The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   '40 Pickup full restoration project (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205069)

Kube 09-20-2016 07:52 AM

'40 Pickup full restoration project

3 Attachment(s)
Many of you seem to enjoy photos of a restoration's progress.

Hope you enjoy these. This one is intended to be as correct and high quality as possible.
I'm tryin', I'm tryin'!!

FHFD 09-20-2016 08:50 AM

Re: '40 Pickup full restoration project

And I would say that you're well on your way..nicely done!

Seth Swoboda 09-20-2016 08:59 AM

Kube, what paint system do you use? Base/Clear, single stage? Also, where do you get the dash knobs, choke, throttle, cigar lighter ect....? Do you buy the reproductions and what source do you find the most accurate and good quality. You really have the project looking good as usual. I'm asking because I have a '40 standard tudor project I'm hoping to get too soon.
Thanks,
Seth

38bill 09-20-2016 09:48 AM

Wow, that gas tank sure is a thing of beauty. The rest of it looks pretty nice too.

hotrodA 09-20-2016 09:53 AM

WOW!!
I'm in. Mind if I copy yours? Is the color cloud mist gray?

Kube 09-20-2016 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda (Post 1357435)
Kube, what paint system do you use? Base/Clear, single stage? Also, where do you get the dash knobs, choke, throttle, cigar lighter ect....? Do you buy the reproductions and what source do you find the most accurate and good quality. You really have the project looking good as usual. I'm asking because I have a '40 standard tudor project I'm hoping to get too soon.
Thanks,
Seth

Thanks for the kind words.

I prefer base / clear. It is sanded between coats as well as the final sand / buff.

I buy the repop knobs from Carpenter. If I am not mistaken, they are all made by the same guy - Carpenter. To be "correct" the recesses on the "standard" knobs need to be painted white.

Kube 09-20-2016 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrodA (Post 1357485)
WOW!!
I'm in. Mind if I copy yours? Is the color cloud mist gray?

Yes sir, Cloudmist Gray. I went to great lengths to get the shade as close to authentic as possible. The "usual" sources of paint are not close.
I was lucky enough to have a pair of doors from a '40 coupe as well as a wiper motor bracket that had a lot of the authentic paint remaining. The bracket and the insides of the doors had (obviously) been shielded from most the outer elements so as to allow me a good glimpse in to what the color actually was back in 1940.
The inside of the doors vs. the outside was amazingly different.

Seth Swoboda 09-20-2016 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1357491)
Thanks for the kind words.

I prefer base / clear. It is sanded between coats as well as the final sand / buff.

I buy the repop knobs from Carpenter. If I am not mistaken, they are all made by the same guy - Carpenter. To be "correct" the recesses on the "standard" knobs need to be painted white.

Thanks Kube. When I get into the tudor I may have more questions if you don't mind.

Were you at the Gettysburg meet? I was there talking with Ken Stewart (Redneck) and he suggested I help judge at the next meet I attend. He suggested this would be a good way to learn more about the '40 Fords. I'm a novice with the '40. Ken told me you would be a good learning resource.

Thanks again,
Seth

ford41 09-20-2016 10:20 AM

Beautiful work on a very difficult vehicle to restore.

Were you able to find a correct '01C' hot water heater with the drain hole on the bottom of unit? A difficult item to find for sure.

Mike in AZ 09-20-2016 01:31 PM

very nice work...hope to see more pics as progress happens...thanks for sharing....Mike

Tinker 09-20-2016 04:36 PM

I think a lot of us wouldn't mind seeing you do a complete build thread Kube. Covering the process start to finish, you wouldn't have to reveal all your magic tricks if you didn't want to. I know I'd check it out.

Nice truck.

Ray Balukas 09-20-2016 06:03 PM

beautiful work!

Kube 09-20-2016 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda (Post 1357503)
Thanks Kube. When I get into the tudor I may have more questions if you don't mind.

Were you at the Gettysburg meet? I was there talking with Ken Stewart (Redneck) and he suggested I help judge at the next meet I attend. He suggested this would be a good way to learn more about the '40 Fords. I'm a novice with the '40. Ken told me you would be a good learning resource.

Thanks again,
Seth

Seth, I am more than willing to help when I am able. Just ask...

Kube 09-20-2016 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ford41 (Post 1357508)
Beautiful work on a very difficult vehicle to restore.

Were you able to find a correct '01C' hot water heater with the drain hole on the bottom of unit? A difficult item to find for sure.

Yep, that's the correct heater. I was happy to find it (Thanks Larry C.). Larry was also helpful in providing a template so I could install it in the proper place.
This project has been a lot of fun thus far - quite different from all of the coupes and convertibles I've done.
Plus, as a bonus, I am learning new "stuff".

Kube 09-20-2016 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinker (Post 1357702)
I think a lot of us wouldn't mind seeing you do a complete build thread Kube. Covering the process start to finish, you wouldn't have to reveal all your magic tricks if you didn't want to. I know I'd check it out.

Nice truck.

Maybe my next project in line... a '40 convertible. I am part way through it already but have placed in it storage until the truck is completed. I have tons of photos of its (the convertible) process to date so could "go back" to the beginning.
If you think there'd truly be interest, I could do that I suppose...

Kube 09-20-2016 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Balukas (Post 1357761)
beautiful work!

Thanks for the kind words Ray.

hotrodA 09-20-2016 07:52 PM

I vote FOR a build thread, so I can use it on mine. That's beautiful CMG.

When you get to the seat, can you post some pics of how they connect to each other, as well as to the cab back. I'm missing something on mine.

JRHASZARD 09-20-2016 08:12 PM

I too would appreciate photos. I am trying to restore a 39 pickup and am not really a mechanic. Just a blind rust scraper.

Ken Crans 09-20-2016 08:24 PM

Another beautiful resto Mike, Did you paint all the sheet metal at one time? I love the color and the correct heater that you got from the other side of the world! Ken

mrfliboy 09-20-2016 09:07 PM

Simply beautiful, way more patience than I could dream of. Thanks for the pics.