The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   pinstripe line (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334919)

Dave Mellor NJ 01-19-2024 12:34 AM

pinstripe line

1 Attachment(s)
Right era but they're Hudsons 1930? Interesting that they're using women 2 to a car

ronn 01-19-2024 06:32 AM

Re: pinstripe line

women are preferred for many jobs

have you ever had your cold cuts cut by a man?

Model "A" Fords 01-19-2024 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Mellor NJ (Post 2284730)
Right era but they're Hudsons 1930? Interesting that they're using women 2 to a car

This photograph shows that, sometimes the best man for the job is a woman!
Ford also used a worker on either side of the car to do the striping, although the strip didn't always match each other.
Can you imagine the skill required as the car was moving down the line! I guess that's why the stripers made the highest pay rate. Feel free to correct me if this was not the case.

jb-ob 01-19-2024 08:12 AM

Nice to fanaticize a pin striper holding his brush still as the car rolled by. After 50 years in that trade, I've yet to see it happen.

What you can learn from that picture is the bodies were striped very soon after painting and before adding obstacles like door handles, cowl lamps, and fenders.

motordr 01-19-2024 09:54 AM

Are in high heels?

RDVAARK 01-19-2024 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 2284743)

have you ever had your cold cuts cut by a man?

Not yet that I know of, but I've heard that you can have your prostate removed by a robot now.

Steve in Denver 01-19-2024 10:46 AM

The women are in heals AND dresses!!! And holding HER brush still as the cars roll by.

Keith True 01-19-2024 11:48 AM

I figured that for a promo shot.Heels like that for an 8 or 10 hour workday? I can see the dresses for work like that in the warm months,but that clean?No trash on the floor or on the carts,nice clean carts and paint cans,no dribs and drabs of paint anywhere.Still a good shot showing the pride they had in using women for what was always a mans job.

Dave Mellor NJ 01-20-2024 12:31 AM

Do you suppose they had left handers on one side and right handers on the other?

lrf 01-20-2024 01:55 AM

notice the third lady in the work line, she's wearing a fancier dress which is floral, dark colors, wide white collar, sort of looks like what a secretary would wear to work. I think this is a "set-up" photo or the company told them they were going to be photographed so look your best. LRF

Chris in WNC 01-20-2024 06:00 AM

Walking around the car?

A friend had his Tudor striped for fine point judging in about 1986.

He said the guy started at one side of the hood and walked right around the car without stopping.

ronn 01-20-2024 07:42 AM

I think this is a "set-up" photo

of course, just like wrestling. they would most likely wear coveralls.

Big hammer 01-20-2024 08:56 AM

Set up ! The ladies on the opposite side are looking the photographer !

Gene F 01-20-2024 04:16 PM

These comments are interesting. I have heard people say order the stuff and get a big piece of meatal and just play around. You will learn a lot faster than you'd think. My sister got the art bug, but it sure skipped over me!

I have always wanted to letter my back window, but could never work up the nerve.

Model "A" Fords 01-21-2024 09:31 AM

You can see pinstriping being done on the Model A assembly line here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clYNiITQ-PA Starts at the 17 minute mark.

LeonardS 01-21-2024 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris in WNC (Post 2285004)
Walking around the car?

A friend had his Tudor striped for fine point judging in about 1986.

He said the guy started at one side of the hood and walked right around the car without stopping.

I don’t think a brush could hold enough paint in the bristles to do the entire car without stopping. Maybe he used a rollerball striping tool?

jb-ob 01-21-2024 12:07 PM

From what I've read of our 'era', stripers used a # 6 brush. While it could hold a large 'charge' of paint, by today's sizing it's 'foot print' would be large enough to paint the entire side of a car.

Possible reason for such a large brush was the almost exclusive use of fast drying 'striping', heavy pigment lacquers... ??

Wasn't there, can only guess.

Synchro909 01-21-2024 05:04 PM

The pin striping brushes used today are made of Squirrel hair (a creature we don't have) and they hold enough paint to easily do a line the whole length of the car. I little variation in the pressure on the brush changes the thickness (width) of the line.
BTW, when mixing the paint for the pin stripe, add the merest dash of paint the same colour as the body. It will look much better.

jb-ob 01-21-2024 05:19 PM

Russian squirrel = expensive. A each brush gets it's personality from the mix of hairs used in combination to make for a stiff or soft brush.

Being hand made every brush has a different personality which is why a professional buys multiple. The perfect brush is one that creates a consistent thickness line. The striper guides, the brush does all the work.

spdway1 01-21-2024 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith True (Post 2284806)
I figured that for a promo shot.Heels like that for an 8 or 10 hour workday? I can see the dresses for work like that in the warm months,but that clean?No trash on the floor or on the carts,nice clean carts and paint cans,no dribs and drabs of paint anywhere.Still a good shot showing the pride they had in using women for what was always a mans job.

Keith,
You seem to know a lot about wearing heels for an 8 or 10-hour workday. Is this from experience? :eek::eek: