The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Late V8 (1954+) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   T-Bird valve covers (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31452)

Keith True 03-14-2011 06:20 PM

T-Bird valve covers

I have unearthed two pair of new finned aluminum valve covers.They have the Thunderbird logo on them,and are still in the Ford boxes.I forgot to get the Ford part number off them today.They belong to a friend who was heavily into these in the late 60's and early 70's.He owned a couple dozen of these cars,and he sold the entire parts collection over 30 years ago.These were tucked in a storage trailer,and while cleaning it out to scrap today I came across the covers.He does not do the computer thing at all,so I told him I would scout around and find what to ask for them.Bottom line is he doesn't want to ask $500.if they are worth $5. and doesn't want to ask $5.if they are worth $500.His daughter wants to do the ebay thing,but he is in no hurry so I told him I would try asking around first.I will be making 0 on them,so what should he ask?He said years ago he had dozens of these two bolt covers for the early 312 Birds.

darrell 03-14-2011 07:28 PM

Re: T-Bird valve covers

they started making these covers again.they go for 360 a set.

34pickup 03-14-2011 07:46 PM

I recently bought a used set for $275 that needed cleaning up but not damaged.

raceron1120 03-14-2011 08:00 PM

Yes, $350ish sounds about right. I've been kinda looking around and that seems to be the current asking price.

ron

Keith True 03-14-2011 08:38 PM

Thanks,I will try to get pictures tomorrow,and the part #'s off the boxes.What stood out to me was the quality of the colors in the T Bird insignia on them.There is nothing like NOS stuff.

LukeDahlinger 03-14-2011 08:56 PM

Up until the late 90s you could go to your local Ford dealer & order them for $125 ea. they also carried 55-57 T-bird parts such as tail light lenses, tail light housings, misc. emblems, etc.

YBlockHead 03-15-2011 09:55 AM

I am interested in a pair for my 56 Customline, put me first in line when you determine a price.

Keith True 03-15-2011 10:52 AM

I just stopped over to get a picture and the part numbers,he caved and let his daughter/son in law put at least one set on ebay.It looks like one set was sold for $300.After I told him what was told to me here he told somebody who wanted a set,they're picking them up this afternoon.There may be more uncovered by now.When he sold all the parts in 1978 he missed this stash of parts in the trailer.He bought a lot of Ford parts in the 60's and 70's from dealers.He has been in the salvage business since 1965.He has storage trailers that have been there for 45 years.There are very few surprises left in those trailers,for the most part we all know what is in them,but these were a surprise.There may be more,they are digging out the inside of the trailer right now.This morning they came across a new shifter assembly for a 57 T-Bird.One good thing is that the trailer had no leaks,so everything is nice and dry with the exception of the upholstery.All the upholstery boxes are full of mice.

coilover 03-27-2011 08:39 PM

This is about a set of early staggered bolt hole NOS Corvette valve covers but will apply Fords as well. When I took them out of the blue and white GM box there was white fuzzy corrosion on the edge that goes near the intake. I cleaned it off and was lucky no pitting had started but is dark colored in those areas. Is there anything that will get rid of the dark areas and what can I put on them to prevent this again? Maybe wax them good? Thank you, Evan