume yes

I've read the opposite. They say going synthetic on an old dirty conventional oil engine can cause leaks because of the cleaning action synthetic is good at. And I experienced that myself first hand. I bought a O/T car with 200,000 miles and put about 10,000 more miles on it. Then I switched over to Royal Purple and lost a cam seal within 1,000 miles. Bad luck, just a fluke...? I don't know, but that's why I'm hesitant to put synthetic in my flathead.

40 Deluxe 07-17-2019 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WABOOM (Post 1778447)
I've read the opposite. They say going synthetic on an old dirty conventional oil engine can cause leaks because of the cleaning action synthetic is good at. And I experienced that myself first hand. I bought a O/T car with 200,000 miles and put about 10,000 more miles on it. Then I switched over to Royal Purple and lost a cam seal within 1,000 miles. Bad luck, just a fluke...? I don't know, but that's why I'm hesitant to put synthetic in my flathead.

But your flathead doesn't have lip seals like your modern car (unless it has some modern adaptation, in which the new style seals should be made for use with synthetic).

tubman 07-17-2019 11:33 PM

I ran Mobil-1 20W-50 in the original engine in my '51 before I put the new engine in. I didn't see any increased leakage while I was using it.

Tinker 07-17-2019 11:41 PM

Here we are talking oil. I've read if you have a dirty engine don't use synthetic as it bonds to dirt and can clog the works. Now seals and synthetic? I've used what was cheap.

I think most use oil that is cheap and change it. I could probably use corn cooking oil in my car for 1k miles and probably be fine if I changed it back.

Drbrown 07-17-2019 11:50 PM

Make of car and year varies. My VW modern car requires "full" synthetic oil.

deuce_roadster 07-18-2019 08:45 AM

If you have a turbo (My F150 3.5 Ecoboost has 2) it is better and recommended to run the synthetic as it doesn't "coke" on the shafts like non synthetic oils will due to the heat involved. I don't run synthetic in my flatheads as they seem to mark their territory enough as it is and I don't want to chance worsening that.

ronn 07-18-2019 09:12 AM

I have been doing it for at least 15 yrs now. At one time synthetic was expensive. no more.
I would always make sure there was at least 1 qt of synth in my car, because it will save your engine, should it run dry for any reason.

walmart sells 5 qts of synth for a little over 15. at this point and it is a moot point, if worried about cost.

I run it in my lawn tractor, A's and all cars and vehicles. nothing better.

L78CHEVELLE 07-18-2019 09:54 AM

Saw a TV show not long ago were a few old cars were driven across the country. One of the old cars was a Ford flathead. This show was sponsored by Shell Oil. The flathead Ford driver said Shell ran several test to determine the best oil to use in the flathead for the cross country trip. The oil Shell provided to the flathead drivers was the synthetic mix 10W 40. Just my 2 cents worth.

philipswanson 07-18-2019 10:20 AM

All motor oil is compatible. That's an SAE requirement. Since I have a '40 with no lip type main seal, I run straight 30W Rotella. That 10w, etc. wants to drip out the rear. 30w doesn't. No freezing in San Diego so it's fine. You can mix weights, synthetic, etc. No problem.