The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   '40 Pickup full restoration project (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205069)

Kube 06-26-2017 08:57 PM

Re: '40 Pickup full restoration project

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuce5wndw (Post 1491166)
Wow! That is a beauty! Great job Kube!

Thanks Deuce (and others) for the very kind words. Truly, I appreciate you all.
This was a fun project being so different from the coupes and convertibles I'd done in the past. A nice "deviation" for a bit...

done4 06-27-2017 08:12 AM

Looks really good Kube, excellent job!

Scott/Mn 06-27-2017 08:48 AM

Kube, beautiful truck- exceptional restoration work!
The '40-41 pickups are on my favorites list.

Seth Swoboda 06-27-2017 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1491201)
Most likely it'll be in Dearborn. I am doing my best to get my convertible done in time as well. I was thinking of starting a similar thread about that project.

Start the convertible thread please. I'd love to see that.

hotrodA 06-27-2017 09:14 AM

WOW!
That's perfect! And in only a year.
We mortals could only hope for those results.
Thanks for the tutorial on how it should be done.

Tinker 06-27-2017 12:48 PM

Very nice man!

V8COOPMAN 06-27-2017 02:21 PM

Ya know, I've never met Kubarth (Kube here on the barn), but we all know by now that he's overly-infatuated with '40 Fords. You could probably safely say that he's pretty damned knowledgeable about every single nut and bolt that Henry designed into these '40s. Most folks on this FordBarn are well-aware of the advice and help that Mike has given to members here over the years. Most are also familiar with many of the absolutely beautiful restorations that Mike has done in the past, and that virtually every one of his restorations ends-up being judged to at least 998 or 999 out of 1,000. Mike (or anyone that is SO insistent about EVERY last detail) has to be what I would call "anal", or anal-retentive. And, that is meant to be a compliment, Kube! My point here is that Mike does beautiful, pristine, perfectly-aligned, nothing overlooked, fully-detailed and accurate restorations. One would have to agree that '40 Fords just don't get restored "any more-better" than a Kubarth restoration. It's obvious that the guy just "feels" the depth of ALL that it takes to finally send one of his RE-creations out the door. Keeping all of this in mind, it's easy to forget just how many "perfectly finished" coupes and convertibles that Kube has returned to "better than factory" finish. But since this is the first pick-up that Mike has done, and realizing that certainly no other '40 pick-up was ever built in a Ford factory to this degree of absolute perfection, I wonder if Kube (or anyone else) has come to the realization that this most-certainly MUST be the "MOST-PERFECTLY ASSEMBLED" 1940 Ford pick-up EVER found on Planet Earth? 'Tis a thing of beauty, for sure! DD

Anteek29 06-27-2017 11:12 PM

Superb craftsmanship and restoration! I love the color :)

funrunr 06-28-2017 05:10 AM

As always, you have finished some very impressive work. One of my favorite pictures would be about 2 pages back with the right rear tire off showing how detailed it is in an area that most will never see. Thank you for sharing with us.

Kube 06-28-2017 03:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by funrunr (Post 1491781)
As always, you have finished some very impressive work. One of my favorite pictures would be about 2 pages back with the right rear tire off showing how detailed it is in an area that most will never see. Thank you for sharing with us.

I've known for some time that you and I share some of the same delights. Like you, I love detail - especially the chassis. I prefer to paint these vehicles in color to show that detail off. While I have done black cars, they just don't get me as excited as cars of color. Looking beneath a colored car and seeing the black frame against the colored floor pans just does something to satisfy my OCD a little.

This truck required more time than I'd figured just to get the bed (bottom) as detailed as I wanted. As many know, Ford dipped the wood pieces in a mixture that caused the wood to turn for the most part - black. During the process of painting the bed (assembly line) overspray upon the wood was inevitable and hardly discouraged.
As you can see in one of the photos herein attached, I could not bring myself to do that.

buzz4041 08-02-2017 12:06 PM

Stunning craftsmanship Kube. Well done !!!

rotorwrench 08-02-2017 01:15 PM

I don't think the over-restore police will show up for that. Looks good on top. Might as well look good on the bottom too.

TomT/Williamsburg 08-02-2017 02:03 PM

Great, great work - super craftsmanship but then again, we've all see your work before and know what you are about. I just love 40-41 pickups and I totally get the "detail" of contrasting color combo - makes things pop. I call it paint and detail ....

IndianapolisRacer 05-30-2020 10:03 PM

And I thank you for pointing his work out to me .