The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Door panel backing material? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333400)

rottenron36 11-27-2023 09:09 AM

Door panel backing material?

I'm working on my 39 ford standard 2 dr sedan. I would like to know what kind of backing material to use for door panels and kick panels? I have the originals and believe I can use the better ones for a pattern. Going to home depot to look. Any Ideas will help. Thanks Ron

Tony, NY 11-27-2023 09:25 AM

Re: Door panel backing material?

I've used sheets of wood paneling around 1/8" thick. Some use masonite but it's thicker. There are sheets of expanded pvc that sign makers use. Also the real door panel material is available but expensive.

woodiewagon46 11-27-2023 09:29 AM

I believe Restoration Specialties has door panel material.

marko39 11-27-2023 09:34 AM

I used heavy cardboard for my kick panels and painted them black. They look pretty good.

19Fordy 11-27-2023 09:38 AM

Remember, using too thick a door panel material will make it difficult to install your door handles. Also, don't forget to install a plastic sheet water barrier. Original OEM cars didn't have this but Lebarron Bonney used to recommend it for their kits.

T Scott 11-27-2023 10:23 AM

Rex Pegg in Tacoma stocks "panel board" for automotive upholstery. I think these guys are wholesale only but I'm sure they would steer you to a shop that handles their materials.

TJ 11-27-2023 10:40 AM

Check with your local auto upholstery shop. They may have some in stock or can order it for you. Also your local Hobby Lobby has panel board you can use. The use of plastic sheeting on the back of the board is always a good idea.

Kube 11-27-2023 10:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
TJ has this correct on all accounts.
I like to add sound deadening material as well.
I use heavy gauge painters plastic, 4 mil if I recall correctly.

19Fordy 11-27-2023 10:59 AM

"Kube": Thanks for posting such excellent photos.

rottenron36 11-27-2023 11:08 AM

Thanks for all the replies, good info! Barners always come through. Thanks again Ron

Newc 11-27-2023 11:39 PM

Being local, I am able to walk -in at SMS, and get great service. just bought two big sheets of uphoulstery board. Also helped out a Canadian with his order. Newc

Graeme / New Zealand 11-27-2023 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 2272620)
Remember, using too thick a door panel material will make it difficult to install your door handles. Also, don't forget to install a plastic sheet water barrier. Original OEM cars didn't have this but Lebarron Bonney used to recommend it for their kits.

Exactly. My trimmer did a fantastic job on my interior but he used the thicker stuff, it was a real bugger to get the handle and window winder back on when I removed the panel recently. Took me the best part of a morning Faffing around.

GB

rich b 11-28-2023 12:30 AM

I use 1/8" ABS from the local plastic supplier. Easy to work with and has a pebble grain on one side which looks good if you aren't ready for finish trim; but don't want open door and quarter cavities.

Ron Pilger 11-28-2023 09:53 AM

High-density polyethylene (HDPE), also known as puck board or arena board, works like magic. Easy to cut or shape. Easy to glue material on. Won't rot, ever. Won't break down for centuries. I use on kick panels, too. Never loses it's shape like cardboard. No need to use additional plastic behind like LB used to.

ScubaChief60 11-29-2023 08:05 PM

I fashioned the door panels for my 1935 from corrugated plastic sheets. a 4 foot by 8 foot sheet at Lowes Home Improvement here in NC was $36. Took three sheets for my Model 48 Fordor. It looks like corrugated cardboard but it is white plastic about 1/4" thick at most. Worked great! At Lowes it is found stored near the Plexiglas.

37 truck 11-30-2023 10:01 AM

Quite Ride Solutions sells door panels that fit your vehicle made of an ABS plastic with the holes in place and ready to go. A little pricey, but saves a bunch of time.

marko39 11-30-2023 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37 truck (Post 2273396)
Quite Ride Solutions sells door panels that fit your vehicle made of an ABS plastic with the holes in place and ready to go. A little pricey, but saves a bunch of time.

I believe they sell kick panels also but they are not very hard to make yourself.