The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Moving back a fordor seat (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85114)

Jordan 10-04-2012 08:41 PM

Moving back a fordor seat

Is there any way of moving back a front seat in a 1930 Murray Town Sedan? I have the seat adjusted all the way back, I still get the feeling that my knees are wrapped around my neck. So is there any way of changing up the mounts on the seats to move it back a little further?

jkeesey 10-04-2012 08:58 PM

Re: Moving back a fordor seat

Not sure if this pertains to Murray or Briggs but I did one and simple unbolted the seat and moved the seat back and bolted the front of the seat frame to what used to be the rear bolts. For the new rear location I added a piece of wood under the steel pan and screwed it to the body and bolted the rear of the seat frame to that. Worked like a charm and is now comfortably driven by a 6ft 8 man.

Jordan 10-04-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkeesey (Post 511344)
Not sure if this pertains to Murray or Briggs but I did one and simple unbolted the seat and moved the seat back and bolted the front of the seat frame to what used to be the rear bolts. For the new rear location I added a piece of wood under the steel pan and screwed it to the body and bolted the rear of the seat frame to that. Worked like a charm and is now comfortably driven by a 6ft 8 man.

Do you happen to have pictures?

jkeesey 10-04-2012 09:38 PM

No I didn't carry a camera at the shop back then. From what I remember the rear of the seat bracket sat flat on the topside of his floor and could easily be measured from a body crossmember to mount the board underneath.

Mike V. Florida 10-04-2012 11:22 PM

If I remember correctly the the rails are bolted to the seat bottom. reposition the seat on the rails by drilling new holes and moving the rails.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-05-2012 06:33 AM

Actually, I believe what we have done is moved the mounting plate on the seat frame back. We have done a couple but I don't recall exactly but I am leaning towards the thought that there are four holes in a square pattern and you move it forwards where only two bolts are used. No need to move the tracks on the floor or seat.

Barry B./ Ma. 10-05-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 511500)
Actually, I believe what we have done is moved the mounting plate on the seat frame back. We have done a couple but I don't recall exactly but I am leaning towards the thought that there are four holes in a square pattern and you move it forwards where only two bolts are used. No need to move the tracks on the floor or seat.

I did as Brent says on my early 31 town sedan and it worked out well. You gain the distance of the hole spacing which is an inch or so.

Ken Head 03-09-2022 05:22 AM

All this is good guys but the '28 & '29 fordor did not have seat rails. (IDEA) does anyone know why I / we couldn't put seat rails under my wood seat frame? I also wonder how many hundreds of guys have asked that question before I did. I I imagine they began thinking about that in late 1927. LOL

duke36 03-09-2022 10:22 AM

The average male ht. in 1920 was approx. 5'-7" or a little more; Ford was 5'-10". Perhaps they sized for an average between male/ female?

30Murray 03-09-2022 09:53 PM

Remove the adjusting screw mechanism completely and you can push the seat back at least a couple more inches until it hits the floor. If that's not enough add some flat washers between the rails and the seat to raise it up a little and you can slide it back even more. Worked for me (6'3"). The rails are pretty tight so my seat will not move out of position with the adjuster removed.

oldbird55 03-10-2022 02:38 PM

Call Bentleys Maysville Ga They sell seats tracks that fit the 4 door .678 407 1947 seat will move 7 in back

Y-Blockhead 03-10-2022 02:50 PM

I movef the seat in my '30 Town Sedan back 3" and also bent the shifter 2" to the right so my legs would not get trapped under the steering wheel.

I agree with Duke36, people were "smaller" back then.

ETAModel 03-11-2022 02:13 AM

There was a depression on, so I'm told. Groceries were a luxury.
I'm built like a fireplug, and I find it easier to back in the door of the 30 Fordor.