The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Removing oxidation from NOS radiator core (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285923)

Lawson Cox 08-20-2020 09:57 PM

Removing oxidation from NOS radiator core

I posed this same question on a thread several years ago but I cannot locate it in the archives and my fading memory cannot recall all of the great suggestions given to me. I have a NOS radiator core, still in the box, that is covered with fine film of oxidation on the brass. I need good solution for removing the oxidation before painting. Looking for information to refresh my memory.

Also, what is the correct nomenclature for the felt covered glass channel pieces that fit in the rear edge of the front doors that the glass slides back into when "cracking" the window for ventilation. We call them "Bat wings" around here, but that is not a Ford term.

Much appreciation from an old man with a bad case of CRS.

Lawson

19Fordy 08-20-2020 10:10 PM

Re: Removing oxidation from NOS radiator core

I would mix up a few gallons of water with white vinegar, pour it in, gently shake it for about 5 min. and then pour it out and rinse with clean fresh water. Repeat as needed.

Lawson Cox 08-20-2020 10:20 PM

What ratio of vinegar to water? Do you need to neuteralize the vinegar in any way?

FlatheadTed 08-20-2020 10:28 PM

Deap channel whiskers /rear deap channel ,Smokers vent channel .

V8COOPMAN 08-21-2020 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawson Cox (Post 1922364)
I have a NOS radiator core, still in the box, that is covered with fine film of oxidation on the brass. I need good solution for removing the oxidation before painting.

Lawson....Just to be clear, you're talking about this oxidation being on the OUTSIDE of the radiator, correct? DD

ford38v8 08-21-2020 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN (Post 1922390)
Lawson....Just to be clear, you're talking about this oxidation being on the OUTSIDE of the radiator, correct? DD

Remember, Lawson is in Georgia!

19Fordy 08-21-2020 07:59 AM

Lawson, I would add 1 cup vinegar to 4 gal water. Soak and rinse, rinse, rinse till it's nice and clean and you don't taste the vinegar.

1931 flamingo 08-21-2020 08:56 AM

Like V8COOPMAN I also believe he's talking about the outside..............
Paul in CT

KiWinUS 08-21-2020 09:10 AM

Get a plastic cement mixing tub from Lowe’s the big one. Then stop be supermarket & get some quarts of Coke. Enough to cover core. Let soak a few hours then rinse off. Good luck.

RalphM 08-21-2020 09:21 AM

When I worked at a radiator shop in the 70’s, we would use Muratic acid to clean the inside of the radiators before I painted them. It got them shiny as new on the inside, If any got on the outside it would do the same.
Just don’t leave them more than a few seconds if using pure acid. A watered down batch would work better I think.

glennpm 08-21-2020 09:26 AM

... and for anyone with an aluminum radiator, don't do this. You will end up with a nice gray tank.

5851a 08-21-2020 10:06 AM

An old boss of mine took his radiator out of the tractor and decided to flush it with muriatic acid once. Filled it up and left overnight, next morning had a clean leaky radiator and a hole in the concrete that was under it.

philipswanson 08-21-2020 10:16 AM

Also a phosphoric acid diluted with water will work great. That was the reason for using coke in the post above. You can find some in the paint department of any Home Depot. Also great for general de-rusting. Light oxidation is ok to leave, just shoot it with a light coat of some black lacquer. The residue left behind (phosphoric coating) will actually prevent further oxidation.

Lawson Cox 08-21-2020 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN (Post 1922390)

That's all I can see. May be on inside of tubes as well. I'm figuring to soak the whole thing to get both inside and outside surfaces.

Lawson Cox 08-21-2020 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1922409)
Lawson, I would add 1 cup vinegar to 4 gal water. Soak and rinse, rinse, rinse till it's nice and clean and you don't taste the vinegar.

Just damn. I was planning on using the vinegar on tossed salad with a little MMO. Oh well.

FlatheadTed 08-21-2020 03:33 PM

Washing soda to check it every few hrs ,

Lawson Cox 08-21-2020 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlatheadTed (Post 1922552)
Washing soda to check it every few hrs ,

Ted. What is "Washing soda"? We're up here on the top side dontcha know? LOL.

FlatheadTed 08-21-2020 06:11 PM

Hi Lawson ,Washing soda is a additive for the washing machine ,mild form of caustic soda.you might find more about it on the Model A , ,,Ted
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...t=washing+soda

JSeery 08-21-2020 08:07 PM

Washing soda, aka sodium carbonate(or soda ash), is a natural cleaner and a powerful water softener. It has a very high ph, 11, so be careful.