The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   clueless Ford salesman (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221414)

pgerhardt 05-24-2017 07:50 PM

clueless Ford salesman

1 Attachment(s)
I took my tudor out on an errand today to drop off some paperwork at Colonial Ford (in Danbury). I pick up my new F-150 tomorrow. YEA!! When I went inside a young (about 35) salesman said, “Nice car! What kind is it?” “What, you don’t recognize a Ford when you see one!”, I replied. CLUELESS.:D

Dick Steinkamp 05-24-2017 07:56 PM

Re: clueless Ford salesman

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgerhardt (Post 1477095)
I took my tudor out on an errand today to drop off some paperwork at Colonial Ford (in Danbury). I pick up my new F-150 tomorrow. YEA!! When I went inside a young (about 35) salesman said, “Nice car! What kind is it?” “What, you don’t recognize a Ford when you see one!”, I replied. CLUELESS.:D

I've got to admit, I couldn't recognize some of the new Fords as a Ford if my life depended on it...just as I wouldn't expect all young people to recognize every old car that I can.

jm29henry 05-24-2017 08:15 PM

A ford dealer in mi Russ Milne Ford has a 1930 coupe on the show room floor .its pretty cool

jb-ob 05-24-2017 08:56 PM

Only car on the grounds with white walls.......

mountstimothy0 05-24-2017 09:20 PM

That is funny. Especially at a Ford dealership. Reminds me of when I went to Menards. I asked a probably 30 yr old guy where the paint for a wood burning stove was, and he replied "huh. I didn't know they made stoves out of wood"! I looked at my wife and said, "we're going to Lowes".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

pgerhardt 05-24-2017 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jm29henry (Post 1477106)
A ford dealer in mi Russ Milne Ford has a 1930 coupe on the show room floor .its pretty cool

I was invited to put my tudor in their show room. I told them, "maybe next winter."

pgerhardt 05-24-2017 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp (Post 1477098)
I've got to admit, I couldn't recognize some of the new Fords as a Ford if my life depended on it...just as I wouldn't expect all young people to recognize every old car that I can.

Yeah, but then there is that blue oval on the radiator shell.:rolleyes:

Chuck Sea/Tac 05-24-2017 10:09 PM

Bowen scarf ford in auburn has a model t right outside the entry under cover. They sold the car originally, and bought it back from the owner when she was in her eighties.

P.S. 05-24-2017 11:49 PM

Good one!

When the wife and I were looking for a new Jeep for her DD, we happened to be out in the Tudor when we got the idea to stop at the Jeep dealership in Lodi for another look at one of the models. Salespeople (like circling sharks) came out as we pulled in, and immediately pounced upon us, offering us a ridiculously low trade-in value for the Tudor. I told them, "If we used this as our trade-in, you would owe US money!". Despite repeatedly telling them the Model A was not for sale, they kept trying to pry the car from us.

Partly because they were so disrespectful of the Model A, we bought the wife's new Jeep from a different dealer.

Synchro909 05-25-2017 01:09 AM

About 12 mnonths ago, I took delivery of a 1930 CCPU I bought out of Phoenix Az. The previous owner had it serviced at his local Ford bealership before he sent it. What a balls up they made of it. When I received the car, the diff was bone dry, as was the Mitchell O/D. I think they didn't even have the square tool to undo the plug. The brakes were so far out of adjustment they were dangerous, the gearbox only had less than half the correct amount of oil in it, the steering box no better and the sticker on the windscreen said the next oil change was due in 3,000 miles.:eek:
To say they were bloody hopeless is a masterful understatement!

updraught 05-25-2017 02:05 AM

You mean ...

They haven't read the Service Bulletins? :mad:

Gunmetal blue2 05-25-2017 07:23 AM

In northern Indiana a lady has a Model A in here garage that is up on jacks. Her husband bought the car new, he drove it home parked it in the garage. That night the man died of a heart attack. The car has only seen the outside from the dealer ship to home.

KGBnut 05-25-2017 07:34 AM

I stopped by the Ford Dealer in Stamford a couple of years ago in my '30 Coupe. Everybody, staff and customers, took great interest. Then the service manager took me in the back. There they had a Model T in the back (I think it was a 1913). They had taken in an odd trade from a priest that had inherited it from his brother. It had been sitting there a few years because nobody knew anything about it.

I am by no means a Model T guy, but I was able to consult enough to let them know that they had a good one, and helped them understand the basics of getting it going. I also pointed out that it was about to turn 100 years old. The best part was that I had my daughter with me, who was about 13 at the time. She was able to tell them more about their car than they knew.

