The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12576)

zzlegend 09-27-2016 02:33 PM

Re: How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiny (Post 1361290)
ZZlegend What shocks are those?

60's MGB

Tiny 09-27-2016 04:39 PM

Are these the ones that just bolt on? Do you have a specific year?

zzlegend 09-27-2016 05:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yes Tiny. These have the same identical bolt pattern as a stock "A" has. And these usually go by the name "Armstrong" which is stamped on them. I just had to rebend the arms a little and welded on the shock balls. If I recall right, MGA's will also work but the bolt pattern is about 1/4" narrower. So redrilling is required. As for year,,,,,,,,,,,,Not sure exactly. I have another set like this and traded a narrower set to a friend. He drilled and mounted and is using them now.

Tiny 09-27-2016 05:56 PM

Thank you. Now the hunt begins

Bob C 09-27-2016 06:33 PM

Just look on epay http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=...ds=&rmvSB=true

Bob

zzlegend 09-27-2016 07:10 PM

Yep, that's where I got mine about 7 years ago. Tiny just ask questions if you find a set. Mainly about the bolt spacing.

Scott F. 10-12-2016 06:34 PM

Great thread. I am in the planning and parts collecting stages of doing a 20-25 T roadster on an A chassis and plan to lower this way but have a question about my combo. I plan to use the A wishbone with a 32-36 axle, 32-34 perches, 32-34 spindles, 1932 brakes. I have a couple sets of 32 actuators and just bought 32-34 king pin set. Can this work together? Basically I thought I could hook onto the 32 actuators with the A rods since everything ahead of the rod is 32-34 I figured it will work together but wanted to check. Thanks fellas. PS, hoping to find a decent B motor to mount in front of my 32 trans with Zephyr gears.
Thanks,
Scott

1931 flamingo 10-12-2016 06:49 PM

U might want to go over to the HAMB to ask these questions.................

Paul in CT

Scott F. 10-12-2016 07:23 PM

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the reply. I thought this question fit right in with the thread. I am collecting and using all original Ford parts. Granted, I am not restoring to the way it came from the factory but I didnt think this was strictly a restorers site. Besides, most of you guys are really in tune with the early Ford parts.
Scott

dumb person 10-12-2016 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott F. (Post 1368570)
Great thread. I am in the planning and parts collecting stages of doing a 20-25 T roadster on an A chassis and plan to lower this way but have a question about my combo. I plan to use the A wishbone with a 32-36 axle, 32-34 perches, 32-34 spindles, 1932 brakes. I have a couple sets of 32 actuators and just bought 32-34 king pin set. Can this work together? Basically I thought I could hook onto the 32 actuators with the A rods since everything ahead of the rod is 32-34 I figured it will work together but wanted to check. Thanks fellas. PS, hoping to find a decent B motor to mount in front of my 32 trans with Zephyr gears.
Thanks,
Scott

i suspect so, but i'm not 100% sure. As far as i know (because i was researching the same thing about 18 months ago) that can be made to work but you might need spacer washers in the wishbone-axle area. But i could be thinking that was for an earlier axle altogether...

Bob C 10-12-2016 08:33 PM

I think you may have a problem with the 32 king pins and actuators as the 32 brake rods go to the center of the car where as the Model A rods run along the frame. If you mount up the 32 parts it looks like the brake rods will hit the spring perch if they
go straight back.

Bob

Scott F. 10-12-2016 09:06 PM

Thanks Bob. I am in the garage now playing around with this set up and I think youre right. So if I get model A actuators and kingpins I should still be able to run the 32 front brakes though right?

62pan 10-13-2016 08:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Scott, you can use what you have just swap the king pins and I believe the actuators to the oppsite side. The actuators will need the arm removed and inverted so that when connected to the brake rod they work properly. To understand this the actuator needs to push the brake pin down when the actuator arm is pulled back. The kin pins need moved to the oppsite side so the actuators line up ok. I did this on my roadster years ago.

TWSTR 10-13-2016 08:32 AM

Like to join in with another question: What is the reason for use the 32 spindles and spring perches? As far as I know they are the same until the spring moves forward the axle. Guess in 1935? In other words: is the entire 32-34 suitable to lower a 31 model A and a simple bolt on? Same for 35/36 axles with 32-34 spring perches?

Gesendet von meinem D6603 mit Tapatalk

my2nd40 10-24-2016 09:00 AM

I'm putting this setup together for my 30 roadster. 1934 axle, 1932 perch pins, 1932 spindles, 1931 king pins, 1931 actuator, 1931 brakes. Only mocked up right now but everything looks ok.

kkarlsrud 11-01-2016 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzlegend (Post 1359179)
Yes. Made an adjustable one and also installed a new short pitmen arm from Bert's model a. Hope this helps.

This helps out a lot zzlegend! Now I just need to set the engine in the frame and get ride height to make the accurate bends and setup my split wishbones!

Scott F. 02-17-2017 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Trying to fit my 32 actuators but something seems wrong. Can someone look at pics and help me to understand why this isnt working. My actuators seem too long. When the actuator is in the king pin ball the threaded hole/boss in actuator is probably half to .750" too far away.

62pan 02-18-2017 09:29 AM

If both sides are the same something might not be correct. If it is just one side check to see if the perch matches the other side. Might have to heat and adjust the perch mount. I had to do this to mine but the acuators were not as far away from the perch mount as yours.

Tom Wesenberg 02-19-2017 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott F. (Post 1430815)
Trying to fit my 32 actuators but something seems wrong. Can someone look at pics and help me to understand why this isnt working. My actuators seem too long. When the actuator is in the king pin ball the threaded hole/boss in actuator is probably half to .750" too far away.

Looks like the actuators and kingpins are on the wrong ends of the axle. Swap sides and put the arms up instead of down. Also the arms are riveted to the shaft backwards. The arms should be UP and OUTWARD, so they clear the shocks. OUTWARD means slanted toward the backing plates.

62pan 02-19-2017 09:00 AM

One more thing I noticed is there is no lock bolt to position the king pin. Are you sure it is in the right position. And as Tom said if this is for a Model A and not a 32 the acuating arms should be in the upwards position. See my post #73.