The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Military Ford GTB.... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168703)

41panelmark 05-13-2015 10:19 PM

Military Ford GTB....

1 Attachment(s)
Thought you guys might like to see this. My friend just finished this one up. Don't see a lot of these around I guess.

Barry-ct 05-14-2015 08:08 AM

Re: Military Ford GTB....

Most were used by the Navy during the 2nd WW. Army got some, but very few. Some of the engine parts are unique to it. A lot had a bomb carrying trolley and hoist setup on them and no cargo box as this pic shows. There are still a few out our way as we had Quonset Point in R.I. and the sub base at Groton, Ct. The fruit growers in Calif used a lot as they were the right size for the orchards and cheap after the war.

rockfla 05-14-2015 08:13 AM

We are into Ford Military Jeeps, many years ago we had one here in Jax FL that had the Bomb trolley on the back in near perfect condition that my dad passed up. Came from NAS Jacksonville Cecil Field. Really think they are cool looking, wish we had of bought it.

1952henry 05-14-2015 07:11 PM

Nice job! The other day I saw an old c&@#y tonner with what looked like a GTB cargo bed on it. Scandalous.

JM 35 Sedan 05-15-2015 06:27 AM

There is a show here in Maryland today and tomorrow where you just might see one of these vehicles on display.

Aberdeen, MD 42nd Annual East Coast Military Vehicle Rally & Flea Market at Ripken Stadium just off Interstate 95

Barry-ct 05-15-2015 11:19 AM

Been to Aberdeen proving grounds many times as President of the Ct. chapter MVPA. Got away from Olive drab in the 90's and back to old Fords. We used to charter a bus and the club members would go down for the day. WE got into testing areas the general public could not. Cool stuff down there and a great museum.

41panelmark 05-15-2015 05:47 PM

Re: Military Ford GTB.... more photos

4 Attachment(s)
More photos before and in process.

41panelmark 05-16-2015 07:52 AM

I forgot, here is a pic of the engine. Nothing pretty about this engine. 226 CI. It won't win a beauty contest but it runs great. A couple of oddities he found. The internal components (shaft and seals)of a 4 cylinder Willys Jeep water pump will work. The external part of the pumps don't even resemble each other. No one makes a water pump kit for the early Ford Flathead six.
Also the fuel pump diaphragm and valves from an earlier Ford V8 kit will work. The mechanical arms are different.

41panelmark 05-16-2015 07:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
forgot the engine photo. Nothing pretty about this engine. 226 CI. It won't win a beauty contest but it runs great. A couple of oddities he found. The internal components (shaft and seals)of a 4 cylinder Willys Jeep water pump will work. The external part of the pumps don't even resemble each other.

No one makes a water pump kit for the early Ford Flathead six. Also the fuel pump diaphragm and valves from an earlier Ford V8 kit will work. The mechanical arms are different.

Vintage Copper 47 06-27-2017 11:11 PM

Love these.. Also called "Burma" jeeps

alanwoodieman 06-28-2017 10:44 AM

a lot of these went to Australia and the mid-east for the British army

Mike/Franklin 06-29-2017 08:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How about this one? Taken 6/25/2017 at Brooklyn CT truck show. Groton , CT fire dept.

1952henry 06-29-2017 09:57 AM

Kind of related, just looked at a Ford GP with original 9N engine and Model A transmission. Been in a neighbor's family since after the war. Kept in the proverbial barn. It has a build date from April 1941.

alanwoodieman 06-29-2017 01:10 PM

1952henry--can you get any pictures of the Gp with the 9n engine?

rockfla 06-29-2017 02:52 PM

@1952Henry
Can you get some pic's of the GP. We have two, one is being restored right now!!!!

meric42 06-29-2017 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 41panelmark (Post 1086674)
forgot the engine photo. Nothing pretty about this engine. 226 CI. It won't win a beauty contest but it runs great. A couple of oddities he found. The internal components (shaft and seals)of a 4 cylinder Willys Jeep water pump will work. The external part of the pumps don't even resemble each other.

No one makes a water pump kit for the early Ford Flathead six. Also the fuel pump diaphragm and valves from an earlier Ford V8 kit will work. The mechanical arms are different.

I bought a complete water pump, gasket set and an oil pump kit from Joblot, all NOS WWII Surplus. They had a lot of G-series parts back then. Maybe whoever bought their stock has some still?