The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   '33 starter ...click ...click (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271267)

al's28/33 10-20-2019 11:42 PM

'33 starter ...click ...click

For some time now, everytime I cold start my '33 pickup the starter seems to disengage the flywheel and spin, then when I step off the switch and try again she'll start. Today there was dead silence, so I pushed her backwards while in 2nd gear to try and dislodge a possible hung-up Bendix. No go. Several re-attempts and still nothing.
Good strong battery, no frayed wires, no corroded connections. all wiring clean and secure.
I assume it's the Bendix or bad brushes. What are the tricks to removing and replacing a starter motor? Does the exhaust need to be removed or the wishbone loosened up before hand or can the starter be angled up/down and away and then repeat after I've found the issue??

Lawrie 10-21-2019 02:03 AM

Re: '33 starter ...click ...click

Just get under and undo the two bolts plus, if fitted the small brkt onto the oil pan bolt, and of corse the cable
Lawrie

Kpar 10-21-2019 02:51 AM

A little bit more info Lawrie, If it has a modern bendex fitted be prepared for a bit more jiggling to get it out.
Kpar

al's28/33 10-21-2019 10:13 PM

And what about getting the replacement back in, does the gear or spring have to be set any special way ?

deuce_roadster 10-22-2019 08:57 AM

No, just get the Bendix past the flywheel. I always push the gear as far away from the body of the starter as it will go but I don't think that is necessary.

bluardun 10-22-2019 11:54 AM

Possibly something as simple as a poor/loose ground.

1931 flamingo 10-22-2019 02:07 PM

AFTER you remove the 2 bolts be careful as you remove it OR it will come apart (don't ask me how I know :):eek::)).
Paul in CT

Chip"s Electrical, Park Ave, E. Hartford, CT put mine back together at a reasonable price and even had the Bendix lock washers.

FlatheadTed 10-22-2019 03:48 PM

How about the starter button could be faulty ,should be floor mounted ,fit a jumper lead onto Neg bat then touch the starter side lead or terminal should get it to engage ,

TJ 10-23-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlatheadTed (Post 1812636)
How about the starter button could be faulty ,should be floor mounted ,fit a jumper lead onto Neg bat then touch the starter side lead or terminal should get it to engage ,

Good advice on the starter button, especially if it's a repo button. I've seen more than one of those repos cause problems.

al's28/33 10-30-2019 10:36 PM

UPDATE.... I removed the starter and found no missing teeth on the flywheel which was one possibility of the spinning when trying to start. The switch itself is original and that tests fine, no burned out contact points or frayed wires. Battery is strong and fully charged. Cables were all replaced (15 years old now) Now to test the starter, could the Bendix spring be weak or the shaft gear stripped somewhere which causes the slippage/spinning action?

Is there a way to test the starter for torque pressure on the Bendix?