The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   For Minnesota guys with cars that are still 6 volt (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266932)

tubman 07-28-2019 11:56 AM

For Minnesota guys with cars that are still 6 volt

In Minnesota, a new law takes effect August 1st that prohibits using hand-held cell phones in a moving vehicle. I am sure that other states and locales have (or will have) laws of this nature. I found this $20 gadject on Amazon.com that solves this problem. I've had it for about a week, and it works well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

expavr 07-28-2019 12:24 PM

Re: For Minnesota guys with cars that are still 6 volt

Is an adapter required to allow for charging the unit from a 6V system? If so what did you use to do this? Thanks.
Les Williams

tubman 07-28-2019 12:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
My partner and I have developed a device that supplies 12 volt negative ground and USB power from 6 volts positive ground. It is quite a sophisticated device, because the 6 volt and 12 volt power have a common ground and it effectively filters the power so that the 12 volt devices are not blown up by voltage spikes and inadvertent grounding. That way, I can leave the device in the car.

However, the internal batteries in this "hands-free" device have many hours of life, so when you leave the car you can take it with you once in a while and recharge it on a regular USB charger.

We are still in the final testing stages with our power converter and expect to release it shortly. I have been running one in my '51 coupe for several weeks now. I have a backup camera, a Garmin GPS, a CD player and speakers, and this device running on the car. The beauty of this new stuff (admittedly from China) is their low current requirements. The current draw required on the 6 volt side by all of these devices simultaneously is less than 1 amp, which does not overly tax the charging system in the car.

Here is a picture of the unit. This is our prototype which has a monitoring device on it so I can see how much what uses. It can be hardwired into the car or plugged into the cigar lighter (if the car has one).

estout81 07-28-2019 03:10 PM

This is how I'm going to comply if Ohio passes such a law. NO CELL PHONE! Don't have one and don't need one!

tubman 07-28-2019 03:12 PM

Good for you. Thank you for the helpful post, luddite.

estout81 07-28-2019 03:16 PM

You are welcome.:D

petehoovie 07-28-2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estout81 (Post 1781655)
This is how I'm going to comply if Ohio passes such a law. NO CELL PHONE! Don't have one and don't need one!

estout81....You should consider one for your glove box. I use to feel the same as you do with respect to cell phones until that day I broke down out in the boonies. I keep one just for that reason now to call AAA. I have no use for it otherwise and only turn it on for outgoing calls when I need assistance....Peace of mind....

tubman 07-28-2019 03:55 PM

Good point. Have you tried to find a pay phone lately?

50fordcoupeman 07-28-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1781593)
In Minnesota, a new law takes effect August 1st that prohibits using hand-held cell phones in a moving vehicle. I am sure that other states and locales have (or will have) laws of this nature. I found this $20 gadject on Amazon.com that solves this problem. I've had it for about a week, and it works well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That has been the law here in Oregon for several years but doesn't seem affect drivers much.

philipswanson 07-29-2019 09:44 AM

It's about time Minnesota passed this law. In CA we have outlawed cell phone use while driving for many years. Hands free is better than nothing but the problem is the mental distraction while driving.

Chuck Sea/Tac 07-29-2019 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petehoovie (Post 1781665)
estout81....You should consider one for your glove box. I use to feel the same as you do with respect to cell phones until that day I broke down out in the boonies. I keep one just for that reason now to call AAA. I have no use for it otherwise and only turn it on for outgoing calls when I need assistance....Peace of mind....

Except for when you break down 5 miles up a backroads short cut by Petes house, with NO cell service. Then you rely on friends with you and the occasional friendly local.

estout81 07-29-2019 04:05 PM

Watch out Chuck and Phil! You will get labeled a Luddite and get sent to the Sherwood forest.;)

Anteek29 07-29-2019 05:58 PM

Judging from the title I expected the discussion to be about trying to get 6 volt engines to turn over in freezing weather :)

koates 07-29-2019 06:49 PM

WOW !! I must be a luddite too because I don't use a cell phone at all whilst driving as it is against the law here in Australia. Big fines apply (about $400). You have to stop your car in a safe place and turn off the engine before touching your phone. But half the population take no notice of that. Its a big distraction in concentration and the cause of many crashes. Regards, Kevin.

Tinker 07-29-2019 07:08 PM

Interesting idea! The older versions of 6v to 12v were huge.

You can use siri on a apple phone. Typical phones charge at 1.5a to 2.5a @ 5 volts.

Or leave it a home. Phones are nice to have when traveling though.

tubman 07-29-2019 07:26 PM

Some people like cell phones; some people don't. I don't understand why it is the latter who feel they have to post on this thread.

As has been said many times and many places before, If you're not interested, don't click on it. By posting negative comments, you are saying more about yourself than the subject of the thread.