The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How would one handle this ??? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155106)

BILL WZOREK 11-19-2014 08:43 AM

How would one handle this ???

1st. let me state that there are no bad words or hurt feelings between us.

At the end of February this year I had a customer contact me about A pair of 32 replacement shocks that I advertised for sale on the barn.

We came to terms He sent the money via. Pay Pal
I shipped the shocks March 3 rd. using the U.S. Postal flat rate box
At that point I emailed him the tracking #
All was well Till yesterday. I received a email from him saying he had forgot about them and tried to check the Postal tracking # to no avail
The # was to old.
Once again there have been no harsh words just his statement about he not remembering ever getting them.

I sent him a email today telling him That I had this happen one other time
But when I told that gentleman they were shipped in a Postal flat rate box He found them on his shelf saying he had been looking for a cardboard box and all was well but this time frame was less then 2 months.

What is the consciences of how I should handle this if he can not find them ??????

Terry,OH 11-19-2014 09:02 AM

Re: How would one handle this ???

contact the PO directly, see if they can track.

4tford 11-19-2014 09:22 AM

If he forgot to pick them up, that is his problem not yours.

Kube 11-19-2014 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK (Post 983752)
1st. let me state that there are no bad words or hurt feelings between us.

At the end of February this year I had a customer contact me about A pair of 32 replacement shocks that I advertised for sale on the barn.

We came to terms He sent the money via. Pay Pal
I shipped the shocks March 3 rd. using the U.S. Postal flat rate box
At that point I emailed him the tracking #
All was well Till yesterday. I received a email from him saying he had forgot about them and tried to check the Postal tracking # to no avail
The # was to old.
Once again there have been no harsh words just his statement about he not remembering ever getting them.

I sent him a email today telling him That I had this happen one other time
But when I told that gentleman they were shipped in a Postal flat rate box He found them on his shelf saying he had been looking for a cardboard box and all was well but this time frame was less then 2 months.

What is the consciences of how I should handle this if he can not find them ??????

Bill,
I sell and ship a LOT of parts all over the world. I make it clear that insurance is optional but if the package is lost or damaged and no insurance was purchased, too bad, so sad. Most guys don't take the time to read that statement which is clearly placed in every ad as well as every invoice. Insured delivery is on the buyer.
On the rare occasion a package has been lost and the buyer complains, I have NO guilty conscience if he did not read the statement and / or chose to save a buck or two and take his chances.
Bill, this one is on your buyer. NOT you.

Clem Clement 11-19-2014 09:56 AM

After30 days, Fugetabotit

V12Bill 11-19-2014 10:24 AM

Priority mail automatically carries $50. of insurance. Start with your post office to track package and make insurance claim.

Carl 11-19-2014 10:54 AM

Kube- I look at it differently. On parts sales of over $50.00( I ship via Priority Mail which includes $50.00 in insurance), to avoid any problems and hard feelings, cost of insurance is included in shipping costs, period.

JM 35 Sedan 11-19-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V12Bill (Post 983798)
Priority mail automatically carries $50. of insurance. Start with your post office to track package and make insurance claim.

That's correct, and with UPS ground it's $100.00. I just had to put in a claim for an item I shipped that got damaged to the point it was no longer usable. UPS settled on the claim by paying me the full insured amount + my shipping cost. I always make sure that any item I ship is covered for its full replacement value. Either the customer pays for the insurance or I pay for it, but either way it is insured.

A bones 11-19-2014 11:15 AM

Hi Bill, Its out of your hands. You sent the shocks. you sent an Email with tracking # .

He did not respond to the Email. He did not come back at you, for lack of service, for more than eight months. (its not like he was waiting on a rebuild - these were available in Feb)

You need to recognize that now, it is between the buyer, his own self, and the post office.

If there is any way you can influence the post office to check the record fine. Other than that it is out of your hands.

Karl Wescott 11-19-2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl (Post 983821)
Kube- I look at it differently. On parts sales of over $50.00( I ship via Priority Mail which includes $50.00 in insurance), to avoid any problems and hard feelings, cost of insurance is included in shipping costs, period.

Both options are, in my opinion, ethical. Agreements need to be clear though.

rotorwrench 11-19-2014 12:42 PM

I've had several items stolen after delivery due to the contract postman hanging the package from the mailbox inside a plastic bag instead of issuing a hold for pick up card like they are supposed to. Whomever the schmucks were that stold the parts likely threw the auto parts away since it was of no value to them anyway. I end up having words with nearly all the postal delivery contracors in my area due to this since there is no recourse. The USPS just ain't what it used to be.

I have anything of value shipped UPS or FED EX or at least have a signature required so as not to lose stuff in this way. I've had to deliver main rotor blades up to Fort Worth due to the insurance being either too high a price or not available. I can't afford to eat a $22,000 rotor blade for sure.

J Franklin 11-19-2014 12:57 PM

The PO should know if it was delivered by the tracking No. And I think flat rate carries the $50 insurance. If you emailed the # it might be in your sent folder and maybe you could do some investigation. Otherwise I think it is too late to worry about it at all.

34fivewindow 11-19-2014 01:06 PM

Everything I sell, has to be signed for, this put an end to all problems so far.

Mike in Mass 11-19-2014 05:57 PM

Bill your a nice guy to even answer his question AFTER 8 MONTHS ,,,REALLY PAL ?? , I,m with Clem fagetaboutit

DavidG 11-19-2014 07:05 PM

I vote with A bones and Mike in Mass. You handled the initial transaction in a professional and thorough manner. The ship has sailed. Sorry, but both buyer and seller share responsibilities in a transaction and you held up your end of the bargain. The buyer did not.

OLD...BILL 11-19-2014 07:10 PM

I ask the seller / shipper to put my name and address on the item in the box, yes tape it on glue it on nail it thumb tack ... yes IN THE BOX...should it get out and walk around ,,,, it has helped at times ,,,if it's heaver ...hey it works and I get what I order and payed for... I don't do a lot of buying but it works... for me .....OLD....BILL

skidmarks 11-19-2014 07:24 PM

I sold a guy some tools along time ago. He only lived about 20 miles away but wanted the tools shipped because he didn't have time to come get the stuff. He paid me right away and I shipped it off. About a month or so later I get blasted with were the hell are the tools I paid you for ??????.I check the tracking and there was a note the drive added that said left at the front door. I let the buyer know and the package was there and had been for about a month. His reply was sorry, I don't use the front door.

Ross F-1 11-19-2014 07:27 PM

I just put in a tracking number from February 14 of this year, and it showed the complete history until delivered. I've never heard of them "expiring". Are you sure you gave him the right number?

Binx 11-19-2014 07:52 PM

My wife ordered a contract phone that never showed up. Big fight with the vendor ensued. Some time later a neighbor who had been on vacation for more than a month came by with her phone in a waterlogged box. My address, 4892. Delivered address 4982. Just sayin' it is possible.

Lonnie

BILL WZOREK 11-20-2014 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross F-1 (Post 984088)
I just put in a tracking number from February 14 of this year, and it showed the complete history until delivered. I've never heard of them "expiring". Are you sure you gave him the right number?

I went to the post office yesterday w/the # the post lady could not get any answer so she said she would try to dig deeper today or tomorrow.
However she did say it is a good #.