The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A and the weather (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211370)

1929 12-23-2016 07:13 PM

Model A and the weather

Iam sure many here are not using their car as much, due to the cold weather. How often should the car be taken out for a run? I was told just taking it out of the garage for an idle warm up is not recommended.

Nabco 12-23-2016 07:36 PM

Re: Model A and the weather

Great question.....

DJ S 12-23-2016 07:38 PM

I would say, whenever you get a chance, drive it! Our cars don't go away until we get a threat of snow and come back out after the first heavy rain.

Jacksonlll 12-23-2016 08:08 PM

Derive it whenever you can. No need to baby it. They are tough little cars.

1crosscut 12-23-2016 08:19 PM

Sitting over the winter really isn't too hard on an A. You may get some temporary flat spots on the tires from sitting.
The hardest thing on them is to start them up and not allow the engine to get good and hot in order to evaporate the moisture/condensation inside the engine. If you are just pulling it out to start it up put some cardboard over the radiator to help it get up to operating temperature.
Stay with the car so you don't overheat it with the cardboard covering the radiator.

holdover 12-23-2016 09:06 PM

I drive them when the weather is dry, and when the snow starts and they salt the roads they do not hit the road until a good heavy rain washes the salt away. They do not have heaters but dressed warm and wearing gloves even temps in the teens isn't too bad, and the feeling of taking one of them to the local store for breakfast seems to get a cold winter day off to a great start. I always drive them far enough to get all the mechanical parts (Engine, trans and rear) well heated, most often in the 20-30 mile range. need to keep them in good shape for the Grand-kids!

Kahuna 12-23-2016 09:21 PM

Holdover
Excellent advice

Nabco 12-23-2016 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holdover (Post 1403848)
I drive them when the weather is dry, and when the snow starts and they salt the roads they do not hit the road until a good heavy rain washes the salt away. They do not have heaters but dressed warm and wearing gloves even temps in the teens isn't too bad, and the feeling of taking one of them to the local store for breakfast seems to get a cold winter day off to a great start. I always drive them far enough to get all the mechanical parts (Engine, trans and rear) well heated, most often in the 20-30 mile range. need to keep them in good shape for the Grand-kids!

Do you really need to drive it 20-30 miles to get it up to tempurarure?

1930-fordor 12-23-2016 09:50 PM

I drive mine any chance I get.
But all year round, I keep a dehumidifier in the garage with a window down. In the south the humidity is bad.

Tom Wesenberg 12-23-2016 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nabco (Post 1403854)
Do you really need to drive it 20-30 miles to get it up to tempurarure?

In the wintertime, I would say yes.
That's why I park mine and don't touch it for about 6 months ever winter.

Nabco 12-23-2016 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1403875)
In the wintertime, I would say yes.
That's why I park mine and don't touch it for about 6 months ever winter.

Thanks Tom so better to leave it alone completely, that's good advice.

holdover 12-23-2016 11:08 PM

"Originally Posted by Nabco http://fordbarn.com/forum/hamb/buttons/viewpost.gif
Do you really need to drive it 20-30 miles to get it up to temperature?"

Like what has been said it is not the destination it is the trip. Summer or winter I get a kick driving one of my Model A. maybe you don't have to go 20-30 miles, it is the trip, and I enjoy every minute, especially with a grand-kid with me. And besides it is tough to see the three restored ones sitting there all winter not being used.

1929 12-24-2016 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1crosscut (Post 1403817)
Sitting over the winter really isn't too hard on an A. You may get some temporary flat spots on the tires from sitting.
The hardest thing on them is to start them up and not allow the engine to get good and hot in order to evaporate the moisture/condensation inside the engine. If you are just pulling it out to start it up put some cardboard over the radiator to help it get up to operating temperature.
Stay with the car so you don't overheat it with the cardboard covering the radiator.

Yes, the condensation inside the engine is a major concern to me.

Cornishman 12-24-2016 12:31 PM

If you are going to leave your car for a long while put it away when it is at working temperature. Make sure that the battery is disconnected and the fuel shut off. Chock the wheels and leave the parking brake off. While the car is not being used keep the battery charged and, if possible move it backwards and forwards a bit regularly so the tyres don't deform. If you have a starting handle it's worth turning the engine over every now and then. Many people would drain the fuel but I don't as I have never experienced problems starting an engine that has been standing for several months with the 'old' fuel left in the tank. A cool dry environment is much better than a warm damp one for the bodywork.

Chuck Sea/Tac 12-24-2016 01:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I drive all year round, fortunately, we don't have salt. This is this morning in auburn getting breakfast, and a strawberry rubarb pie.i didn't run a thermostat for a year or so, and my oil filler tube was caked with white guck from moisture. The oil was fine. Went back to a stat.

Phil Brown 12-24-2016 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1crosscut (Post 1403817)

So if you have moisture /condensation inside the engine how is it any worse to have a short run time than letting it sit for the winter ?
At least a short run time will keep the oil splashed all around the inside to keep things well lubricated ( transmission also ).

Chuck Sea/Tac 12-24-2016 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Brown (Post 1404220)
So if you have moisture /condensation inside the engine how is it any worse to have a short run time than letting it sit for the winter ?
At least a short run time will keep the oil splashed all around the inside to keep things well lubricated ( transmission also ).

That's why short term running should be met with short term oil changes, because of the contaminates not burned off.

William Kelchner 12-24-2016 01:45 PM

Merry Christmas everyone.

I used to drive my car all the time in the winter but coming home on a rollback all the time got too expensive. :mad:

Bill K

Tom Wesenberg 12-24-2016 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Brown (Post 1404220)

In 1977 I ran my 1963 Studebaker and my 1929 Chevrolet for about 10 minutes each, then went to start them 6 months later. They were both locked up tight. That's a hard lesson to learn, but you should never start and engine unless it's going to get the oil hot enough to burn off all the byproducts the combustion has created, mainly water in the oil, exhaust, and cylinders. :mad:

dansluck 12-24-2016 04:15 PM

I drive mine in the winter. 36 miles to the coffee shop with 3 miles dirt road. Works best when the road is frozen. I dress for winter which makes the coupe feel even smaller.