The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Interesting Comments about you Ride (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269756)

vern hodgson 09-21-2019 07:24 PM

Re: Interesting Comments about you Ride

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETAModel (Post 1801547)
Was Driving the '30 Fordor a month ago, about dark, & decided to get some gas. Stopped at an OLD gas station/convenience store in a really seedy part of town cause they sell non-ethanol gas. A totally-pimped out 80's Bagger Monte Carlo pulled up alongside, a 20 something year old behind the wheel, his stereo Thumping Hard!! He lowered his MC, asked what year she was. He couldn't hear me over his music, he killed his car, got out and walked over.

His baggy pants, Dew rag, and gold chains were a stark contrast to the Bare Bones '30 Sedan. He crawled ALL over the car; inside, outside, under the hood, got behind the wheel, asked a 1000 questions. Kept saying he's never seen anything like it. He was completely respectful, knew a lot about cars. I was polite as well and answered everything I could. We drew a small crowd of onlookers.

After about 20 minutes I got back behind the wheel and told him we were gonna make the drag and catch a drive-in movie...he said "do they still have those?" I laughed and said no.

How’s about the old timer who backs up to the front fender grabs the welt and exclaims,” we usta lift em up like this when we had to change a tire” while he struggles to lift it up off the ground.

jquinlan 09-21-2019 08:34 PM

It was a beautiful night tonight and we heard about a truck show which featured a bunch of lifted gigantic trucks. Thought it would be fun to bring our 28 pickup.

One little kid about 9-10 was very interested in our truck and asked a bunch of questions. But the best was when he pinched his fingers over my spare tire to measure the width and then walked over with his fingers open the size of my tire and held it over a monster truck tire parked next to me to compare size of our tires. My wife got a kick out of watching the little guy.

woofa.express 09-22-2019 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHuDWah (Post 1801289)
Why don't mules go to school?

Ask Bing, he knows.

Bob-A 09-22-2019 07:06 AM

Some times when I was driving my 1929 Chevy coach. People would ask, "What year is your Model-A?" :eek::eek:

Bob-A:D

Skirts belong on women, not car fenders! ;)

shark 81 09-22-2019 08:24 AM

at a local car show a few weeks ago a lovely young lady asked me if she could have her picture taken while sitting in my car, she said the car and her were the same age... priceless.

Purdy Swoft 09-22-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrs1961815 (Post 1801336)
Here's one that I get a lot: "That is a nice Model T!"

I've had the same experience . Some here call them T models . It does no good to try and correct them .

Russ/40 09-22-2019 11:17 AM

I guess the reaction I have found that most tickled me was a fellow at a car show that said: "A Truck with an open top, how cool is that." The guy in his 20's was desperate to have the truck, but Toni is not for sale, yet.

My choice of color was influenced by how 28/29 fenders wrap around the tires, like on a model T. Gives people the impression the truck is even older than it is. Plus there are too many green ones. ;)

bdtutton 09-22-2019 12:18 PM

I am 58 and I have a black 1930 Tudor with whitewalls....It looks kind of gangster...

I use mine as a daily driver, so I get lots of questions.....
1. How old were you when that car was made?? (I was born in 1960)
2. What do those handles on the inside of the door do? (Window cranks)
3. What kind of radio did those come with?
4. Where do you get fuel for something like this?
5. How fast does it go?
6. Manual transmission....wow, you know how to drive a stick shift?
7. Did you build that from a kit?
8. That probably rides smoother than new cars.
9. Can you still get parts for that?
10. Can you blow the horn?
11. Can I take a picture?
12. How often do you show it. (Never...bought it to drive)
13. Is that a Cadillac ??
14. When people see it at my office they ask.."How did it get here?" (I drove it)
15. How would you get it home after dark?? (See those nice headlights)
16. Is this like the Bonnie and Clyde car?
17. Where did you get it?
18. Did you restore it yourself?
19. Can I see the interior and/or engine.
20. How much did it cost or how much is it worth....

Like I said...I never show it, but I drive it a lot so lots of people come up to me asking lots of questions about the car....I know I will think of 20 more as soon as I post this.

CHuDWah 09-22-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woofa.express (Post 1801702)
Ask Bing, he knows.

Just poking a little fun at Synchro's post. :D

Jemelton# 09-22-2019 06:25 PM

I thought you could only get them in black, is the one I get the most.

Synchro909 09-22-2019 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jemelton# (Post 1801955)
I thought you could only get them in black, is the one I get the most.

I've got that more than once too. I explain that was for the Model T and in America only - we had the choice of about half a dozen colours. Sometimes the look on their face is disbelief, sometimes iyt looks as though their world has just crumbled!

Synchro909 09-22-2019 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft (Post 1801787)
I've had the same experience . Some here call them T models . It does no good to try and correct them .

Everybody here calls them T Models or A Models. Likewise, no point correcting them.:mad:

arnhemmer 09-22-2019 09:09 PM

A fellow in a brand new top of the line Chevy pickup truck pulled up to the pump next to me. As I was filling my Tudor up he asked me what year car it is. I told him that it is a 1930 model A Tudor. He proceeded to tell me that my Tudor would probably outlast his new truck. I just told him that it already has.

1928Mik 09-23-2019 11:22 AM

Basically what I have gotten is:
1. How much is it worth?
2. Nice Model T!
3. It has a planetary transmission, right?
4. What kind of gas does it use?
5. How do you get by with one tail light?

Merc Cruzer 09-23-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arnhemmer (Post 1802023)
A fellow in a brand new top of the line Chevy pickup truck pulled up to the pump next to me. As I was filling my Tudor up he asked me what year car it is. I told him that it is a 1930 model A Tudor. He proceeded to tell me that my Tudor would probably outlast his new truck. I just told him that it already has.

I will remember that one, the next time I hear that said.

walkerlakeprinter 09-23-2019 11:35 AM

Our grandson asked: "Is that the car that Abraham Lincoln drove?"

burner31 09-24-2019 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was at a car show last week-end with my '31 A and told a guy during conversation that my other car was a '57 Chevy,,,He said "Oh really, what year?

Purdy Swoft 10-04-2019 09:07 AM

I was once told that my running boards were wrong ,Original running boards were made of wood . My answer , most don't know this .

37 Coupe 10-04-2019 09:25 AM

I was driving a 1930 roadster that I had just bought,top down or rather no top at all,this was 1964 and I was 18 years old.A young person asked me at a stoplight"What year was my Jeep"? Never have forgotten that one.

The Master Cylinder 10-04-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry (Post 1801264)
drove my 1930 tudor to church one Sunday. One of the kids told his mother,"Mr. Gordon has got a toy car"

Reminds me of the old saying "The difference between the men and the boys is the size of their toys". :p:p