The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Transport (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223397)

captndan 06-25-2017 08:15 AM

Transport

Car transport companies are very competitive and sneaky. Need recommendations good or bad. Shipping next week.

Great Lakes Greg 06-25-2017 08:18 AM

Re: Transport

[email protected]. He is out of Ohio and delivered an A from the east coast to me in Michigan. Reasonable price and showed up when he said he would.

1931 flamingo 06-25-2017 01:38 PM

TrulyVintage, he's a member here. I doubt if it would happen next week though. Good Luck.
Paul in CT

denis4x4 06-25-2017 04:13 PM

I use Reliable as you deal with them directly rather than a broker. Price is competitive and service has been excellent for picking up and delivery. One of the very few services out there that you get what you pay for.

d. 06-25-2017 06:09 PM

I have used Passport Transport several times, rates are good and constant contact via cell with the driver. They delivered exactly when promised.
good people.

Nabco 06-25-2017 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d. (Post 1490625)
I have used Passport Transport several times, rates are good and constant contact via cell with the driver. They delivered exactly when promised.
good people.

I've also used Passport, very, very professional, picked up two Model A's in Central Florida and both were delivered to two different locations in Ohio within 24 hours

RJV 06-26-2017 09:12 AM

I have used Reliable or so I thought. Their guy brokered someone else without letting me know nor their charge. I found out after the car was in transit and in the end a higher charge. Three weeks ago shipped a car to Kansas via Passport. Had the best cost, did what they said they would do.

ronn 06-26-2017 09:36 AM

should mention from and to
some smaller guys are very reasonable in certain regions

for example- I have cars towed 250-300 miles and the fee is usually always 250. in the northeast
not worth me going and gettin um!

also suggest YOU put insurance on your car, before it is towed, to cover yourself.
had a carrier with 300k of insurance (supposedly) who refused to pay after burning up my car on his rig.

Redbird 06-26-2017 10:56 AM

Reliable moved mine from LA to Austin!

Jim/GA 06-26-2017 03:49 PM

I found a very good private individual shipper (owned the truck that he drove), dealt with him directly, on two different occasions, through this service:

http://www.uship.com/vehicles/?r=712947

Of course you can't be stupid about how you arrange this transport with someone. You should have your own insurance. You need to read their reviews and their bios. I had a lot of brokers contact me, which I ignored. My drivers kept in touch with me during the journey (fuel stops, sleep stops, etc.).
YMMV.

Bill's Auto Works 06-26-2017 04:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
There is a very slim chance a QUALITY transporter would be available in that short of time. All three of us over on the Hamb : BenD, Racinman & Myself have ads in the Hamb O Dex section where you can see pictures of our equipment & HUNDREDS of references posted by the actual car guys that have used our service in the past. Here is mine.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

We have transported hundreds of vehicle for members of the "Barn" over the years, but we are always booked well in advance. If there is "some guy" sitting on his couch waiting for you to call, there is probably a reason & you don't want to use him.

Jim/TX/GA is completely right, you should have your own insurance @ what ever level makes you comfortable & get the transporters full name & do a Google search of their past!

If you would like to send me a P.M. with the information, I will be glad to see if I can squeeze it in between & give you cash on delivery prices as well.

God Bless
Bill Squires(owner)
Bill's Auto Works

dahrens1 06-26-2017 08:34 PM

I just got a quote to transport a 1931 Ford Model A 4-dr Phaeton from central FL to CT and Passport Transport was approximately $1300 and Reliable was approximately $1800. I'm not sure why the difference is so great or what extra value Reliable would provide. Sounds like a number of people on this board has had a good experience with Passport Transport. Do they ever broker your car or can you count on them to transport it themselves.

Dave

Nabco 06-26-2017 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahrens1 (Post 1491186)
I just got a quote to transport a 1931 Ford Model A 4-dr Phaeton from central FL to CT and Passport Transport was approximately $1300 and Reliable was approximately $1800. I'm not sure why the difference is so great or what extra value Reliable would provide. Sounds like a number of people on this board has had a good experience with Passport Transport. Do they ever broker your car or can you count on them to transport it themselves.

Dave

I had the same pricing difference experience with Passport compared to others...they charges me $2400 from Florida to Ohio for two cars

barkleydave 06-26-2017 08:59 PM

AT ALL COST AVOID BROKERS! I had a boat move from Michigan to Kentucky. Used a broker what a mess! It turned out ok the handoff was a driver with the right trailer and was an independent. Problem was the funds I had drawn he would not accept. I had to mess around and get other certified funds what a pain!

As always buyer beware!

CWPASADENA 06-26-2017 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denis4x4 (Post 1490586)
I use Reliable as you deal with them directly rather than a broker. Price is competitive and service has been excellent for picking up and delivery. One of the very few services out there that you get what you pay for.

I agree.

I have used Reliable several times with excellent results.

As stated before, GO DIRECTLY TO THEM, DO NOT USE A BROKER.

Most of the big transporters have a good reputation.

There are small transporters out there, but I would not use one of them unless I had personal experience, some are very good, some are a major problem.

I feel it is better to pay a little more and get quality service.

My opinion,

Chris W.

Gsquires 06-27-2017 01:22 AM

Passport recently moved a car for me, .ca to Fl, no issues, huge professional trailer, driver professional, and realtime GPS tracking. Not the cheapest but not the most expensive.

henry's 31 06-27-2017 11:31 AM

I echo what they say about Passport, competitive rates, great equipment, great drivers that communicate with you all the way.

Nabco 06-27-2017 12:17 PM

This kind of sounds trivial but my 90 year old father-in-law was freaking out about a stranger hauling his two babies......when Passport got there the two cars were still in the garage, my father-in-law said he would pull them out, the driver said no worries and jumped into th first car fired it up and backed it out....we were on the phone with them and my father-in-law immediately said "these guys know what the hell they are doing"

Bill's Auto Works 06-27-2017 04:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nabco (Post 1491451)
This kind of sounds trivial but my 90 year old father-in-law was freaking out about a stranger hauling his two babies......when Passport got there the two cars were still in the garage, my father-in-law said he would pull them out, the driver said no worries and jumped into th first car fired it up and backed it out....we were on the phone with them and my father-in-law immediately said "these guys know what the hell they are doing"

I do not think that is trivial in the least Sir,

In fact having a car guy do the transport is high on the list of importance. There are so many out there that know nothing about classic/hot rod/exotic vehicles, some have only learned what they know about classic cars from the forums they advertise on . I have owned close to 200 vehicles in my life, most of which are classics/hot rods/etc. Many times I drive my customers vehicles for them, put them in their garages, etc. Especially if they have just purchased it & are a little timid about driving it for the first time. See pictures. This gentleman was scared to death to back this monster down the hill & into his garage next to his Rolls Royce, so I did it for him!
Bill

d. 06-27-2017 05:03 PM

Passport does NOT broker your car, it is in their truck from A to Z, and you are in contact directly with the driver that picked your car up until it is delivered. Absolutely top notch honest service.