The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Best / worst forum to sell Model A on. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322709)

McMimmcs 01-25-2023 10:49 AM

Best / worst forum to sell Model A on.

Looking for a quick and non complicated venue to sell an estate Model A vehicle. Please advise best and worst. I’m trying to help the widow of one of our deceased members. Regards, Wayne

alexiskai 01-25-2023 11:06 AM

Re: Best / worst forum to sell Model A on.

The condition of the vehicle will make a difference as to the ideal venue. Top & interior, does it run, is it a rare type, etc.

McMimmcs 01-25-2023 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexiskai (Post 2199112)
The condition of the vehicle will make a difference as to the ideal venue. Top & interior, does it run, is it a rare type, etc.

Thank you, one is an older restoration Roadster and the other is a newer restoration Tudor. Wayne

alexiskai 01-25-2023 11:47 AM

Maybe BaT for the roadster, if the top is good. The open-car premium is alive and well. If your priority is on "quick," then I think you either have to use a classifieds site and set the price too low for comfort, or use an auction site where the sale has a countdown.

For the Tudor, because it's what I would consider a "starter" Model A that appeals to everyone, you might look at posting it on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace where it will reach a large number of local buyers.

31Cabriolet68-C 01-25-2023 12:12 PM

Hemmings used to be just about the only/best way to get to the most potential buyers...
Used to be a lot of things.....
I wonder how productive the classified ads listed in the Model A owner's clubs publications have been for Barners?
(BTW, I found my Cabby in the Sunday New York Times "Classic Cars for Sale'' buried in the Sports Section back in 1969. The guy who sold it to me -- the second owner -- actually gave me the first copy of Hemmings I'd ever seen.) Long strange trip.....
Also, if it's not too pricy try the classified in the local papers...
Best of luck

Robert/Texas 01-25-2023 12:21 PM

Why not list it on this site?. The price for that is right.

ModelA29 01-25-2023 01:00 PM

BaT has a wait time to even get your car listed (if they accept it) and many hoops to jump through. I've seen a lot of what I'd call "estate As" on small dealer and collector sites. All were at least 5 grand over what I figure they were worth. I'd guess they were consignments so it didn't matter to the dealer how long they sat. MAFCA has a classified section. The run of the mill cars don't fit in well with national advertising. Go local - Someone isn't going to spend 15-20 grand without laying eyes on the car. Sure a inspection guy will look at it for $150 and then there is getting it transported for another 1,500-3,000. That adds too much to the cost.
I suspect this isn't the best time of the year to be selling a summer car in MI.

ronn 01-25-2023 01:11 PM

As Ive mentioned many times, ebay brings realistic prices for the current market. only 125. to sell each car and you get paid rather quickly. Easy to set up.

Model a pricing on BAT Hemmings or even here on the barn are not that great.
These are common models that you are selling and it should be pretty obvious as to what the final sale range will be. Just search sold model A's on ebay and you have your answer..........

Brokenvette 01-25-2023 01:24 PM

I sold 2 cars on Hemmings auction last year. Got excellent results. You can list them for $99 with a reserve amount. If it does not sell it goes to make an offer if you desire. Good luck with the sale.

alexiskai 01-25-2023 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModelA29 (Post 2199149)
I suspect this isn't the best time of the year to be selling a summer car in MI.

That's a great question – is there a "high season" for antique cars, like there is for houses? Maybe in the spring? Weather is getting warm, tax refunds are in.

McMimmcs 01-25-2023 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brokenvette (Post 2199151)
I sold 2 cars on Hemmings auction last year. Got excellent results. You can list them for $99 with a reserve amount. If it does not sell it goes to make an offer if you desire. Good luck with the sale.

I sent you a private email. Car is close to you, I believe.

WHN 01-25-2023 02:23 PM

I use Hemmings.

Last car I sold was in April of 2022. Listed it on Saturday, was sold Monday morning by noon.

I use many pictures, also complete details on what has been done to the car and by who.

I don’t sell or buy Shade Tree Mechanics maintained cars. Only a car with few owners or longtime ownership.

There’s a lot of junk out there.

Good luck.

Charlie Stephens 01-25-2023 04:36 PM

I would use Fordbarn, HAM, and AHOOGA since they are all free. I would contact the two national clubs. I would contact all of the local clubs within a couple of hundred miles and ask if they would put it in their monthly news letter. Be sure to include pictures.

Charlie Stephens

CarlG 01-25-2023 07:04 PM

CarlG 01-25-2023 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMimmcs (Post 2199118)
Thank you, one is an order restoration Roadster and the other is a newer restoration Tudor. Wayne

What is an "order restoration"?

alexiskai 01-25-2023 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 2199243)

I think he meant “older”

McMimmcs 01-25-2023 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 2199243)

My apologies. “ older restoration “.

Bleedblue4life 01-25-2023 08:21 PM

I've sold 2 Model A's (30 deluxe Roadster and 31 Slant fordor) in the past 2 months using facebook marketplace and MARC and MAFCA facebook pages. Neither one lasted a week. One went 3 hours away and one went 14 hours away.

31a 01-25-2023 09:14 PM

I have bought and sol d Model a s on Facebook Marke placeand craigs list with good success. If it is a high dollar car you will do better on MARC or MAFCA

CarlG 01-26-2023 03:16 AM

I bought the Model A in my avatar on eBay.