The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   electric gas pump on a 39 PU Frame (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269019)

Clem Clement 09-05-2019 05:56 PM

electric gas pump on a 39 PU Frame

I'm adding a electric fuel pump. Mount it on the bottom flange of the frame away from the electric wires and forward the rubber spring bumper?

JSeery 09-05-2019 07:42 PM

Re: electric gas pump on a 39 PU Frame

About anywhere that is convenient close to the tank. Some pumps make a bit of noise, might want to mount it on some type of rubber isolator if that concerns you. Also normally want a filter on the inlet side of the pump.

skidmarks 09-05-2019 08:07 PM

I make a bracket and mount them to the top of the rear crossmember were it's easy to access and plumb up. Perfer not to use rubber hose.

Clem Clement 09-05-2019 08:52 PM

thanks

38bill 09-05-2019 10:01 PM

I mounted mine on the rear crossmember just left of the tank. I used a rubber mounting pad and used short rubber fuel lines at the pumps inlet and outlet to connect with the metal lines. I think the rubber line keeps the noise from amplifying through the frame and fuel lines. It also make it easier to change the inline fuel filter.

50fordcoupeman 09-05-2019 11:39 PM

I also added a fuel shut off valve just out of the tank. Nice to shut off the gas supply while changing the filter.

drolston 09-06-2019 01:11 PM

I mounted mine inside the frame rail just in front of the left rear wheel. Be sure to include a filter. I connected mine with rubber fuel line, including a "service loop" both behind and in front of the pump to make the pump or filter easier to replace. The extra length of rubber fuel line also makes it easier to seal off both ends using clamps or vice grips instead of a valve, which is just another thing to leak or get stuck.

skidmarks 09-06-2019 02:24 PM

The reason I avoid rubber hose, modern gas. I have had a number of deteriorated hose that wasnt that old.

If you use hose find the best quality available and keep an eye on it.

drolston 09-06-2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmarks (Post 1796246)
The reason I avoid rubber hose, modern gas. I have had a number of deteriorated hose that wasnt that old.

If you use hose find the best quality available and keep an eye on it.

Amen. Any sign of softness or swelling, replace with the best stuff available, certified for use with gasohol.

FireEngineMike 09-07-2019 12:38 PM

You can buy hose that meets all standards for ethanol fuel that is designed for carb engines. No need to spend extra for FI rated hose. I bought gates hose from rock auto with the fuel filter order.