The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Broken Glass Again (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266498)

einstein 07-18-2019 08:55 AM

Broken Glass Again

Does anyone know the correct placement of the lower glass channel on a 33, 3 window ?? My glass has broken twice already. It's the channel that goes on the glass with the rollers.

TJ 07-18-2019 08:59 AM

Re: Broken Glass Again

What is causing the glass to break? When you roll down the window? When you close the door? when the window is up or down? Need a few more facts.

Admiral 07-18-2019 09:32 AM

What TJ said. Please provide more details. Is the window unduly difficult to roll up or down? If so, something could be cocked/binding as the mechanism operates, placing stress on the glass itself.

51 MERC-CT 07-18-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by einstein (Post 1778522)
Does anyone know the correct placement of the lower glass channel on a 33, 3 window ?? My glass has broken twice already. It's the channel that goes on the glass with the rollers.

If it just one side that is breaking then look at the opposite side assembly to see how it is configured.
Without any visual evidence as to the location of the break it is virtually impossible to get a sense of direction as to what may be causing it.

einstein 07-18-2019 12:53 PM

I changed everything I ordered the glass from Old Fords so it is original size. The first one broke from the glass channel when the door was being closed. The second one broke while driving from the front side and then up All new felts new regulator new glass channel

51 MERC-CT 07-18-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by einstein (Post 1778603)
I changed everything I ordered the glass from Old Fords so it is original size. The first one broke from the glass channel when the door was being closed. The second one broke while driving from the front side and then up All new felts new regulator new glass channel

Generally glass will not break unless it was improperly bedded in the channel or is making contact with bare metal somewhere.
Misaligned front and rear channels can cause a twisting stress resulting in breakage upon impact such closing the door.
Only you have the ability to inspect to see what is wrong, all that I or anyone else can do is guess.

TJ 07-18-2019 03:40 PM

If there is evidence that the break started at the edge of the glass then it is making contact with something metal in the channel. If it shows evidence that it broke from the side then it contacted something metal in the side of the door.

DavidG 07-18-2019 06:48 PM

You mention felts, but not the rubber upside down U-shaped sponge rubber strip in the top of opening for the glass in the door. Your comments suggest that the window was in the raised position in both instances. Without that rubber strip, you have glass to metal contact at the top with the window closed.

einstein 07-18-2019 08:25 PM

Yes everything was changed all window channels top sides , new regulator, new bottom glass channel I am wondering if the new window channels ( felts ) are to big causing to much play

deuce_roadster 07-18-2019 10:13 PM

Was your new channel a kit specific for your car or pieces from various different sources?
Before I hook up the winder to the window, I always run the glass up and down with my hand to look for interference or tight places. After I am satisfied the glass goes up and down easily then I hook up the winder.
Could you possibly have a 34 winder in that side? Maybe mismarked as a 33? As a 33 owner you probably already know this but the 34 glass goes up and then after it is all the way up, if you continue cranking, it moves straight back a little to make a "vent" at the front of the window opening. That is why 34 doors have that filler piece at the back of the window opening, so when closed there is no gap at the back.

einstein 07-18-2019 11:08 PM

I doubled checked and it is the correct glass for a 33. Still does anyone know where the correct place for the bottom glass channel is to be installed? Centered or off centered?

DavidG 07-19-2019 12:19 AM

It is a simple answer, but it isn't that simple (simply centered or off centered). The ends of the metal channel must not touch the side window channels at any point during the entire travel of the glass/bottom steel channel assembly from the bottom to the very top. Only if the angle of the front part of the door window opening is exactly equal to the angle of the back part of the door window opening would the bottom steel glass channel be centered on the glass. As 'deuce roadster' indicates above that assumes that you have '33 doors and '33 window regulators and not '34s.

Tinker 07-19-2019 12:23 AM

David that does not sound simple :).

Are 33s like 36s? Where the front windows on the coupe roll up to the top then side forward a inch are so to close?

Before them little side vent windows and we all smoked cigs.

DavidG 07-19-2019 07:32 AM

That feature started with the '34s.

einstein 07-19-2019 08:39 AM

Thank You I will check it out

JSeery 07-19-2019 09:37 AM

Why not post a few photos, especially of the window crank mechanisms on both sides. Photos of the window channels and the inside of the upper part of the window might help as well.

FlatheadTed 07-19-2019 03:15 PM

A 34 channel starts at 1,3/4 from the glass at the front .The opening is 10,1/4 from the front, its 9,1/4 from the stop screw in the channel ,On 34 its important for a 34 because it engages the rivet /roller that slides the glass back .yours is not 34 but some of it should apply to a 33 to .
ps its 9,1/4 from the stop screw not 9-3/4
and 3-5/8 from the rivet roller to the front

FlatheadTed 07-20-2019 04:07 AM

edit post

aussie merc 07-20-2019 10:44 PM

before connecting the lift to the glass see if you can move the window up/down by hand wont take long to find a tight spot if there is one