Needless to say, they got it running in time for its 100th anniversary, and I see it occasionally at shows or parades, and once in a while it is in their showroom.

phonconn 05-25-2017 08:30 AM

Got one for ya! Went into Home Depot for some wood screws for a project(non Model A) and a young man greeted me just inside the door. I asked "Please point me in the direction of your wood screws". He replied you want pluses or minuses.
I was quite confused as I didn't think wood screws had a polarity issue one way or the other and I guess the confusion frustrated the young man. He held up his hands in an + and asked once again pluses or minuses as he changed his hand to a horizontal - sign.
So I was educated that day that phillips head screws are "pluses" and that slotted head screws are "minuses".
What an old man can learn from this new generation is astounding.
Go figure.

Terry, NJ 05-25-2017 08:33 AM

That is pretty good! When you consider that the Ford agencies around here had posters of the front of a mod.A , painted with Copra Drab, hanging on the walls.
Lack of product knowledge and history!
Terry

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgerhardt (Post 1477095)

Jeff/Illinois 05-25-2017 08:36 AM

Lakis Ford in Galesburg used to have a 1924 Model T Tudor in their showroom and a 1937 Ford V-8 Tudor, They were neat to see.

Galesburg Lincoln-Mercury, back in the late 60's early 70's, always had a restored Model A in their showroom that was also for sale. When it got sold they'd bring another one in to take it's place. I don't know who was restoring the cars but I recall them being pretty nice. Pop and I stopped in there a LOT to see the Model A Fords.

Sunset Ford out in Orange County, California before they closed a few years ago always had several antique Fords, T's-A's-V8's mid 50's F Series pickups on display in their showroom along with fully restored antique visible gasoline pumps with globes lit up. It was fun just to stop in there and see them!

That really adds to a dealership. If you are selling cars you need to be in love with them at the same time especially Fords in a Ford dealership. Gustafson Ford in Kewanee has nice big framed factory Ford prints all around the showroom of scenes with T's-A's and V-8's plus picture albums and books in the lounge area all Ford related.

40 Deluxe 05-25-2017 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunmetal blue2 (Post 1477229)
In northern Indiana a lady has a Model A in here garage that is up on jacks. Her husband bought the car new, he drove it home parked it in the garage. That night the man died of a heart attack. The car has only seen the outside from the dealer ship to home.

This story has all the earmarks of an urban myth! She would have to be about 110 years old! And still living in the same house? Was she married to a man her grandfather's age? Did he put the car on jacks that night or did she do it later? Why? Are there any pictures of the car? Or of the house/garage? Has she done anything to keep mice out of the car? Did she drain the cooling system or is the block broken? Lots of unanswered questions!

BILL WILLIAMSON 05-25-2017 10:09 AM

I "heard" of a Man with a Model A, traded it straight across, for a NEW Ford Pickup, at a Dealership!!
It was a left over year model, with a LOW stock number, a FUNNY odd color & a DEAD battery!!! They DID give him a NEW battery (SMILE)
Perla, my Home Help Gal, inherited a 1999 Ford Pickup, with ONLY 83 MILES on it!!! It even has a "POP OUT" AM-FM Radio! Remember those??
With a new battery, all fluids changed, it ran like a TOP! One week later, the R/F tire EXPLODED, like a BOMB!!!---("But it wuz NEW"??) Still had the NUBBIES on it.
Vermins' tires were like that, but the sidewalls were cracked BAD, worse on the INSIDE, I even pulled off a chunk of rubber, BUT they held air for MONTHS & never looked "LOW"----"Somebody" in Canada wanted to buy my TUBES, when I bought NEW Coker Classic Blackwalls.
Bill W.

Benson 05-25-2017 10:53 AM

Reminds me of the guy selling THE ORIGINAL Bonnie and Clyde "shootout" 34 Ford V8 with pictures and everything!

Full of holes and all ... some holes were even .22 caliber!

How many COPS and FEDS in 1934 used .22s or .223s?

The thing that gave it all away for sure was that the driver's side door handle had much of the plating worn off of the handle!!

How did that happen on a car that was LESS than a year old when the shootout occurred?

Strange how the true can be changed!!

Tom Wesenberg 05-25-2017 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phonconn (Post 1477255)
Got one for ya! Went into Home Depot for some wood screws for a project(non Model A) and a young man greeted me just inside the door. I asked "Please point me in the direction of your wood screws". He replied you want pluses or minuses.
I was quite confused as I didn't think wood screws had a polarity issue one way or the other and I guess the confusion frustrated the young man. He held up his hands in an + and asked once again pluses or minuses as he changed his hand to a horizontal - sign.
So I was educated that day that phillips head screws are "pluses" and that slotted head screws are "minuses".
What an old man can learn from this new generation is astounding.
Go figure.

LOL, that sure is a new one on me. :D

Did you educate him about slotted and Philips head?

If you asked him for pan head screws, he probably would have taken you to the frying pans. :D