The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Improved Steering Column Support (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269852)

ericr 09-22-2019 08:32 PM

Improved Steering Column Support

does anyone know why there is not the improved steering column bracket for the 28-29 models? does the structure of the earlier models not accommodate such a bracket?

Synchro909 09-22-2019 08:45 PM

Re: Improved Steering Column Support

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericr (Post 1802008)
does anyone know why there is not the improved steering column bracket for the 28-29 models? does the structure of the earlier models not accommodate such a bracket?

Prolly cos they were not used by Ford in the early cars. I make such a bracket for '28-9 RHD cars which can be adapted to the later ones.

Bill G 09-22-2019 09:09 PM

My 29 included one when I bought the car. From the stuff I read, its only a matter of drilling one hole to modify the 30-31 support to fit the bolt pattern of the 28-29 dash rail. The reason mine needed the support was pretty apparent, so if you have a 28-29 without the support, I would recommend getting the support.

Russ/40 09-22-2019 11:46 PM

If you make the installation with an adapter piece of 3/16 ths plate you can do it without drilling any holes in the body.

1931 flamingo 09-23-2019 12:12 PM

ericr: Above on the BLACK band is a Search function. This has been covered many times brfore even with pics for your application if I remember correctly.
Paul in CT

ericr 09-23-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo (Post 1802208)
ericr: Above on the BLACK band is a Search function. This has been covered many times brfore even with pics for your application if I remember correctly.
Paul in CT

I am sure you are correct but every single time I try the "search" function on this site, I come up with literally dozens of pages of scores of hits, the vast number of which are apparently unrelated, even when I put the searched item in parentheses.

This subject does come up consistently but usually within the context of leaks around the original bracket on the gas tank.

GPepper 10-30-2019 06:50 PM

Hi, Greg from Texas
i have a 1929 Pheaton RHD
I'm looking for a Steering support for my restoration.
Like all the early cars it has a stress crack on the gas tank steering support bracket.
Please let me know what you have and how we cna communicate about me buying one from you.
Greg

GPepper 10-30-2019 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GPepper (Post 1815951)
Hi, Greg from Texas
i have a 1929 Pheaton RHD
I'm looking for a Steering support for my restoration.
Like all the early cars it has a stress crack on the gas tank steering support bracket.
Please let me know what you have and how we cna communicate about me buying one from you.
Greg

Syncor99

PalAl 10-30-2019 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This might be helpful.......... does not work for a 29 Briggs body!

PalAl 10-30-2019 09:33 PM

7 Attachment(s)
This may be even more helpful..... still won't work on a Briggs 29!

quickchange 10-31-2019 04:18 AM

GPepper have mailed you, we produce the RHD version here in NZ , Will be your way for Pate swap next year & bring with me or we can ship, Need any other RHD parts ? may be able to help. Also produce the new short RHD steering box drop arm for lighter steering,

katy 10-31-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

I am sure you are correct but every single time I try the "search" function on this site, I come up with literally dozens of pages of scores of hits, the vast number of which are apparently unrelated, even when I put the searched item in parentheses.
After you click on the "Search" tab, you need to click on the "advanced search" tab, then you can select which forum(s) to search in, otherwise you're searching in all the forums.

30 Closed Cab PU 10-31-2019 10:37 AM

You can also try searching from a browser (Google), instead of using the Barn Search feature.. A lot of times doing it this way is a little more exacting. When you get teh results look for Ford Barn results.

barkleydave 10-31-2019 10:41 AM

I used the 31 bracket on my 29 ccpu easy install one additional hole no problem much stronger and no strain on tank.

Purdy Swoft 10-31-2019 10:44 AM

I installed a late thirty one steering bracket in my april thirty AA truck and didn't have to drill a hole .

Ford used the twenty eight-nine style cab until june thirty .