The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Shipping engine (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270712)

Don 10-10-2019 09:58 PM

Shipping engine

Anyone have a pic of bolting a engine on a pallet,might have to ship a complete engine, ,guess just use common sense, use bolts or banding

john greco 10-10-2019 10:38 PM

Re: Shipping engine

I shipped one to Belgium , made a metal Stand and bolted stand to engine and lag bolted stand to pallet

B-O-B 10-10-2019 10:45 PM

I had mine shipped from Or to Az. The machine shop made a stand out of angle iron & bolted to the engine & pallet then made a plywood box for it.

A bones 10-11-2019 05:48 AM

I used to be involved with long haul shipping, machinery and the like. I would prefer bolts as mentioned above. Although I see no harm in using both.

The problem with banding or strapping is one: if finish surface is important there is need to use padding ( angle board ), Two: during long distance there occurs the need to retighten. This due to vibrations caused by the road. ( In a Heavy truck, the road gets rough at times ) Banding becomes slack allowing for more movement and chafing, or failure.

oldford2 10-11-2019 06:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is how I have shipped engines. Used Fastenal for transport

19Fordy 10-11-2019 09:45 AM

Make a covering box for it to prevent theft of parts and damage. You'll be gad you did.

oldford2 10-11-2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1808522)
Make a covering box for it to prevent theft of parts and damage. You'll be gad you did.

Fastenal advised against boxing it to prevent stacking another pallet on it and leave the breather pipe to further deter loading anything on it. I have had Good luck on a few shipments with them.
John

A bones 10-11-2019 01:02 PM

Straps and bolts good job.

I hope the cap was secured and or the tube sealed.

19Fordy 10-11-2019 01:15 PM

Can you put it in a crate, like a crate engine?
https://www.toolsid.com/scribner-pla...SABEgIcWvD_BwE

oldford2 10-11-2019 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1808594)
Can you put it in a crate, like a crate engine?
https://www.toolsid.com/scribner-pla...SABEgIcWvD_BwE

That is another option but you have to spend $200 dollars for it and need to secure it on a pallet. Also mighty inviting for a shipped to put another pallet of unknown wt. on top.

frnkeore 10-11-2019 01:57 PM

Another, related question. I just recently found Fastenal shipping and it sure beats standard truck shipping.

Are there any other low priced shippers for engine/transmission type items?

Fastenal gives a price break, if the load is stackable but, not enough to cover the $190 cost of the crate.

Don 10-12-2019 06:23 AM

Got a note from buyer !said to deliver to fastenall ,they would use fork lift to remove from truck and take it from there,pretty simple,,all I have to do now ie get it fastened to a pallet and shrink wrapped,never done that before,what’s involved??

Gumpy 10-12-2019 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldford2 (Post 1808552)
Fastenal advised against boxing it to prevent stacking another pallet on it and leave the breather pipe to further deter loading anything on it. I have had Good luck on a few shipments with them.
John

Gone the same route,,,Fastenal is the least expensive and good service

Mike in Mass 10-12-2019 08:58 AM

I shipped a 99T to Sweden on a pallet,,wood blocks ,2 inch screws ,cheap ratchet straps from the big box store , sealed all opening with plastic wrap . I spent about 40 bucks and an hour or so .I had the pallet. You want customs to be able to check it out easily so I didnt box it

51504bat 10-12-2019 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don (Post 1808759)
Got a note from buyer !said to deliver to fastenall ,they would use fork lift to remove from truck and take it from there,pretty simple,,all I have to do now ie get it fastened to a pallet and shrink wrapped,never done that before,what’s involved??

Not all Fastenal locations have forklifts. Check with the actual store before hand. Don't ask me how I know.

Bored&Stroked 10-13-2019 12:45 PM

I make large wooden blocks that are screwed to the palette - that hold the engine up under the pan rails - and the water pumps (if a 37 or later engine). I take the starter off. I like to carry the load on the pan rails and by using blocks of wood, kind of holds the engine in place as well. Then I'd use ratchet straps to hold it in place.

Bored&Stroked 10-13-2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldford2 (Post 1808455)
Here is how I have shipped engines. Used Fastenal for transport

Nicely done!

trulyvintage 10-17-2019 12:36 AM

Buyer’s Responsibility

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don (Post 1808402)
Anyone have a pic of bolting a engine on a pallet,might have to ship a complete engine, ,guess just use common sense, use bolts or banding

How you “ package “ an engine for shipping depends on the
method of shipment and the choice of carrier.

That - should be up to the Buyer.

Have the Buyer advise the Seller of the requirements
and make the shipping arrangements.

Jim

Heard 10-17-2019 08:03 AM

Fastenal rates are good. I used them and they did a good job. Just be aware that their 'insurance' pays scrap metal prices.

Also, interestingly, they told me I had to completely box the engine. I guess it depends on who you talk to at Fastenal.

BrentButterworth 10-08-2020 05:26 AM

Of course bolts! My recommendation is not to bolt the engine directly to the pallet. You can rather bolt it to a wooden or metal stand first. You can search on the internet for pics!