The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Clutch chatter eliminated finally (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294755)

1948F-1Pickup 02-20-2021 10:19 AM

Clutch chatter eliminated finally

2 Attachment(s)
I removed the pedal carrier/support the other day to replace the bushings that the brake and clutch pedal rotate on.
I discovered that the rear portion of the clutch linkage rod was "wallowed" out.
(It's pretty much buried in there when everything is assembled and hard to see)
It's part 7RT-7521 and the damage looked similar to the first photo.... roughly double the hole size that should have been there.
Welded that mess up and re-drilled to something closer to the second photo.

Nice to be able to release the clutch now and not shake the truck to pieces.

Ross F-1 02-20-2021 12:19 PM

Re: Clutch chatter eliminated finally

2 Attachment(s)
Mine was about the same, so I replaced it. I was also having clutch chatter but it didn't really help. Just having a fresh piece in there, with grease on it, did make the clutch action much smoother.

19Fordy 02-20-2021 12:24 PM

Well done. Great detective work.

Kube 02-20-2021 12:56 PM

Many, MANY guys never address all the wear points in the linkages required to shift properly.
The bushings that surround the clutch release shaft, the shaft itself, the shaft and bushings at the pedal bracket, the rod (as you'd depicted) and the pin. All of these wear points add up exponentially and as such make shifting difficult if not impossible at times.

1948F-1Pickup 02-20-2021 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1987553)
Well done. Great detective work.

Thanks. Prior to this discovery I had convinced myself that I needed a
disc with decent friction on it and a better pressure plate.....

1948F-1Pickup 02-20-2021 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1987570)
Many, MANY guys never address all the wear points in the linkages required to shift properly.
The bushings that surround the clutch release shaft, the shaft itself, the shaft and bushings at the pedal bracket, the rod (as you'd depicted) and the pin. All of these wear points add up exponentially and as such make shifting difficult if not impossible at times.

I really, really did not expect that removing the play at that "rod" end would contribute to that significant of an improvement....

Kube 02-20-2021 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1948F-1Pickup (Post 1987590)
I really, really did not expect that removing the play at that "rod" end would contribute to that significant of an improvement....

Rest assured you are not alone. I have repaired numerous cars for folks that turned out required bushings, etc. All too often this was after they had replaced the clutch assembly. Kind of added salt to the wound when i had to remove the transmission, etc.

slowforty 02-21-2021 01:41 PM

I had a 40 with a horizonal crack in the clutch equalizer shaft. When you sat for awhile with the clutch pedal pressed to the floor the clutch would start to engage by itself. Took a little while to figure it out but then again I am slow sometimes(?)

19Fordy 02-21-2021 01:59 PM

Wow, slowforty, a crack like that sure seems very unusual. Amazed that you found it. Wish you could post a photo of it.

slowforty 02-22-2021 12:14 AM

Yeah the part is in the garage and it is too cold to go out.
There was a lot of grease on it so it was hard to find, also changed all the bushings too.
New mounts and good steady rods help a lot.